joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Week of March Nor'Easter

Capt. Adam

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of ya'll need to be realistic on expectations and not look at the poor performing models or Henry Marguisty BS.

*Precip intensity is going to determine if it snows or not.

*GFS is the exception to the rule (no, the NAM doesn't count).

*Screaming east wind off of Atlantic.

...this is not a good scenario for snow east of 95.

Some of ya'll need to be realistic on expectations and not look at the poor performing models or Henry Marguisty BS.

*Precip intensity is going to determine if it snows or not.

*GFS is the exception to the rule (no, the NAM doesn't count).

*Screaming east wind off of Atlantic.

...this is not a good scenario for snow east of 95.

Exactly, snow will not be the issue down here in SJ, but I'm growing increasingly worried about our shore communities in reference to coastal flood/surge issues, and the wind factor in general down here.

Exactly, snow will not be the issue down here in SJ, but I'm growing increasingly worried about our shore communities in reference to coastal flood/surge issues, and the wind factor in general down here.

Given the potential surge+tide at Lewes & Cape May could be 8-9' on Wednesday night/Thursday AM, I would definitely be concerned if I had property at the Shore.

Given the potential surge+tide at Lewes & Cape May could be 8-9' on Wednesday night/Thursday AM, I would definitely be concerned if I had property at the Shore.

I've been looking for tidal forecasts but have been unable to find them that far out. 8-9 feet is Sandy-esque levels...

Regardless of snow or no snow, that roller coaster sitting in the ocean off Seaside might not need to be dismantled after this storm. The wave action will do it. The coastal pounding will be the big story here.

Um, damn....if that verifies the coast is screwed. I don't live along the coast but have seen the damage personally. This is a death sentence for coastal recovery.

The GFS shows a non-accumulating rain/snow mix.

The UKMET, GGEM, and Euro all show essentially no precip up here.

Can you explain why people are excited? Because I really can't figure it out...

For majority yes but some people that would be accum snow. Like Paul locale and maybe my work where elev is 500ft or higher. If the gfs was right that would accum something. But I wouldn't expect more than 1-3 right now.

Hpc

A SIGNIFICANT UPPER TROUGH/SHORT WAVE WILL TRACK FROM THE NRNROCKIES/PLAINS TO THE MID-ATL COAST OVER THE NEXT THREE DAYS...PRODUCING WIDESPREAD WINTER WEATHER AND HVY SNOW. AFTER MONTHOUGH... THIS FCST BECOMES RATHER UNCERTAIN FROM WI/IA/IL TO THEDELMARVA WITH ENOUGH MODEL SPREAD TO WHERE 100 TO 300 MILESDIFFERENCE ON THE TRACK OF THE SYSTEM WILL HAVE HUGE IMPACT ONSNOWFALL AMOUNTS FOR PLACES LIKE CHICAGO AND THE DC/BALTIMOREAREA

AS THE SYSTEM CONTINUES TO AMPLIFY ON TUES... DIGGING E-SEWD FROMTHE DAKOTAS INTO THE MID TO UPPER MS VLY... A NEW SURFACE LOW WILLLIKELY DEVELOP NEAR THE TN/LWR OH VLYS. STRONG LOW LVL CONVERGENCEALONG AN INVERTED SFC TROF AND NEAR THE TRACK OF THE LOW LVLCENTER WILL COINCIDE WITH AN AREA OF ENHANCED UPR DIVERGENCEAFFORDED BY AN UPR JET COUPLET TO PRODUCE A SWATH MDT/HVY SNOWSFROM MN TO NRN AND CENTRAL IL/IN. THIS IS WHERE THE GUIDANCEBEGINS TO VARY... WITH THE NAM/GFS/SREF MEAN BEING NRN OUTLIERSAND THE ECMWF/UKMET BEING MORE SRN OUTLYING SOLUTIONS. HPC WENTWITH A COMPROMISE BETWEEN THE GFS AND ECMWF... WHICH INCLUDED BOTHGLOBAL MODEL MEANS ON THE HVY SNOWFALL AXIS STRETCHING FROM SERNMN TO NRN IL.

AS THE LOWINTENSIFIES RAPIDLY OVER THE SRN MID-ATL STATES. THIS SHOULDGRADUALLY HELP THE SUSPECT BOUNDARY LAYER TEMPS EAST OF THEAPPALACHIANS COOL AND BEGIN TO PRODUCE PERHAPS THE LARGESTSNOWFALL OF THE SEASON FOR SOME IN THE DELMARVA. HOWEVER... THEGUIDANCE SHOWS WIDE SPREAD AND THE CURRENT AIR MASS PRESENT ACROSSTHE REGION IS NOTHING TO GET REAL EXCITED ABOUT... THUS STRONGDYNAMIC COOLING/VERTICAL LIFT WILL BE NEEDED FOR HVY SNOW EAST OFTHE MTNS. HPC FOLLOWED A MAJOR COMPROMISE FOR HVY SNOW PROBS...THOUGH THE 12Z ECMWF DOES APPEAR TO BE A HAPPY MEDIUM BETWEEN THENRN GFS AND SRN UKMET... FOR HVY SNOW PROBS OF 8 AND 12 INCHESFROM THE UPPER LOW CENTER OVER IN TO OROGRAPHICALLY FAVOREDAPPALACHIANS INTO PARTS OF VA/MD.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=qpfhsd

Not saying it will happen but they see the possibilty. There's a reason they're the best in the business...they're not drizzle virga flurrie model huggers

I agree, but it's strange seeing them hang on when normally they are first to throw the towel.

So what's the latest?

EURO & GGEM south

GFS NAM SREFS JMA- North

Did NCEP report any initialization errors, or was it a clean run?

NOUS42 KWNO 040145
ADMNFD
SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
0144Z MON MAR 04 2013
THE 00Z NCEP MODEL PRODUCTION HAS STARTED ON TIME.
00Z NAM RAOB RECAP...
72240/LCH - FLIGHT EQUIPMENT FAILURE...10158
74494/CHH - FLIGHT EQUIPMENT FAILURE...10158
72558/OAX - GROUND EQUIPMENT FAILURE...10142
91765/PPG - GROUND EQUIPMENT FAILURE...10142
78970/POS - 10159
91376/MAJ - PURGED TEMPS/MOISTURE 127-103 MB...TOO COLD
91334/TKK - PURGED TEMPS/MOISTURE 850-809 MB...WET BULB EFFECT
HANDEL/SDM/NCO/NCEP

It initialized 100 mb temps too cold, but I doubt that helps you.   :P

Although I'm not sure what's being referred to by "wet bulb effect"

NOUS42 KWNO 040145
ADMNFD
SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
0144Z MON MAR 04 2013
THE 00Z NCEP MODEL PRODUCTION HAS STARTED ON TIME.
00Z NAM RAOB RECAP...
72240/LCH - FLIGHT EQUIPMENT FAILURE...10158
74494/CHH - FLIGHT EQUIPMENT FAILURE...10158
72558/OAX - GROUND EQUIPMENT FAILURE...10142
91765/PPG - GROUND EQUIPMENT FAILURE...10142
78970/POS - 10159
91376/MAJ - PURGED TEMPS/MOISTURE 127-103 MB...TOO COLD
91334/TKK - PURGED TEMPS/MOISTURE 850-809 MB...WET BULB EFFECT
HANDEL/SDM/NCO/NCEP

It initialized 100 mb temps too cold, but I doubt that helps you.   :P

Although I'm not sure what's being referred to by "wet bulb effect"

LOL.. yeah, wasn't planning to go to the upper limits of the atmosphere to sample the temperatures.  Glad to see that NCEP is on top of it though.   :)

Edit:  I think it's actually more like 10 miles up, but either way, still not interested in going there....

Archived