Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOth options are believable, the models are not going to get the details that will determine the exact storm track right at this range.  But the signal for a storm is there.  Of course given the seasonal trend its best to go in expected our area to get screwed somehow, but at least its one last thing to track. 

BOth options are believable, the models are not going to get the details that will determine the exact storm track right at this range.  But the signal for a storm is there.  Of course given the seasonal trend its best to go in expected our area to get screwed somehow, but at least its one last thing to track. 

euro also has a powerful low at 240 in the desert S/w. Maybe that is our storm in the 28th storm is just an appetizer

Our best chance would be as the NAO breaks down.  If we do get a +PNA at the same time we still have the -NAO, chances are the way that breaks down is with a major amplified system on the east coast.  Usually the last wave is the one that deepends the furthest south.  NOT always but often times that gives us the best chance.  Of course we are quickly running out of time also, so this is a double edged sword.  We are running out of "nexts" 

euro also has a powerful low at 240 in the desert S/w. Maybe that is our storm in the 28th storm is just an appetizer

Did you look at the H5 on the euro?  It ends up with its solution by doing a pinwheel with the H5 low from the day 5 cutter up over the lakes.  I have seen that on models hundreds of times but rarely does it happen in reality.  ALso, the H5 cuts off and tracks from TN over central NC then exits off Norfolk VA.  That is not a bad track, actually about perfect for us.  THe problem is the initial surface low has developed so far west it cuts, as it would, but that H5 track would suggest to me there should be a secondary development way before the Euro surface indicates.  Either way that H5 suggests to me there is major potential, without much adjustment.  I also want to see the ensembles when they update.  Last night the Euro ensembles had a much more GFS like solution.  There is no way the models are going to show a major storm for us for every run for the next 7 days.  I still think this looks like a good setup.  At this range that just means we have a small chance at a major storm. 

That storm that would follow the March 1 event could have potential but it is so dependent upon all the events before it.   You are right the day 10 Euro looks like it might have something brewing but that is so far out, and is so unlikely to actually look that way in 10 days, its not worth getting into it.  But I do think we have a couple chances in early March before the NAO breaks down, the last one probably being our best.  Given its March they are still low probability, its just a shame we did not get this PNA/NAO configuration to line up during January or February. 

Note the differences in location of the ULL near the Lakes. If that doesn't get far enough east not enough cold air comes down. The GFS eventually shows a huge snowstorm because that ULL gets far enough east. Common ji, thought you'd be able to realize this....

The March 2001 storm did a wiggle with an ULL over SE Canada and shortwave in the south. GFS/EURO do similar things just and way different locations. 

EURO = raging rainstorm

GFS= blizzard setup. 

It all comes down to how far east that ULL gets...

post-8091-0-67361800-1361306385_thumb.gi

post-8091-0-91433600-1361306386_thumb.gi

didn't see it mentioned yet. Euro has an area of vorticity passing underneath us on Sunday with a couple patches of measurable precip over and south of DC. 850's cold enough so I assume snow with tyipcal bl issues. There seems to be some interaction with the low spinning over the great lakes and maybe the front off the coast. I can't really tell. Maps hurt my eyes.

Probably nothing but I'll never discount a vort passing south through NC and off the coast.

good news is the euro mean doesn't have that giant rainstorm.. instead some low that goes right over us but 850s are cold. bad news is there's like no precip over the US for a week after that. maybe there's a bug. it's literally wall to wall nothing thru 360.

Archived