e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February 13-14th Potential Winter Storm Threat Discussion

Zir0b

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference between this and jan is the BL should b aided by snow cover to some degre if it comes at nite. Then you re worry if you're on the south facing shore is an east wind would worry about ice more than rain if the precip is light.

No it is close and GFS tends to put the precipitation to far south and east, I like to see what the ECMWF has to say. If it is still OTS then NYC would has a slim chance on snow, it it does hit NYC I have no doubt it would be snow, unless it hugs the coast.

I'm looking for a trend from the euro, don't need it to be a hit.

I'm looking for a trend from the euro, don't need it to be a hit.

that would help - this is a thread the needle event - comes too far north gets too warm at various levels too south a southern slider and we get very light amounts 12Z GFS is threading the needle

The 12Z NOGAPS still is way right but its the closest its been yet, its basically almost 00Z Euro like, the Euro I think is missing something with this event, its not purely southern stream involved like this past one is and as a result we may be again seeing the GFS superiority with the northern stream again resulting in it having a better idea of whats going on, same thing thats been occurring all winter long.

Off topic, sorry... But   Living in Lynbrook (westernn Nassau off the southern state), where is the closest I can take a drive to today eastward to see first hand the 24" + snow amounts before being stopped by blocked LIE and Sunrise Hgwy roads? Suggestions, directions? ETA's LOL

From NE Nassau I drove east yesterday on 25A until I got to Huntington Village and New York Avenue (a.k.a Route 110). From that intersection east, all the way out, is probably where you would want to drive.

Although I wonder if there was more snow just south of there, away from the water and at higher elevation, say between 25A and 25(Jericho Tpk.).

From NE Nassau I drove east yesterday on 25A until I got to Huntington Village and New York Avenue (a.k.a Route 110). From that intersection east, all the way out, is probably where you would want to drive.

Although I wonder if there was more snow just south of there, away from the water and at higher elevation, say between 25A and 25(Jericho Tpk.).

There seemed to be a "max" just north of Medford along route 112, but all along that road (25A) truly has some epic scenes.

It has definitely been a northern stream dominated winter season so far. In the past seven days, we saw the birth of the southern stream with a phase up event and we saw modelling that indicated a vigorous southern stream continuing this week and beyond. The latest maps (all models) are now arguing that point. If the southern stream continues to show the kind of energy that interacted with the northern stream energy for this past event, our exciting weather will continue, including this week's threat, but if that southern stream energy has been overdone by the models, we *may* be going back to the boring pattern of December and January. The models are in the process of resolving this issue and may need several more run cycles.

WX/PT

The 12Z NOGAPS still is way right but its the closest its been yet, its basically almost 00Z Euro like, the Euro I think is missing something with this event, its not purely southern stream involved like this past one is and as a result we may be again seeing the GFS superiority with the northern stream again resulting in it having a better idea of whats going on, same thing thats been occurring all winter long.

I agree 100%.

starting to think the euro will come NW a bit as well.  

this is where the euro vs gfs debate gets more fuzzy because i have seen this before...GFS leads charge, euro follows, GFS then loses storm or backs off while euro holds serve and euro wins.  Obviously we have a long way to go, but in those scenarios, saying the GFS was onto it first would be a correct statement, but can we hand out praise if it loses the storm before bringing it back?  it is also why it's tricky to rely solely on verification scores, there should be like a QB rating for models taking into account wild swings in outcomes etc.

I have to believe the Euro comes NW after seeing the GEFS.

Might or might not-who knows, although the ensembles have been NW of the Euro op as well, which raises concerns it's too suppressed. It goes back to that kicker coming in behind our S/W, because otherwise this would amplify beautifully given the amplification out west.

many of you have forgotten that the euro while nailing sandy and this past event, has not been great this winter. Still the superior model for sure though. I don't necessarily think this is a major storm for our area, but based on the pattern it seems like we could be in for a moderate event, maybe on the order of 2-4in. I would not be surprised to see the euro tick NW

Archived