northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Feb 8th-9th Potential Blizzard

dryslot

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models will wobble back and forth dramatically with such a vigorous southern stream diabatic anomaly and the deep, moist convection that forms it. IMHO, the NAM/CMC/GFS will wobble more given their convective params than the ECMWF (especially the non-hydro 12 km NAM), and under similar events the past few years the ECMWF was most reliable with respect to moist convection and the related synoptic feedback with vigorous southern stream lows. 

GGEM also snows most of Saturday. End result is plenty of water. My guess is euro holds serve.

I am agreeing with your thinking.  There is a ton of moisture available with this system and I think this ends up being a very slow moving system which should really help out with higher end totals.  As always mesoscale features will be big, especially when it comes down to the axis of higher totals b/c this is looking significant no matter what.  So what if this turns out to be 8-16'' instead of 18-24'' or more...considering with what we've dealt with the past winter and a half nobody should be complaining.  

The storm could still be epic, let's just see what the EURO gives us tonight..

It def could be. Could be just merely a major storm too. People need to keep both options still on the table.

I do have a gut feeling that the non-hydrostatic models will handle this the best in the final 48 hours here.

It def could be. Could be just merely a major storm too. People need to keep both options still on the table.

I do have a gut feeling that the non-hydrostatic models will handle this the best in the final 48 hours here.

I guess I was thinking the opposite, especially the NAM 12 km. More interesting to see what the 4 km products suggest. Also the RGEM which is a brand new update to 10 km and is now running non-hydrostatic physics.

I guess I was thinking the opposite, especially the NAM 12 km. More interesting to see what the 4 km products suggest. Also the RGEM which is a brand new update to 10 km and is now running non-hydrostatic physics.

Well I recall in the last very dynamic storm with a lot of convection, Jan 12, 2011, the non-hydrostatic models like the NAM/SREF did better. But they have generally been so awful this winter that perhaps they aren't worth trusting. The ECMWF has been the most consistent with this storm thus far.

Gotta wonder whether the NAM and EURO are handling the convective situation the best......

This is just my personal opinion, but the NAM is just way too sensitive to moist convection over the Gulf Stream. It is likely a multitude of factors, but it was tuned more for severe convection over land. Not sure if it is the BL air-sea fluxes combined with the 12 km non-hydrostatic physics running convective params...but it always seemed much too sensitive to deep convection in these events. dtk would know much more even thought he doesn't work on the NAM.

NCEP diagnostic

THE 00Z NAM
AND 12Z ECMWF TUCK IN SFC LOW PRESSURE AND A POWERFUL DEFORMATION
ZONE CLOSER IN TO NEW ENGLAND VS THE 12Z UKMET/GEM GLOBAL SOLNS
AND NOW THE 00Z GFS WHICH ARE A TAD FARTHER EAST. GIVEN THE TREND
ON THE GFS TO SHIFT THE LOW TRACK A BIT TO THE RIGHT...WILL FAVOR
A ECMWF/GFS BLEND WITH LIMITED CONFIDENCE.

Well I recall in the last very dynamic storm with a lot of convection, Jan 12, 2011, the non-hydrostatic models like the NAM/SREF did better. But they have generally been so awful this winter that perhaps they aren't worth trusting. The ECMWF has been the most consistent with this storm thus far.

True, but correct me if I am wrong, but that was mainly a Miller B type event, this is a true Hybrid bordering on a Miller A with a very well defined southern stream diabatic anomaly...I think this system will have much more vigorous DMC than the aforementioned event.

Archived