• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
BANTER THREAD : "It's 4th a goal down by 5, 1 second left" "Ray good thing you didn't come home"

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish adam liked snow more. If he had a snow fetish like he does with tropical systems him and HM would be like the Rock and undertaker tag team of finding threats. Ray would be the guy that comes in afterwards and cleans up the broken ladders/tables and chair in the ring after they dominate.

I'm glad Adam doesn't like snow, it helps our subforum stay non-weenie for the most part.  If you want to be a weenie go over to the NYC subforum with John on Mt. Earthlight. ;)

And 6z, 12z, 18z..... it will probably end up a nowcast as even the clippers defied accuracy until the moment was upon us. Not venting at good forecasters here, just at the reliance on models that have been all over the place.

This storm is going to change at the last minute, earlier phase, later phase, something. Boston proper will not be the jackpot zone. Always shifts with the big storms. I'll eat my words if I'm wrong.

As long as that main course isn't the week of the 18th, I'm ok with it.

That being said, I am kind of bummed that we won't see the conditions that New England is going to see. While many of you saw similar in recent past winters, I've been pretty much shut out and haven't seen anything like the magnatude of the upcoming storm since 1996.

As long as that main course isn't the week of the 18th, I'm ok with it.

That being said, I am kind of bummed that we won't see the conditions that New England is going to see. While many of you saw similar in recent past winters, I've been pretty much shut out and haven't seen anything like the magnatude of the upcoming storm since 1996.

The month has just begun. If this first fails friday, we have several opportunities going forward, possibly ending with a bang before we warm up.

The one thing that has and continues to prevent me from being more confident in our area is the NAO. You just can't call for some major-historic snowstorm in our area / south without it. Situations like this week can still produce for our northern areas and New England but we need something better than a PV revolution / transient N. Atlantic ridge if we want big snows further south.

Having said that, the models are definitely moving in the right direction with awesome lows closing off (cyclonic wave breaking) through the next 10 days. This could bring on a legit -NAO in time for PD weekend.

Wes and you like it so I am optimistic for the first time this winter. From Wes in the MA thread:

This is by far the best D+11 of the season and it's not even close.   This is the kind of pattern where we can get a decent snowstorm during the 7 day window centered on Feb 17th.  This is an improvement from yesterday in that we now are getting low heights south of nova scotia extending backwards towards us.  NO wonder the models are picking up on so many threats. We finally are getting Bob's, Matt's and HMs better than average pattern.  Note how we finally have above normal heights across the Baffin bay area and Canada.  That makes it much easier for the southern stream to be the main player. 

Wes and you like it so I am optimistic for the first time this winter. From Wes in the MA thread:

This is by far the best D+11 of the season and it's not even close.   This is the kind of pattern where we can get a decent snowstorm during the 7 day window centered on Feb 17th.  This is an improvement from yesterday in that we now are getting low heights south of nova scotia extending backwards towards us.  NO wonder the models are picking up on so many threats. We finally are getting Bob's, Matt's and HMs better than average pattern.  Note how we finally have above normal heights across the Baffin bay area and Canada.  That makes it much easier for the southern stream to be the main player. 

Great to hear...it is always difficult to impress Wes so it's nice to have him agree.

A big storm on the 17th would be great, I have a long weekend and could fly back to enjoy it.

Great to hear...it is always difficult to impress Wes so it's nice to have him agree.

To impress both of you is even harder so I am getting a bit excited.

A big storm on the 17th would be great, I have a long weekend and could fly back to enjoy it.

Thanks for ruining it for all of us now :bag: .

So we should cancel that one now?  :whistle:

For the record, I've done 4 actual cross-country snow chases:

1)  December 19-20 2009:  Was hoping for a foot plus, "only" got 10" back home.  Of course Philly was not screwed.

2)  February 5-6 2010:  Again was hoping for a foot plus, again "only" got 10" back home.  And again, Philly was not screwed.

3)  February 25-26 2010:  Yet again hoping for a foot plus, but this one produced only about 8" back home.  Philly was screwed worse. NYC not so much.

4)  October 29 2011:  Was only expecting 2-4", got 3", making it the historic October storm of record.  Philly was screwed, but didn't care ;)  NYC got a similar amount of snow and set a similar record.

I did *not* chase the Boxing Day storm, I was already home for that one. 

Archived