SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Pattern and Storm Discussion

POWERSTROKE

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS does look very interesting in the LR and if we can get the flip then sure the sky is the limit. The Valentines Day storm has always looked more like a FROPA on the models not to mention it's 288 hours away. Truncation is building it to a Noah like flood and probably missing the timing of the cold by bringing it on too fast. Euro is also looking interesting out in LR with the over all pattern...a big cold front sweeping across the country at 210. Maybe this is when we can finally cash in.

Watching the moisture crossing Ga/Fla one after the other, then wham an almost on V Day.  That's a nice, fun look.    As long as the cold isn't more than a state or so away, there's always the chance for another today, in a few days, or next week..  T

i know its the 300 hr, but havent the runs been pretty consistent on the GFS at least?  Trying to remember last night's runs...  Wish I could see the Euro past 240.  Does the GFS ever have something big from 300+ and then have it verify?  I'm new at this, so excuse the ignorance :)

i know its the 300 hr, but havent the runs been pretty consistent on the GFS at least?  Trying to remember last night's runs...  Wish I could see the Euro past 240.  Does the GFS ever have something big from 300+ and then have it verify?  I'm new at this, so excuse the ignorance :)

The GFS has shown the same LP track (~200 miles) for the last eight runs or so.

Hey Wilkes........how bout we go with....... I probably have underwear older than you and I am well aware of what is needed to produce widespread winter weather. Give me the maps verbatim to where the GFS ensembles are going and there will be something for many to follow. haha.

lol good one.

I agree its a sweet setup. Now lets all hope the gfs and ggem are right.

It would be nice if the GFS and GGEM are leading the way, but I admit, even though I have been bullish on winter weather from the 10th forward........it concerns me not seeing the Euro on board. I have been leaning heavily on the MJO. Hoping to see the fruits of phases 2-3.

It would be nice if the GFS and GGEM are leading the way, but I admit, even though I have been bullish on winter weather from the 10th forward........it concerns me not seeing the Euro on board. I have been leaning heavily on the MJO. Hoping to see the fruits of phases 2-3.

Well if it helps the OP Euro wasn't exactly stellar for getting on board with the last big cold front. It's probably done better with the ENS on the overall pattern though. I say we wait until the end of this upcoming week. If the ENS is still saying no then we might have to get worried. By the way for NC at least hr. 348 is what would be a dream setup. Heck ETN would probably get in the game as well if that were to happen.

Wow, after the thumping at hr 348, we have yet another threat coming into focus at hr 384.  Yes, I know, it's la-la land, but the pattern looks RIPE.  That's three potential events in a week.  Surely, we can strike gold on at least one (if the GFS' idea actually continues to show up in future runs)?

The GFS has been fairly consistent.  Maybe it's consistently wrong, but the Euro has been flip flopping around in the LR a lot.

Well if it helps the OP Euro wasn't exactly stellar for getting on board with the last big cold front. It's probably done better with the ENS on the overall pattern though. I say we wait until the end of this upcoming week. If the ENS is still saying no then we might have to get worried. By the way for NC at least hr. 348 is what would be a dream setup. Heck ETN would probably get in the game as well if that were to happen.

The euro has moved toward the GFS and is back to showing a negative NAO (of sorts) later in the period. I think we have fun and games coming pretty soon.

It has been one hell of a winter. I have had over 70" of 300+ hour snowfall.

Yeah, but it's wall to wall cold out in loonyland, and you haven't seen that on the GFS in years, lol.  I'm a changed man.  Now I just want bug gigging cold, and I'll take my chance some sleet will happen along the way.  I'm importing some glacier moles to bring down the arctic :) 

Now, I'm  a cold and dry kind of guy first, then a bring in the lows guy second, lol.  It's time the deep south found winter after 3 dang years. 0 degrees for everyone!!!  T  

Gosh, wonder why no mets are posting in here lately. Maybe it's because the Euro 8-10 day maps look awful and the LR GFS shows a bunch of rain storms in its almost-always-cold-biased long range.

Day 10 Euro from last night is flat out awful. +NAO, neutral at best PNA, AO looks terrible.

Southern stream is getting active -- I would expect a VERY rainy second half of the month.

6z GFS? Warm next weekend, the rainy.

There is a fine line between optimism and delusion.

Gosh, wonder why no mets are posting in here lately. Maybe it's because the Euro 8-10 day maps look awful and the LR GFS shows a bunch of rain storms in its almost-always-cold-biased long range.

Day 10 Euro from last night is flat out awful. +NAO, neutral at best PNA, AO looks terrible.

Southern stream is getting active -- I would expect a VERY rainy second half of the month.

I thought the models were showing a snowstorm on or around the 14th.  is it already gone?   very frustrating.  just kinda wears on you when there is always a let down.  hate to admit it but I'm about ready for spring.  we'll try again next year.

aslo a fine line between freaking out and taking a pill. the op euro has had the same look for the past two days now. ever thought about looking at its ensembles? fwiw the ensemble mean on the euro has the vday storm, just like the op though on the op its suppressed. the euro mean is very cold in the lr

06z gfs warm? your funny. last week it was showing warm in the lr and and now its done a 180 from that and still has the vday storm which is also suppresse.... whats the point in saying the op euro was bad last night? its been bad many runs before that

Talking about a storm 11 days out is nothing more than a long shot prayer. Beanskip hit the nail on the head in his post. The odds of any model verifying any thing close to what it show 11 or more days out is probably in the 2% range.

This forum has devolved into a weenie refuge.

what the point in even having a forum them? if people cant talk about lr weather or patterns or anything hell shut the board down then. I wonder why people even bother reading weather boards if they always comment on others opinions and tell them they are wrong.....

does anyone really believe a storm 11 days out will verify??? I know I dont. but whats a weather board if you cant talk about it?

what the point in even having a forum them? if people cant talk about lr weather or patterns or anything hell shut the board down then. I wonder why people even bother reading weather boards if they always comment on others opinions and tell them they are wrong.....

does anyone really believe a storm 11 days out will verify??? I know I dont. but whats a weather board if you cant talk about it?

you are correct in both of your posts. Its about the overall pattern and using the ensembles.

Talking about a storm 11 days out is nothing more than a long shot prayer. Beanskip hit the nail on the head in his post. The odds of any model verifying any thing close to what it show 11 or more days out is probably in the 2% range.

This forum has devolved into a weenie refuge.

This post isn't directed at Marietta, but since you raised it, I'll reply to it.

I'll pose this question again to anyone who wants to take it: What would you like to discuss? The clouds and 5 mph wind?

So far as I can tell, nobody is predicting a snowstorm on Valentine's Day and saying it's absolutely going to be cold and snowy in the LR.

We have one group of people who wants to talk about potential, which there is, and one group who wants to shoot that down and talk about how foolish that is and how it's just as likely to not be cold and snowy. Group B calls Group A weenies and wishcasters and Group A calls Group B bittercasters. Neither is right in saying that because nobody is doing either.... Discussing possibilities on a weather forum is appropriate, from either angle.

So again, what would you like to discuss? The current conditions? Because that's the only thing that we are likely to know with any certainty.

If it offends you to hear about the possibility of cold or of warm, then go do something else and spare us all of your whining.

Archived