joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow threats for the mountains.

Met1985

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ended up with a little over 0.5". Windy & a cold 21.0°......where did Spring go?

Ya Don crazy. We ended up with 4.25 inches of snow which brings our total this year to 35.75 inches. Still snowing a little but just the smallest of flakes. We may have set a record low this morning with a low of 12 degrees. Just wow and it's spring?

Wow that's impressive totals Met, only around an inch here in Boone.

Ya not sure if we had more lift over the mountains or what but as you can tell i used my flash last night to catch just how hard it was snowing. I mean driving home you could not see 15 feet in front of you because the snow was blinding. When I got home there was about an inch and a half and the family said it had only been snowing for 30 minutes. Crazy rates.

Did you see anthing at all when you were up last week?

Nada.  Not a flake.  It was nice and chilly on Friday morning at the Waynesville Golf Resort and Spa, and my car was frosted over, but there were totally clear skies.  Some of the surrounding peaks either had rime ice or a light dusting on them, but nothing down in the valley.

It was still a great trip anyway.  The Haywood Community College campus has a pretty nice disc golf course on site, so I hung around with a buddy after the conference I attended and we played a round.  It's gorgeous up there!

Nada.  Not a flake.  It was nice and chilly on Friday morning at the Waynesville Golf Resort and Spa, and my car was frosted over, but there were totally clear skies.  Some of the surrounding peaks either had rime ice or a light dusting on them, but nothing down in the valley.

It was still a great trip anyway.  The Haywood Community College campus has a pretty nice disc golf course on site, so I hung around with a buddy after the conference I attended and we played a round.  It's gorgeous up there!

Nice! Ya HCC is a beautiful campus. Hey we had snow that night at the hospital but nothing laid. Wayensville sits in a valley so they don't see much win it comes from the NW. Looks like we will have several more opportunities up here to see some more snow in the mountains this next week.

From GSP's morning disco, this sounds interesting for the mtn peeps next week:

Long term /Sunday through Wednesday/... as of 345 am Thursday...with still some uncertainty on exact timing of the passage of an occluded front on Sunday...and the impacts on pops/temps. I opted to leave the extended alone this morning. Still expecting drying from west to east during the day...with northwest flow shower activity lingering along the Tennessee line for several forecast periods

Nice! Ya HCC is a beautiful campus. Hey we had snow that night at the hospital but nothing laid. Wayensville sits in a valley so they don't see much win it comes from the NW. Looks like we will have several more opportunities up here to see some more snow in the mountains this next week.

I work at HCC and love it. Yest i spent about an hour walking around taking pics, most with the Mill Pond in them. Got 1.75" at work when i arrived at 8am. Playing on that course is a nightmare, its gorgeous dont get me wrong but man playing in an actual arboretum makes this course one of the toughest around.

I work at HCC and love it. Yest i spent about an hour walking around taking pics, most with the Mill Pond in them. Got 1.75" at work when i arrived at 8am. Playing on that course is a nightmare, its gorgeous dont get me wrong but man playing in an actual arboretum makes this course one of the toughest around.

Guess NCMATYC picked the wrong weekend to have their conference.  ~2 inches would be great to see!

I did think many of the "fairways" were a little unfair.  I think hole 4 had a 6-foot wide fairway.  That's a little insane.  Playing every hole as a par 3, I finished at +2 for the round.  I was pretty satisfied with the score, for my first time playing the course.  Even though the course was very wooded, the holes are generally short, so I did okay.

PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE FROM RAIN TO SNOW ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS
SUNDAY NIGHT...POSSIBLY MIXED WITH FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET AS IT
TRANSITIONS TO SNOW. SNOW SHOWERS WILL THEN CONTINUE FROM MONDAY
THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT...POSSIBLY MIXING WITH RAIN IN THE VALLEYS
DURING THE DAY TUESDAY. SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW ARE POSSIBLE BY THE
TIME THE SNOW ENDS TUESDAY NIGHT.

Sounds like the upslope regions are going to be rocking!!!

PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE FROM RAIN TO SNOW ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS

SUNDAY NIGHT...POSSIBLY MIXED WITH FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET AS IT

TRANSITIONS TO SNOW. SNOW SHOWERS WILL THEN CONTINUE FROM MONDAY

THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT...POSSIBLY MIXING WITH RAIN IN THE VALLEYS

DURING THE DAY TUESDAY. SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW ARE POSSIBLE BY THE

TIME THE SNOW ENDS TUESDAY NIGHT.

Sounds like the upslope regions are going to be rocking!!!

Looks like the mtns are going to cash in with this one.

The models looked prime to give us some great upslope snows here at the end of March. But looking a little down the road I would not be that surprised at all to see us have a decent snow within the first couple weeks of April. The AO and the NAO look to stay negative for the next two weeks and the PNA looks to stay right around neutral which will not really matter at this point of the season. It looks like we could see several little bits of energy diving down from the NW which could bring our best snows for all of winter coming into late March. Anyway you looks at it this is exciting times for the mountains coming up.

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

408 PM EDT SAT MAR 23 2013

...SIGNIFICANT SPRING SNOW EVENT EXPECTED ACROSS THE TENNESSEE

BORDER COUNTIES OF NORTH CAROLINA...

.A COMPLEX LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL TRACK NORTH OF THE SOUTHERN

APPALACHIAN AREA SUNDAY NIGHT. AS THE LOW DEPARTS...A STRONG COLD

FRONT WILL PUSH EAST ACROSS THE WESTERN CAROLINAS. COLD AND MOIST

WINDS ARE FORECAST TO INCREASE IN THE WAKE OF COLD FRONT. A MID

LEVEL LOW WILL APPROACH THE NORTH CAROLINA MOUNTAINS MONDAY

NIGHT...MOVING EAST OF THE MOUNTAINS TUESDAY MORNING. THE

COMBINATION OF DEEP MOISTURE...UPSLOPE WINDS...AND LARGE SCALE

FORCING WILL RESULT IN THE GREATEST SNOWFALL RATES MONDAY NIGHT

AND TUESDAY MORNING.

NCZ033-048>052-058-059-240630-

/O.NEW.KGSP.WS.A.0005.130325T0600Z-130326T2200Z/

AVERY-MADISON-YANCEY-MITCHELL-SWAIN-HAYWOOD-GRAHAM-

NORTHERN JACKSON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWLAND...SPRUCE PINE...BRYSON CITY...

WAYNESVILLE...SYLVA

408 PM EDT SAT MAR 23 2013

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH

TUESDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED

A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT

THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

* LOCATIONS...THE TENNESSEE BORDER COUNTIES OF NORTH CAROLINA FROM

AVERY SOUTHWEST TO GRAHAM...INCLUDING NORTHERN JACKSON COUNTY.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS. WINDY CONDITIONS WILL

PRODUCE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WITH REDUCED VISIBILITIES.

* TIMING...SNOW SHOWERS...POSSIBLY MIXED WITH FREEZING RAIN...WILL

DEVELOP SUNDAY NIGHT. WIDESPREAD MODERATE SNOW SHOWERS ARE

EXPECTED TO DEVELOP LATE MONDAY INTO TUESDAY MORNING. SNOWFALL

RATES SHOULD BEGIN TO DECREASE MID DAY TUESDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 5 TO 7 INCHES...HIGHER

AMOUNTS POSSIBLE ACROSS THE RIDGES.

* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOWFALL WILL RESULT IN SNOW COVERED

ROADS...BRIDGES...AND OVERPASSES. NORTHWEST WINDS WILL DEVELOP

MONDAY NIGHT...RESULTING IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. HIGH

ELEVATIONS ALONG THE TENNESSEE LINE MAY SEE DEEP SNOW DRIFTS

ACROSS ROADS. VISIBILITIES MAY BE REDUCED TO BETWEEN ONE QUARTER

AND ONE HALF MILE IN SNOW SHOWERS AT TIMES.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID TO UPPER 20S. HIGH ELEVATIONS MAY

REMAIN IN THE LOW 20S.

* WINDS...WEST NORTHWEST WINDS AT 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40

MPH.

Ya Joe this looks like the real deal. Maybe our best chance to see some significant accumulations this whole winter. With the way the trends are going which is in our favor; I would not be surprised to see a foot plus in the higher elevations along the boarder counties.

From Morristown...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN342 PM EDT SAT MAR 23 2013Winter Storm WatchA MODERATE TO LOCALLY HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE FROM LATESUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNSET TUESDAY...MAINLY ACROSS THE HIGHERTERRAIN OF SOUTHWESTERN VIRGINIA...AS WELL AS THE SMOKY ANDNORTHERN MOUNTAINS OF EAST TENNESSEE.* EVENT...SNOW SHOWERS DEVELOPING BY SUNDAY NIGHT BEHIND PASSAGE OF  A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM AND ASSOCIATED COLD FRONT. SNOWFALL  AMOUNTS COULD TOTAL 4 TO 8 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS  OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ABOVE 3500 FEET BY LATE TUESDAY.

Archived