joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow threats for the mountains.

Met1985

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GSPs earlier update was still confident this morning, but they may pull back this afternoon...

"Aforementioned impulse crosses the mountains overnight. Model soundings show a low level moist layer arriving tonight. Precipitation is mainly expected in the NC mountains bordering Tennessee in upslope flow...but the strength of the upper system may allow precipitation to spread into the foothills...and perhaps into the SC Piedmont under the track of the upper system. The top of the moist layer will initially be cold enough at its top to support ice nucleation and snow near the Tennessee border. Warm advection aloft and a lowering of the top of the moist layer will end ice nucleation overnight...and by Friday morning the top of the moist layer will be above freezing. This will support a rapid transition from snow to freezing rain in the NC mountains bordering Tennessee. Areas between the Tennessee border region and the NC foothills and Georgia and SC mountains may see precipitation start as rain or snow... depending on the timing of warming aloft...then will see all rain or freezing rain...depending on surface temperatures and how early the rain ends"

Well we got a whole bunch of nothing last night!.....I am ready for some warmer temp. Bring on Spring.

Lol Don that was pretty pathetic. Oh well onto the next system which looks to be coming in here around the 20th. Right now looks like we could have a little upslope event. Nothing great but flakes flying in the air will be nice. After that around the 23rd things look real interesting with the AO just dropping out the bottom. I really have never seen anything like it if this comes to fruition.

Lol Don that was pretty pathetic. Oh well onto the next system which looks to be coming in here around the 20th. Right now looks like we could have a little upslope event. Nothing great but flakes flying in the air will be nice. After that around the 23rd things look real interesting with the AO just dropping out the bottom. I really have never seen anything like it if this comes to fruition.

No,no,no,no!!! I am going to go out of my skull if we get our biggest storm in 2 yrs while I am at the beach for spring break. It needs to be warm so I can fish & not freak out about what is happening at home. I am kidding of course.......I think :yikes:

No,no,no,no!!! I am going to go out of my skull if we get our biggest storm in 2 yrs while I am at the beach for spring break. It needs to be warm so I can fish & not freak out about what is happening at home. I am kidding of course.......I think :yikes:

lol... Don, you need to plan these trips after March.

6Z GFS showing a wintry mix for the mtns Wed. night?

Looks like it. Maybe soem snow coming in Wed night. Whats the old saying if you hear thunder in the winter there will be snow on the ground within a week. Well looks like we will be seeing several chances for snow over the course of a week or two and maybe some decent upslope events at that. Pretty neat to see how low our averages will be from now until the end of the month. Maybe 20 to 30 degrees below average.

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

837 PM EDT WED MAR 20 2013

NCZ033-048>053-058-059-062-210915-

AVERY-MADISON-YANCEY-MITCHELL-SWAIN-HAYWOOD-BUNCOMBE-GRAHAM-

NORTHERN JACKSON-MACON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWLAND...SPRUCE PINE...CHEROKEE...

BRYSON CITY...WAYNESVILLE...ASHEVILLE...SYLVA...FRANKLIN

837 PM EDT WED MAR 20 2013

...WINTER WEATHER EXPECTED THROUGH EARLY THURSDAY MORNING ACROSS

THE NORTH CAROLINA MOUNTAINS NEAR THE TENNESSEE BORDER...

TEMPERATURES WILL DROP THIS EVENING ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS BEHIND A

COLD FRONT...AND WILL FALL BELOW FREEZING EVERYWHERE BY THE EARLY

MORNING HOURS. MEANWHILE...SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS SHOWERS WILL MOVE

ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS AS AN UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE PASSES. THE

SHOWERS WILL FALL AS SNOW ALONG RIDGETOPS AND MOUNTAIN PASSES...

AND WILL EVEN CHANGE FROM RAIN TO SNOW IN VALLEY LOCATIONS BEFORE

TAPERING OFF EARLY THURSDAY MORNING. AN ACCUMULATION OF AN INCH OR

TWO IS POSSIBLE...MAINLY AT THE HIGH ELEVATIONS NEAR THE TENNESSEE

BORDER. THIS COULD LEAD TO POOR DRIVING CONDITIONS...WHICH MIGHT

CATCH SOME PEOPLE OFF GUARD GIVEN THE RECENT WARM WEATHER. SOME

PATCHES OF BLACK ICE ARE ALSO POSSIBLE TOWARD DAYBREAK ON

THURSDAY.

CONDITIONS ARE BEING MONITORED FOR A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY.

Archived