joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow threats for the mountains.

Met1985

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another big part of the storm will be the strong northwest flow snow event (NWFS) in the Southern Appalachians. Eastern TN and western NC mountains will get slammed with the best setup for upslope snows this Winter, strong winds, plenty of moisture at the 850 level and very cold (-10 !) coming in Wednesday, so look for strong instability, steep lapse rates and vicious snow squalls if you're travelling I-81, I-26, I-40 through the southern Apps tomorrow. The snow will continue until Thursday morning. Snow showers easily making it down into the northern GA counties of Fannin, Union, Towns, Rabun. Some mountain peaks will get over a Foot of snow in TN, NC. Asheville NC has the best shot at finally seeing some flakes this Winter--now that it is March.

Thanks for this post Don. It is going to be insane up here!

Looks like GSP has upped our snow totals.

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST
THURSDAY...

* LOCATIONS...THE TENNESSEE BORDER COUNTIES OF NORTH CAROLINA...
  FROM AVERY COUNTY SOUTH TO GRAHAM COUNTY...INCLUDING NORTHERN
  JACKSON COUNTY.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS. VERY WINDY CONDITIONS WILL
  PRODUCE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WITH REDUCED VISIBILITIES.
  NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL BE POSSIBLE AT TIMES.

* TIMING...HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE MORNING
  HOURS. THE SNOWFALL RATES MAY DECREASE SLIGHTLY THIS
  AFTERNOON...BUT WITH STEADY SNOW SHOWERS CONTINUING. THE
  SNOWFALL RATES AND THE WIND SPEEDS WILL GRADUALLY ABATE THIS
  EVENING THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT HOURS.

* ACCUMULATIONS...WIDESPREAD SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 8
  INCHES...WITH 8 TO 10 INCHES LIKELY ALONG THE HIGHER
  RIDGES...AND A FEW PEAKS APPROACHING 12 INCHES.

* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOWFALL WILL RESULT IN IMPASSABLE SNOW COVERED
  ROADWAYS AND BRIDGES. STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS WILL GENERATE
  BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...WITH VISIBILITY REDUCED TO BETWEEN
  ONE QUARTER AND ONE HALF MILE IN SNOW SHOWERS AT TIMES.
  SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES WILL LIKELY RESULT.

* TEMPERATURES...MAINLY IN THE UPPER 20S...WITH LOWER 30S TO MID
  30S IN A FEW LOCATIONS LATER THIS AFTERNOON.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 55 MPH AT TIMES.

* VISIBILITY...DOWN TO ONE QUARTER MILE AT TIMES IN HEAVY SNOW
  SHOWERS.

It may have taken to March.....but it finally looks like we may break the 3" barrier for the first time since Jan 2011.

• Snow showers. Low around 28. Blustery, with a northwest wind around 22 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
  • Wednesday Snow showers. High near 36. Windy, with a northwest wind 24 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

It may have taken to March.....but it finally looks like we may break the 3" barrier for the first time since Jan 2011.

• Snow showers. Low around 28. Blustery, with a northwest wind around 22 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
  • Wednesday Snow showers. High near 36. Windy, with a northwest wind 24 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Ya Don maybe. Looks like things are really trending in our way.

I'm not sure where I will end up, but I should surely break an inch. I had 30 minutes of heavy wind blown snow. Everything... roads.. sidewalks all white. Probably a good 1/2 inch already. Hopefully, much more to go.

I now Don. Cannot wait to get home. Looks like we are getting lit up. Glad you are getting in on the action brother.

Thanks 85!

Light snow and howling winds here in Boone, side roads are mostly covered and main roads just partially covered.

Don, glad to see you're getting in on the good stuff!

AN, you guys are so golden....wouldn't surprise me to see Boone in double digits.

I'm not sure where I will end up, but I should surely break an inch. I had 30 minutes of heavy wind blown snow. Everything... roads.. sidewalks all white. Probably a good 1/2 inch already. Hopefully, much more to go.

Jason, In a lull like you but still snowing. That was a intense squall for sure. Upstream radar is looking good!

Thanks 85!

AN, you guys are so golden....wouldn't surprise me to see Boone in double digits.

Jason, In a lull like you but still snowing. That was a intense squall for sure. Upstream radar is looking good!

Of course, WLOS has no idea that, in the own town that they cover, that roads and ground are white. It took me 2 minutes to find the AB Tech web cam and see the white ground.

Of course, WLOS has no idea that, in the own town that they cover, that roads and ground are white. It took me 2 minutes to find the AB Tech web cam and see the white ground.

Can't stomach watching them. They are awful & worse on weather. No detail at all on anything in that regard. I wonder if Sinclair or the stations GM restricts some of them. The others just seem like they want to get home!

Archived