joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Cloudy skies/virga/flurries/lgt snow obs 1/25

tombo82685

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I can, these look like a decent dendrites. I guess the low-mid level jets being further south are not creating too much wind issues with dendrites?

A Caribou snow tool we loaded in the other night gave us about 20:1 ratios with this. Not sure if that takes into consideration wind but it does take into consideration temperatures and omega wi snow growth areas. We were wondering how this would come to fruition last night. I'm interested in seeing the CoCoRahs reports tomorrow on this. (Sorry Ray) Even with the new heated tipping buckets, I think CCH are more representative of ratios than airport ASOS(s). 

(Sorry Ray) Even with the new heated tipping buckets, I think CCH are more representative of ratios than airport ASOS(s). 

:lol: They're weighing gauges at ABE, PNE, PHL, ILG, ACY and 12N ;) 

But yes I'll be interested to see what melts out from manual gauges too. 

Our snow observers report 6-hour precip along with 6-hour snowfall for our airport LCD's.  Sometimes the weighing gauges work OK, sometimes not.

:lol: They're weighing gauges at ABE, PNE, PHL, ILG, ACY and 12N ;)

But yes I'll be interested to see what melts out from manual gauges too. 

Our snow observers report 6-hour precip along with 6-hour snowfall for our airport LCD's.  Sometimes the weighing gauges work OK, sometimes not.

Whoops.  For some reason ABE seems to work the best (maybe less wind?), the others not so much.

A Caribou snow tool we loaded in the other night gave us about 20:1 ratios with this. Not sure if that takes into consideration wind but it does take into consideration temperatures and omega wi snow growth areas. We were wondering how this would come to fruition last night. I'm interested in seeing the CoCoRahs reports tomorrow on this. (Sorry Ray) Even with the new heated tipping buckets, I think CCH are more representative of ratios than airport ASOS(s). 

From what I am seeing, I would say the ratios are closer to 20:1 than 10:1 but I couldn't possibly guess. We are legit mod snow here. How much snow do you think we have out there? Looks like 1/2" or so.

I am in that decent Philly snow zone in South Philly, where, incredulously, there is over an inch on every surface. True to form for the sub-freezing temps of a couple days, everything falling is accumulating. I got home just as the first flakes fell at exactly 3 PM.

Last radar I checked was impressive for moderate snow directly over my back yard, as this storm is certainly a mesoscale event. For some reason, there seems to be some better forcing in this area, and the snow ratios are wringing every bit of fluff powder you can get at 15-1 ratios at least.

It reminds me of the snow you get on any day in Killington, where the upslope and elevation, wring out daily snow showers. But, it is serene and beautiful, and time for that cognac.

Archived