joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter is Over

Ji

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on this train now...if the clipper Monday and the storm Friday are primarily rain then I just can't see having much hope. Of course if we do get snow at some point this winter I will be my normal obs post whore

i'm siding with the gambler's fallacy on this one and saying that we're due.

These air masses aren't even that cold. It is pretty lame. OMG, 25 degrees at night!! And only 45 tomorrow!!! COLD.

The air mass this week is very cold.  Highs in the 20s Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday.  Low of 11 degrees, high of 21 degrees on Wednesday - that's very cold in my book.  Of course, it will be dry, so no love this week for those of us that want snow.

The air mass this week is very cold.  Highs in the 20s Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday.  Low of 11 degrees, high of 21 degrees on Wednesday - that's very cold in my book.  Of course, it will be dry, so no love this week for those of us that want snow.

Phin doesn't know what he's talking about. Highs in the lower 20s are cold by any year's standard

Wind chills of -42 degrees... no thanks.

i was on a school ski trip in vermont in the early 90's during a cold snap and remember on top of killington there was like a -40 wind chill.  it was awful...and unhealthy...like almost getting frostbite unhealthy...i think we skied like 3 runs.  the next day it snowed with temps in the teens/20's and felt like spring.  so yea, no thanks to -42 wind chill.  i will take my highs in the 20s.

The cold shots we have seen so far this winter have been laughable at best.  Even in the country last night under very clear skies the temp struggled to get down to 25 (of course winds started turning SW which elevated them somewhat).  On the coldest days this winter I have been known to debate whether or not to wear short or long sleeves.  Usually if we are in the mid 30s or better by 9am I go short.  BTW, we are at the lowest daily averages now for the entire winter.  I should be closer to 20/21 at night just to be normal.

It will moderate as we get closer

What's up with all your posts today? It may moderate some, sure, but it's still going to be a well-below average week temperature-wise. Models did moderate next week a couple of days ago but have brought the cold back stronger in the runs lately.

Nothing historic or even noteworthy, but we're talking about the first actually cold week so far this winter.

What's up with all your posts today? It may moderate some, sure, but it's still going to be a well-below average week temperature-wise. Models did moderate next week a couple of days ago but have brought the cold back stronger in the runs lately.Nothing historic or even noteworthy, but we're talking about the first actually cold week so far this winter.

Just frustrated....I will tone down a bit...12z gfs is classic pain cold/dry warm/wet

LWX gives me a high of 23 this Wednesday........not sure it will verify but in any case it's very impressive for where we live. Single digit lows would be nice too.

I'm feeling good about this pattern, even if this Friday storm doesn't really give us what we want.

LWX gives me a high of 23 this Wednesday........not sure it will verify but in any case it's very impressive for where we live. Single digit lows would be nice too.

I'm feeling good about this pattern, even if this Friday storm doesn't really give us what we want.

Would think at least one day is about there for a high. DC forecast is for 20s Tue/Wed which would be first time since Jan 29-30 2010.

Wednesday will be my best shot at a sub 20 high since quite a while.  I would have to look at my records to see when the last one was.  LWX has me down for 21.

Wednesday will be my best shot at a sub 20 high since quite a while.  I would have to look at my records to see when the last one was.  LWX has me down for 21.

Most recent one is I believe Jan 30, 2010 with high 18 low 13.  The reason I say I believe is because of a computer messup I lost most of my data for 2011, and 2012.  Probably didn't happen in eithe Jan/Feb 2011, and as for 2012 that would be completely laughable....I also received 6.3 inches of snow that day the surprise north trend storm.

We still have February and we have never had back to back snowless winters in NOVA/DC. We have had back to back well below average snow totals. So what I am saying something will pop eventually!!! 1972-1973= 0.1"/ 1973-1974=16.7"

1997-1998=0.1"/ 1998-1999=11.6"

72-73 & 97-98 were strong El Nino's and last year was a La Nina, I am trying to stay positive after last years bust.

We still have February and we have never had back to back snowless winters in NOVA/DC. We have had back to back well below average snow totals. So what I am saying something will pop eventually!!! 1972-1973= 0.1"/ 1973-1974=16.7"

1997-1998=0.1"/ 1998-1999=11.6"

72-73 & 97-98 were strong El Nino's and last year was a La Nina, I am trying to stay positive after last years bust.

I wonder how many winters where we get little or no snow in December/January, that we actually end up with some good snow storms in February?  Anything is possible, and I would have to think we would see something good in February, but it's probably just as likely that we have another month of well-below normal snowfall as well.  I guess we'll know the answer to that in a few weeks.

there is virtually little chance of seeing a snowstorm this winter. The pattern says supressed...or too far north...or cold and dry followed by warm and wet. I dont see anything changing. We are in a deep slump and its hard to get out of slumps.

I doubt DCA sees an inch of snow this winter.

HM storm my ass

As I said ...Hm storm my ass:)

Archived