Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

IWXwx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recent signs looks like a much more active weather pattern may be in store for late jan and feb. Trumps bitter cold for sure. I think below normal temps will be the rule through feb, but not without some mild days. Perhaps we can do a repeat of the late december period and lay down several weeks of snowpack.

Not trying to **** all over your optimism, but 2 weeks ago mid-January looked like it'd be rocking with lots of storms traversing through the OV.

I think that setup could be favorable for ice, looking at the surface charts with the high in Quebec. It isn't snow but I think there would be a wintry flavor to that system.

I agree. Verbatim it's not a disaster.but still....looking at that downstream confluence at 168 you'd never think 24 hours later a sfc low would be over GRB.

I agree. Verbatim it's not a disaster.but still....looking at that downstream confluence at 168 you'd never think 24 hours later a sfc low would be over GRB.

Euro is having a hard time figuring out which stream that will be dominant with that system, at first it looked like the Southern stream at 168 then it jumped to the Northern stream at 192. It probably isn't worth the keystrokes to get cute with the details at this junction anyways.

Not trying to **** all over your optimism, but 2 weeks ago mid-January looked like it'd be rocking with lots of storms traversing through the OV.

Other factors like the LRC lend credence to an active period as well (what with the Twin Cities storm in early-mid December, which could correlate to one of these, then the big storm a week and a half later in Wisconsin/Iowa).  I didn't expect early/mid January to be very active when I was looking ahead in late December, but I was expecting things to pick up the last week or so of January, which looks like it may come to fruition.

Other factors like the LRC lend credence to an active period as well (what with the Twin Cities storm in early-mid December, which could correlate to one of these, then the big storm a week and a half later in Wisconsin/Iowa).  I didn't expect early/mid January to be very active when I was looking ahead in late December, but I was expecting things to pick up the last week or so of January, which looks like it may come to fruition.

MJO has recently been in phase 6 & 7, which typically correlates to wetter wx for the OV and Lakes. That's why when the GFS was showing run total QPF of like 3" for me two weeks ago, I didn't think it was too outlandish.  

Do you guys take the LRC very seriously?  I have my doubts about it.  I guess I havent paid much attention to it though so I can't be real certain on that.

Do you guys take the LRC very seriously?  I have my doubts about it.  I guess I havent paid much attention to it though so I can't be real certain on that.

Not entirely, but it does seem to make sense when you think that the major winter storms around this region in past years have occurred at 40-50 day intervals, usually one in early to mid December then another one around early February.  Also, the major storms this fall and winter have frequently occurred at the suggested 50-52 day interval for the cycle, so the general pattern at times gives the theory some credence.

? I do not remember any runs showing a rockin time of snow. As far as I can remember everything was about the eventual arctic intrusion and hopes that it wouldnt be dry.

? I do not remember any runs showing a rockin time of snow. As far as I can remember everything was about the eventual arctic intrusion and hopes that it wouldnt be dry.

There was optimism for a couple of systems (perhaps decent cutters) affecting the region mid-month, and it quickly turned to crap/quick arctic shot with little to no snowcover that we're on the verge of.  I wasn't very optimistic about that time period myself, but some were.

The storm which affected SNE yesterday and the storm affecting the southern Mid Atlantic today/tomorrow were modeled as OV/Apps runners 10 days ago.

Euro is having a hard time figuring out which stream that will be dominant with that system, at first it looked like the Southern stream at 168 then it jumped to the Northern stream at 192. It probably isn't worth the keystrokes to get cute with the details at this junction anyways.

It looks like a big storm for northern lower and the UP.  If it manages to wrap up like currently shown there might be some wrap-around lake enhanced snowfall on the back side.

It looks like a big storm for northern lower and the UP.  If it manages to wrap up like currently shown there might be some wrap-around lake enhanced snowfall on the back side.

Yup...the pattern this year refuses to allow cold air to be pulled further south into these Great Lakes storms. I actually am not sure we will get any significant snowstorms this winter.

Yup...the pattern this year refuses to allow cold air to be pulled further south into these Great Lakes storms. I actually am not sure we will get any significant snowstorms this winter.

Not impossible, but highly unlikely. See Dec 20th or Dec 26th, there already have been some significant snowstorms....and Im sure there will be many more in the next 3 months. Just hope all can get involved.

The end of the week is nowhere near set in stone by the way. The last several OP GFS runs and the 12z Euro would have a wintry to wet ending as flurries scenario, but the 00z euro, the 12z GEM, and the latest GFS ensemble mean are much colder.

Archived