• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/29 Winter Storm OBS/Disco Part II

earthlight

Ballsy move by Upton to drop the advisories for L.I. If the 6Z Nam comes close to verifying with It's 1"+ QPF for much of the Island then much of that falls as heavy rain. I just don't see that happening. I would think a heavy wet snow would be more likely. Nevertheless this will be an interesting day to nowcast as the event unfolds. I would think north of the L.I.E from Nassau County eastbound to about the William Floyd Pkwy see an appreciable snowfall with areas south of the L.I.E. waiting till after sunset to see accumulating snow. A fun day ahead

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice little high resolution - global model battle going down to the wire here.

06z RGEM came back west and wetter compared to the 00z run. Still warm along the coast but brings more QPF to NJ/etc which it had taken away at 00z. Still warm near the coast but much better for interests in NE NJ, SE NY, CT. The total snowfall (bottom graphic) is almost spot on to the NAM...just a little less near NYC.

PT_PN_015_0000.gif

SN_000-048_0000.gif

The only difference between the NAM and RGEM now is a sharp cutoff due to warm lower layers near NYC and Long Island with the NAM showing much more snow on Long Island. Comparing the two, there is strong agreement on a band of heavier snows from Northeast NJ into Connecticut and Southeast SNE.

RGEM: http://meteocentre.com/models/gemreg_amer_qc_06/accum/SN_000-048_0000.gif

NAM: http://meteocentre.com/models/nam_amer_qc_06/accum/SN_000-048_0000.gif

Nice little high resolution - global model battle going down to the wire here.

06z RGEM came back west and wetter compared to the 00z run. Still warm along the coast but brings more QPF to NJ/etc which it had taken away at 00z. Still warm near the coast but much better for interests in NE NJ, SE NY, CT. The total snowfall (bottom graphic) is almost spot on to the NAM...just a little less near NYC.

PT_PN_015_0000.gif

SN_000-048_0000.gif

Here was the 00z RGEM, for comparison. The 6z RGEM is significantly improved, even for coastal locations.

post-73-135677421236.jpg

A few of us talked about this earlier, but the NAM closes off the mid level centers two or three hours earlier than it was previously. The best lift shifts to the NW side of the surface low which is slightly more tucked in off the coast. As a result the CCB develops basically overhead and you can see it here with this banding signal over NE NJ and NYC.

http://www.meteo.psu...C4_6z/rad16.gif

It's honestly nice to see you guys east into the city with a shot at some weenie banding... We'll take our 3-5" of fresh powder and be quite happy out here in the great NW.

25 degrees

22 dewpoint

36 degrees Beer.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Just waking up and checking a few things via mobile and HRRR seems to be overdoing radar echoes and doesn't adequately show dry air nosing from E WV into NW VA and towards eastern PA.

Looks like the two areas of precip diverge and we rely heavily on the coastal low. HRRR does throw back good snowfall rates into NE NJ and CT though. Tight call for NYC and LI also with marginal temperatures.

I'm in northern queens talk about splitting the short hairs let me start pissing on sparkplugs again sometimes it works it prime up the snowthrower Lol .Last week it was snowing at the top of the whitestone bridge mixed at the bottom pretty cool of course i'm freaking out and everyone in the car wanted me committed see ya . Peace

Your mouth to g-ds ears this is a met's nightmare trust me bustorama in either direction .

Yeah, pretty much anywhere from 0 to 6 inches is legit right now for alot of areas. I would actually feel better now from say eastern NJ eastward. I just don't think inland areas are gonna do to well from the dying primary or the coastal.

Your mouth to g-ds ears this is a met's nightmare trust me bustorama in either direction .

When we get the heavier burst of snow later this afternoon, the storm is going to be progressive

enough that just as we start to accumulate the storm will wind down early this evening. After

the Island mixes with rain we need the 500 mb center to close off like Christmas 2002 to do

more than a few slushy inches. This storm won't close off until it reaches the Canadian Maritimes.

It'll be fine once the coastal gets going but I would not feel too good right now north and west of a line from say Princeton-Morristown-Danbury and I might even be too far west with that.

I hear you. The only hope I think is our elevation and some lift... Odd that HPC has our neck of the woods with a 40% chance of 4+...

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/day1_psnow_gt_04.gif

Yeah, pretty much anywhere from 0 to 6 inches is legit right now for alot of areas. I would actually feel better now from say eastern NJ eastward. I just don't think inland areas are gonna do to well from the dying primary or the coastal.

...love the persistence SG..I'm hanging my hat on your discussions/reasoning..

currently 29*,mostly cloudy..here on the east end..

looks right..feels right..smells right..hoping your right !

Guest Patrick

this.

Can't wait to see the freakout when there's a bit of shadowing between the initial lift over PA/NY and the coastal...should make it look like a nice screw zone setting up over NYC and I'm sure it will take less than 30 minutes for Noreaster27 and others to come in screaming about a bust. Save this post for tomorrow morning around 9am. You can see it here on the NAM

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/ETAFLOAT_6z/f12.gif

The HRRR model is pretty accurate when it comes to radar representation under 10 hours. It has trended like the 6z NAM during its 10z run, I'm rooting it on here just NE of Philly, this would be a great trend. It says the radar gap completely fills by 9-11am, then really starts to crank as the ULL catches up. Just to add to it I compared the 01z HRRR's 9hr radar forecast to the 10z HRRR initialization radar composite and it made a very accurate prediction..Shows the gap clearly... At least something to root for.

Here is how it showed the current radar (pretty accurate)

post-8091-0-05462400-1356785855_thumb.pn

then it fills in and starts cranking...

post-8091-0-77360300-1356785799_thumb.pn

Archived