joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm obs snow/ice/rain/wind 12/26/12

Allsnow

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't really care much either way, but I just find it a little strange. I'd say they report about half the time while other second order sites like HPN and Caldwell almost never report at all. Why would they be so inconsistent? You'd think anybody in that position would have the desire to have a nice consistent set of data for climatological reasons.

Like I said, they aren't an official climate site so there's no reason to have a "nice consistent sent of data for climatological reasons".

Like I said, they aren't an official climate site so there's no reason to have a "nice consistent sent of data for climatological reasons".

Fully understand that. Just trying to get an idea of why you'd get a top order snowfall report from a second order site like TEB in the first place. Usually ASOS snowfall reports are reserved for official climate sites.

Fully understand that. Just trying to get an idea of why you'd get a top order snowfall report from a second order site like TEB in the first place. Usually ASOS snowfall reports are reserved for official climate sites.

Someone on staff feels like it, probably. Simple as that.

Someone on staff feels like it, probably. Simple as that.

Haha. I gotcha. It's something I've wondered about for a while during the snowstorms that have come and gone over the years. Just puzzles me because any ASOS person I've come across on these forums is usually a stickler for reporting snowfalls...regardless of the status of the site in question.

Haha. I gotcha. It's something I've wondered about for a while during the snowstorms that have come and gone over the years. Just puzzles me because any ASOS person I've come across on these forums is usually a stickler for reporting snowfalls...regardless of the status of the site in question.

I think the thing to understand (and Ray can correct me if I'm wrong) is that there is no "ASOS person" at TEB....it's just a bunch of instruments. :nerdsmiley:

I think the thing to understand (and Ray can correct me if I'm wrong) is that there is no "ASOS person" at TEB....it's just a bunch of instruments.

Wasn't sure what else to call the person in question. lol. Who would it be? I wouldn't think it would be NWS or FAA observers like you see at the official climate sites. It's just when you see ASOS listed on the public info statement next to the report it implies that someone with a certain level of accreditation took the measurement. :nerdsmiley:

I think the thing to understand (and Ray can correct me if I'm wrong) is that there is no "ASOS person" at TEB....it's just a bunch of instruments. :nerdsmiley:

Actually TEB is staffed. Its Service Level B. Most ASOS sites in NJ are Service Level C (CDW, TTN, ACY) or Service Level D (FWN, 12N, SMQ, VAY, MIV). EWR is Service Level A.

http://apps.avmet.com/awad/SvcLvl.cfm

http://tabacofamily.com/jtabaco/ispwx/swo/appendix_d.htm

Guest Patrick

Agreed. ExceptFor The Spark Plug Thing. ;)

The euro spreads the wealth boys look at the morning runs at least the new england posters are paying attention i'd piss on a sparkplug for that .

Archived