Newest Member
    Toothache
December 28-30 Winter Weather Observations/Discussion

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet!! :thumbsup::D:snowing:

This is the kind of post that adds nothing and should be in the banter thread, if it is even worth posting at all.*** :devilsmiley:

*** Especially if you earlier deleted a guys mole picture in the other obs thread after dsaur brought the moles into the thread in the first place. :)

Down to 29.4° now in Weaverville. Wind is whipping & we are now getting a decent shot of snow. Flakes are dime to nickel size and the ground is turning white. I would be surprised if GSP doesn't at least issue a SWS for black ice tonight.

Down to 28.5° with a pretty brutal wind & snowing at a decent clip now. Should be a nice snow for 85 & GSP has obliged my wishes for Buncombe county!

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SUNDAY/...

AS OF 825 PM EST SATURDAY...SNOW IS FALLING ACROSS A GOOD BIT OF THE

NC MTNS AT THIS HOUR WITH LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF SOCIAL MEDIA

REPORTS COMING IN FROM THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. SO FAR THE AMOUNTS

SEEM FAIRLY LIGHT...THOUGH LOCATIONS ALONG THE TN LINE ARE PUSHING

AN INCH AND I/M SURE HIGHER TOTALS HAVE FALLEN IN THE MORE REMOTE

PARTS OF WESTERN MADISON...HAYWOOD AND SWAIN COUNTIES.

THE NASHVILLE SOUNDING WAS QUITE INTERESTING THIS EVENING. THE H8

TEMP WAS -10 DEG C WITH TEMPS FALLING TO AROUND -14 DEG C AT 775 MB

UNDER A LUDICROUSLY STRONG INVERSION. THE LAPSE RATES UP TO THIS

LEVEL WERE QUITE STEEP AND THE COLUMN WAS JUST ABOUT SATURATED WITH

RESPECT TO ICE. THAT/S AN IMPRESSIVE AIRMASS AND ONE THAT SHOULD BE

SUPPORTIVE OF VIGOROUS SNOW SHOWER ACTIVITY FOR ANOTHER 6 HOURS AT

LEAST. I/VE BUMPED SNOW TOTALS UP ALONG THE TN LINE AND WE ARE CLOSE

TO WINTER STORM CRITERIA AT SOME LOCATIONS ABOVE 3500 FEET. I STILL

DON/T THINK WE/LL REACH CRITERIA OVER A LARGE ENOUGH AREA TO VERIFY

A WARNING...BUT IT/S GOING TO BE A REAL MESS AT HIGHER ELEVATIONS

TONIGHT.

FINALLY...I WILL HOIST A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR BUNCOMBE

COUNTY. WHILE WE WON/T HIT AVERAGE ADVISORY CRITERIA ACROSS THE

COUNTY...TEMPS FALLING WELL BELOW FREEZING WILL CAUSE ICY CONDITIONS

TO DEVELOP ACROSS THE COUNTY. DRIVING CONDITIONS WILL BE QUITE

TREACHEROUS ON UNTREATED ROADS OVERNIGHT.

Don I can tell you in Haywood we are getting hammered. I am at work now but at the house we have 2 inches now and the roads are white with heavy snow here in Clyde and reports across the whole county of back roads and main roads being snow covered. Temp here in town is down to 26 degrees with heavy snowfall. If you do not have 4WD you do not need to be out in this. Roads are freezing up quicker than the plows can get to them. The driving conditions are deteriorating fast here in Haywood. Good luck up the Don and others.

Snow has steadily picked up here near gatlinburg in the past hour or so. About half an inch but has been snowing lightly all day. You can really see the impacts or the terrain in the radar, and I'm hopeful for a couple of inches accumulation. It'd be fun to be on leconte! Think I'll drive through the park tomorrow to see how they fared

I tried to go through the park today. No dice. HWY 441 was closed late Friday night and stayed closed today. I'll be surprised if it opens at all tomorrow. Judging by the amount of snow I drove through over the cumberland plateau tonight on my way to Nashville, there is still ample moisture to be squeezed out over those ridge tops. I'm sure several inches have fallen over 4500 ft by now.

unexpected treat on the way home from Beech Mountain yesterday. I guess the warm nose pushed down totals Fri night, but then I think the nwf flow made up for it. We decided not to stay a second night cause it was so windy. I see they got 4 or so and Sugar got 6. There was probably an inch or two when we left. But on the way home, we started seeing snow at Black Mountain, then between Asheville and Waynesville it got pretty dicey on 40. Everybody running 60 70 mph and the interstate started getting white. That dicey point when not enough snow to lock the hubs, but enough to make it iffy, and you weren't sure whether they had treated enough or not. Spent a good 2 to 3 hours driving in pretty good snow showers. Its that point where you are driving and you are realizing you are getting the max out of the storm and its always memorable. Good trip. Kudo's to those on the board who kept saying this was one to watch: airnelson, 1985, Moto, etc.

Archived