e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December 27/28 Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it goes to rain south of the pike...maybe even farther north than that the low is north central PA for god's sake.

wrong.

Site your llv temperature spread - I doubt this synopsis offered by this run supports plain rain at HFD - but that's my impression of this run, admittedly.

The NOGAPS and GEM Both show more classic coastal transfers, the GFS I think is clueless on the fact this won't remain solely a primary low

Agreed hugely here. I don't think a primary survives the topography of the Apps when it's also running a medium intensity deep layer head long into an established cold wall.

The NOGAPS and GEM Both show more classic coastal transfers, the GFS I think is clueless on the fact this won't remain solely a primary low

Yeah I'm leaning that way...I don't think its impossible to keep the primary so dominant up into the northenr Apps if the upper dynamics are strong enough. But we've seen a lot of primary lows get even up into NY state while ceding to a secondary sfc reflecion south of LI or SNE.

wrong.

Site your llv temperature spread - I doubt this synopsis offered by this run supports plain rain at HFD - but that's my impression of this run, admittedly.

I don't need to talk about low-level temperature spread. The synoptics of that run do not allow cold air to maintain near the surface south of the pike. If there is a real secondary that develops it change things, but that is not what that run showed.

looks like a lot of rain.

12.9" here with that storm. I'd take it in a heart beat.

We never went above freezing in that event...had 8.5" on the front end before icing. I wouldn't predict that much this time with the way guidance looks...but then again none of us predicted that back duuring that storm either.

A secondary like that would make a huge difference in the interior probably from ORH to the Berks and into CNE.

We never went above freezing in that event...had 8.5" on the front end before icing. I wouldn't predict that much this time with the way guidance looks...but then again none of us predicted that back duuring that storm either.

A secondary like that would make a huge difference in the interior probably from ORH to the Berks and into CNE.

Sounds like this could be a storm where I get 4" to brief ice to rain and you get 10". My favorite.

Sounds like this could be a storm where I get 4" to brief ice to rain and you get 10". My favorite.

Nah, I doubt our snow would be that different in this setup. The LL cold won't be an issue. Its the mid-levels. However, it could be a situation where I'm hanging onto 30-31F and ZR for hours while you rapidly warm from like 27 to 33F and rot there for a long time.

I don't need to talk about low-level temperature spread. The synoptics of that run do not allow cold air to maintain near the surface south of the pike. If there is a real secondary that develops it change things, but that is not what that run showed.

I respectfully disagree. Even down there, the run (and we are only talking relative to this run!) the surface to 850 thickness don't appear to respond in time to the the fast motion of the event - then it dry slots with back side (still) cool flow.

It also don't think it is a good idea to disregard the llv temp spread. Huh? If it's 31F in the N half of CT, with a mere +2 C for only a 3 hour period overhead, you are not raining there.

Nah, I doubt our snow would be that different in this setup. The LL cold won't be an issue. Its the mid-levels. However, it could be a situation where I'm hanging onto 30-31F and ZR for hours while you rapidly warm from like 27 to 33F and rot there for a long time.

Oh okay. I thought maybe it would be a wetter snow here while you hung on to a more 28-29F snow. Obviously this is all theoretical as its 4 days out.

I respectfully disagree. Even down there, the run (and we are only talking relative to this run!) the surface to 850 thickness don't appear to respond in time to the the fast motion of the event - then it dry slots with back side (still) cool flow.

It also don't think it is a good idea to disregard the llv temp spread. Huh? If it's 31F in the N half of CT, with a mere +2 C for only a 3 hour period overhead, you are not raining there.

look at 102 hours....that's rain for CT and RI...the dry slot hasn't arrived yet. You've lost CAD because there's no secondary development and the primary is so far north and west.

look at 102 hours....that's rain for CT and RI...the dry slot hasn't arrived yet. You've lost CAD because there's no secondary development and the primary is so far north and west.

Trust me, it wouldn't - but I think I see the problem in our disagreement - ha. My fault. I'm actually correcting for details in there, and I don't believe even at 102, given antecedent conditions combined with speed of translation of the event, that it gets "rainy" down there.

We are also talking relative to this run - so it's kind of flirting with pointless.

GFS ensemble mean trakcs the low almost entirely up the spine of the Apps...from near the NE TN/KY border to southern PA to the Berkshires to Sugarloaf ME.

dosent mean much. I have seen GFS ensembles shift dramatically within a matter of 2 or 3 runs. I remember one storm a few years ago....all the members had a big storm and the next run...only like 1 had it

Trust me, it wouldn't - but I think I see the problem in our disagreement - ha. My fault. I'm actually correcting for details in there, and I don't believe even at 102, given antecedent conditions combined with speed of translation of the event, that it gets "rainy" down there.

We are also talking relative to this run - so it's kind of flirting with pointless.

models do way more calculations than you or i ever could in our head. So if a model shows it's going to rain because it loses the cad or whatever,.I tend to think it's believable for that specific synoptic set up.

Archived