wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
December 20th-22nd Major Winter Storm Part II

andyhb

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lots of convective elements feeding into the developing deformation band that will rock cycloneville...hopefully we see some crazy reports later of +SN and 70 mph gusts.

dryslot now fully through chicago...hopefully some low topped convection will blow up ahead of the approaching low.

Your wish has been granted. Convection starting to fire near the surface low.

HRRR has some tantalizing weenie images with the big band that swings through eastern IA/western IL and then WI.

I will say though, always interesting watching big winter storms develop. They way it morphs as it goes through different forms is a good learning experience. Easy for me to say with nothing "on the line" I suppose.

lots of convective elements feeding into the developing deformation band that will rock cycloneville...hopefully we see some crazy reports later of +SN and 70 mph gusts.

dryslot now fully through chicago...hopefully some low topped convection will blow up ahead of the approaching low.

That's what I am hoping for over here in Michiana as the morning rain moves ne and the dry slot appears before the deformation band and nw winds kick in behind this thing. T storm at LAF and Kokomo earlier this morning but none up here in Michiana as far as I can tell from talking to coworkers.

You've been all snow the entire storm? If so, 6:1 ratio...puke.

As far as I can tell - SN+ at the moment and sitting at 31.6F. Snow is easily the most dense I've shoveled so the ratio seems about right. But, yeah, talk about a waste of 1.26" lol. I guess I shouldn't complain with 8" on the ground though. :)

would be nice if every run of the mill winter storm was accompanied with t-snow and 40-60 mph winds.

What kind of comment was that? Holy cow. Try being in SEMI watching all this snow on web cams to my west with little to no chance of any accumulation. I will gladly take this run of the mill storm every day all day

You know, i'm kinda glad we didn't get as much snow as forecast. This snow was a very wet snow and I see some branches that broke off from our neighbor's tree. Also, for some odd reason a American Robin decided to stay put and sing in a snow covered tree. I have video of that which I will upload in a little bit.

Wow. Just heard the anchor on WLIT 93.9 in Chicago talk about how it was the National Weather Service that named this thing Draco . . . Unfamiliarity with the actual weather products has always been an issue with many of these types of shows - mixing up watches with warnings when they are writing/reading script, etc. I had to mention that line though.

What kind of comment was that? Holy cow. Try being in SEMI watching all this snow on web cams to my west with little to no chance of any accumulation. I will gladly take this run of the mill storm every day all day

p sure it was just a clumsy IMBY whine. Either way..looks like turtletown could post a huge number later once the band gets cranking.

Wow. Just heard the anchor on WLIT 93.9 in Chicago talk about how it was the National Weather Service that named this thing Draco . . . Unfamiliarity with the actual weather products has always been an issue with many of these types of shows - mixing up watches with warnings when they are writing/reading script, etc. I had to mention that line though.

City people are going to be complaining tomorrow when Draco delivers .5" of slush that is melted by tomorrow morning.

You know, i'm kinda glad we didn't get as much snow as forecast. This snow was a very wet snow and I see some branches that broke off from our neighbor's tree. Also, for some odd reason a American Robin decided to stay put and sing in a snow covered tree. I have video of that which I will upload in a little bit.

Same here. Very wet and heavy. Since it fell before the winds really started picking up, just stuck to everything and made matters much worse.

would be nice if every run of the mill winter storm was accompanied with t-snow and 40-60 mph winds.

Compacted into 7 inches of concrete these 60 mph winds you speak of won't even move a flake of that snow...and thundersnow isn't that uncommon if you actually think about it...I have encountered it six or seven times, it's overrated just like this storm....and I have yet to see any 70 mph wind gusts today.

Archived