• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Stumbling into a wintry pattern, weenies confused; still shaken from last winter

earthlight

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am starting to think that if you started on monday and end with this upcoming sunday we may end up with a 7 day stretch of departures averaging close to 10 below at the coldest time of the year. And we may pull this off in a crud yr.

I just wish that kind of Miller A would come NOW in this bitter air mass. Janice Huff has our temp at around 50* on Day 7. This GFS solution will probably come to fruition given its coup with the 1/25 "storm." Why can't we get the best of both worlds in this so-called "wintry pattern since January 2011?"

I have a question for you guys: If we do not have a -NAO block, this upcoming Day 7 storm would probably be a rainstorm for us despite the favorable GLAAM and MJO phase, -QBO, +PNA, -EPO, and -AO?

The way the storm is depicted on the 18z GFS is not bad at all in terms of getting a big snow up here. I know that it's warm but it's not that warm. A more classic track offshore and a bombing low with that kind of phase would bring down plenty of cold air I'm sure. Just happy it's showing up at this point. On its own own for now though.

Well, there's a reason KU storms are so special: They don't happen all that often.

I do realize that; however, one would think that our 2-year unproductive streak would end eventually. And that streak does not have to an end via a KU; I was kind of referring to >5" storms for NYC. It adds insult to injury when southern areas fare better than us.

I do realize that; however, one would think that our 2-year unproductive streak would end eventually. And that streak does not have to an end via a KU; I was kind of referring to >5" storms for NYC. It adds insult to injury when southern areas fare better than us.

Fair enough; you seemed to be implying KU by mentioning Miller A and "best of both worlds" but I guess I misread you.

00z GFS still right on schedule for next week. Big long wave trough digging into the SW by hr 90. About the same as 18z so far. Shocked this hasn't gotten more attention.

gfs_namer_090_500_vort_ht.gif

It appears the disturbance at 500mb is too slow to eject and also goes to far to our west, if it headed more straight into the high we'd be in business.

Go figure next week will be 50 and rain but when we have cold air we can't get any qpf.. I think im just about given up on this winter. Not so sure I buy the whole cold and stormy Febuary stuff. How many times have we heard that and still nothing!!!!!!

Go figure next week will be 50 and rain but when we have cold air we can't get any qpf.. I think im just about given up on this winter. Not so sure I buy the whole cold and stormy Febuary stuff. How many times have we heard that and still nothing!!!!!!

I have to agree, aside from minor clippers or coatings to an inch events, I just don't see any moderate to heavy snow events. Perhaps we'll get a rain to snow solution as we transition from warm to cold again to start February but once it gets cold again, it looks dry again. Clearly the lack of an El Nino as many forecast had a lot to do with how things went. We're in a La Nina hangover basically with no active southern stream and lackluster blocking. 

I won't completely jump the gun and say this winter is like last winter because temperature wise, it's a little different for sure. There is more than one way to have a bad snow season and this winter is showing that so far. 

I have to agree, aside from minor clippers or coatings to an inch events, I just don't see any moderate to heavy snow events. Perhaps we'll get a rain to snow solution as we transition from warm to cold again to start February but once it gets cold again, it looks dry again. Clearly the lack of an El Nino as many forecast had a lot to do with how things went. We're in a La Nina hangover basically with no active southern stream and lackluster blocking.

I won't completely jump the gun and say this winter is like last winter because temperature wise, it's a little different for sure. There is more than one way to have a bad snow season and this winter is showing that so far.

Where do you get the impression that it's going to be dry for February? We are headed for very favorable GWO and GLAAM phases which lead to more storminess.

Archived