Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential Noreaster week of December 24-28th

IsentropicLift

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks like another rain to snow scenario right now as the storm deepens taps into the cold air to the north and creates its own cold air - track is critical as long as it tracks east of us and not right over us or slightly west of us a portion of the storm here should be frozen IMO

This looks like another rain to snow scenario right now as the storm deepens taps into the cold air to the north and creates its own cold air - track is critical as long as it tracks east of us and not right over us or slightly west of us a portion of the storm here should be frozen IMO

I agree. A low as deep as what the models are forecasting for this system should be able to have some nice dynamics associated with it.

18z GFS looks even worse than the 12z run and way different than the Euro,Ukie and GGEM. GFS is faster with this storm than the Euro is.

using past performance of the GFS this season as our guide back in November the GFS was doing the same thing its doing now with this system and will be playing catch up the next few days gradually moving towards the EURO solution..........

I hate to sound like a broken record but i have been banging this drum about the lack of cold air due to the strong pac jet and displaced PV. If the psuedo NAO block isnt as strong and west based as was modeled, its a torch pattern. Even with the block, a storm passing south of the area does not equal snow with all of Canada basically torched (relative to the means)

The gfs is just awful but it makes sense to some degree, you're not going to get a lot of cold with raging pacific air and a total cutoff from any cold even with a block. I don't know if we will see anything unless the pacific changes. And talk about torching, we struggle to even see below freezing temperatures around here for mid December, just a pathetic air mass.

I hate to sound like a broken record but i have been banging this drum about the lack of cold air due to the strong pac jet and displaced PV. If the psuedo NAO block isnt as strong and west based as was modeled, its a torch pattern. Even with the block, a storm passing south of the area does not equal snow with all of Canada basically torched (relative to the means)

Dude western and central Canada are cold. The PAC is in the process of reshuffling. The trof axis is pulled back til around the 20 th. pattern will change by the 20 th. we live in ny not every coastal yields a snowstorm. B patient. The last 10 days of dec will b very diff than 1st 20

Not only does the storm at 216 hours on the GFS have a good signal on the ensembles as it comes into the Western US and then eastward, there is a nicely placed block..50/50 low..cold air supply and a well signaled west coast ridge spike on an axis near Boise. This would place the storm around the 22nd-24th.

Not only does the storm at 216 hours on the GFS have a good signal on the ensembles as it comes into the Western US and then eastward, there is a nicely placed block..50/50 low..cold air supply and a well signaled west coast ridge spike on an axis near Boise. This would place the storm around the 22nd-24th.

Excellent! :)

Hr 144-150. Nice hint that CNJ goes over

So my thinking some pp goes over to snow on the end if the dynamics r right Will not b on same spot in 3days

But it may b a case of the modeling seeing the block then having to retrograde before pulling away

In that case cold air could wrapped in underneath

We might be waiting until that weekend for our shot at snow if you ask me. The pattern will develop, it just make take a bit longer than next week.

Heck, it could take until end of December to fully be developed, which can happen.

End 2012 with a bang?

Archived