Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential Noreaster week of December 24-28th

IsentropicLift

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, with ensembles, signals are often muted a bit. They smooth out the extremes. When taking that into account, the signals are clearly there for a PNA spike along with the NAO block. Perhaps the Aleutian ridge would bridge with them, too. It's still a bit far out in time but I still like the signals. Could the trough orientation be a bit too far east? Sure. But I feel like once you take into account that extremes are muted on ensembles, that problem becomes significantly less.

It's not impossible. But when you have a -PDO type Pacific pattern, the Atlantic side blocking has

to really dominate the Pacific like we had back in 2010. The Aleutians ridge needs to weaken and

allow the -NAO ridge to complete the retrograde. A partial retrograde would just leave us with

an omega block and mostly dry NW flow aloft. But we'll see what happens since it's beyond the

10 day ensemble mean range at this point.

The Euro ensembles have a really strong signal for a deep trough in the East at 192 hours, with a ridge spike out west and the huge blocking retrograding to the Davis Straight.

Thats when the operational was showing a miller B.

The Euro ensembles have a really strong signal for a deep trough in the East at 192 hours, with a ridge spike out west and the huge blocking retrograding to the Davis Straight.

Based on what you are seeing - how confident are you that this same signal will still be there at or less than 120 hours out?

Based on what you are seeing - how confident are you that this same signal will still be there at or less than 120 hours out?

Hard to say because there are so many shortwaves embedded within a very active flow. But seeing the Euro ensembles with such a robust negative height anomaly at that time is certainly encouraging.

With rain. This is your antecedent airmass.

D5.gif

If we get precipitation on Tuesday night or Wednesday as the models are indicating is a possibility, I believe we could get snow in Northern New Jersey. 850's are below freezing by then and the Euro showed surface temps in the low to mid 30's at that point

If we get precipitation on Tuesday night or Wednesday as the models are indicating is a possibility, I believe we could get snow in Northern New Jersey. 850's are below freezing by then and the Euro showed surface temps in the low to mid 30's at that point

Maybe the high elevations on the back end. This pattern both aloft and with the surface cold air available will make it very hard to get snow at sea level.

It is a deepening low from 992 near Cape May to 988mb just south of Long Island with a track that keeps it just off shore. This would keep it warm near the coast, but I really think the model is warming things up too much for a low of that magnitude that is deepening and remaining off shore as it passes by our location, and with that intensity of precipitation (around 1.25 inches of precip). I think you are too negative on this storm. it may still bomb out earlier too. And what if it tracks just slightly further off shore? Even with that track and that intensity of low pressure and precip, I just think it is too warm and it will verify colder. Maybe not cold enough for the city or the coast, but inland locations may get some decent snow, in my opinion.

Don't argue with him, John. Obviously he knows what he's talking about.

Don't argue with him, John. Obviously he knows what he's talking about.

Good time for a subject change before I waste time on that one again...

The Euro has a really ridiculous solution at 174 hours but it's really cool to see. This fits right into the Euro Ens signal from this afternoon for a potential big Eastern US trough. On this run the primary gets far north...Chicago...but the cold air hangs tough in the Northeast. Now the ULL has northern stream component and it is being forced underneath the block.

Just like that...the blocking pays off..and we're close to a Miller B snowstorm at 186 hrs.

That wave can't go into the block. It's forced to redevelop. Hence the excitement by myself and a few others over the 12z Euro Ens signal.

PS.....big snowstorm at 198.

Woof. I love how that s/w comes in on the west coast really amped up, the blocking is already in place so a cutter solution unlikely.

wow

Archived