• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential Noreaster week of December 24-28th

IsentropicLift

It got down to -3.0 a few days ago, which is not that far off.

The duration and intensity of the blocking was greater than we seeing this year. We set the 500 mb positive

height anomaly record in December 2010. 2009 featured several days in a row of over 400 m anomalies with

a much colder pattern in place than we are seeing this year.

I am not saying that it would be impossible to see snow here before the month is finished, just that

the lack of cold air will make it more challenging to get a storm of say 4-6 inches plus.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Patrick

Good point about folks in the subforum. Up here in the hills of Sussex might be a good spot.. But the really warm solutions would even keep me shoveling cold rain

Good point about folks in the subforum. Up here in the hills of Sussex might be a good spot.. But the really warm solutions would even keep me shoveling cold rain

This looks like a classic North and West of I-287 special to me, which is good for my backyard. Hopefully we do get something next week and it sets the stage for a major system that we can all cash in on.

Aside from the h240 on the 0Z Euro (which looked really good, but alas its 240 hours away, as usual), this pattern (at least what depicted on the GFS) in the longer term looks crappy, to put it mildly. Its a constant roll over western ridge, +epo, no real blocking, little room for amplification and NO COLD AIR anywhere...i am quite certain if the GFS comes to fruition there wont be any meaningful winter weather at our latitude for quite some time - First week of january at the soonest, probably longer.

Aside from the h240 on the 0Z Euro (which looked really good, but alas its 240 hours away, as usual), this pattern (at least what depicted on the GFS) in the longer term looks crappy, to put it mildly. Its a constant roll over western ridge, +epo, no real blocking, little room for amplification and NO COLD AIR anywhere...i am quite certain if the GFS comes to fruition there wont be any meaningful winter weather at our latitude for quite some time - First week of january at the soonest, probably longer.

Dont look at the GFS past 120 hrs - late next week is wrong , its just too fast with the trof into the West , so it knocks the hieght lines down and sends energy into the lakes

Not if theres a block there , so dont look too far down the road .

Its been having trouble with every piece of energy in the next 7 days

Dont look at the GFS past 120 hrs - late next week is wrong , its just too fast with the trof into the West , so it knocks the hieght lines down and sends energy into the lakes

Not if theres a block there , so dont look too far down the road .

Its been having trouble with every piece of energy in the next 7 days

its about the main players...i just dont see this as a pattern that will produce anything substantial (or for that matter at all)...the pacific is AWFUL. That needs to sort itself quick or we are in troubles...

its about the main players...i just dont see this as a pattern that will produce anything substantial (or for that matter at all)...the pacific is AWFUL. That needs to sort itself quick or we are in troubles...

Maybe headed into a slightly better pattern . The PAC will never be perfect .

Think it gets lost on pp that we live on the coast at a mid lattitude and theres always goin to be a fly in the ointment .

Theres a lot of support in the Ensembles that point to storms flying accross with a block .

So not sure if patterns gets to where it has too , but prob better than where we were .

You would want to see that block out near the Aleutians weaken enough to let the retrograding

-NAO block end up further west than the day 10 Euro is depicting. Otherwise, the trough near the

East Coast will be in a position to far east for a storm for us. Eastern New England could get

lucky along with the possibility of an overrunning event in the Mid-Atlantic. Hopefully, the Pacific

stops overpowering the Atlantic and it gets colder over the East further down the road.

You would want to see that block out near the Aleutians weaken enough to let the retrograding

-NAO block end up further west than the day 10 Euro is depicting. Otherwise, the trough near the

East Coast will be in a position to far east for a storm for us. Eastern New England could get

lucky along with the possibility of an overrunning event in the Mid-Atlantic. Hopefully, the Pacific

stops overpowering the Atlantic and it gets colder over the East further down the road.

I've been seeing for awhile now on the GEFS too. Even after the18-20th storms bombs out, the trough axis winds up too far east, for anything to turn more north up the coast. The period after the 20th to around Christmas, might just be cold and dry for us.

Maybe headed into a slightly better pattern . The PAC will never be perfect .

Think it gets lost on pp that we live on the coast at a mid lattitude and theres always goin to be a fly in the ointment .

Theres a lot of support in the Ensembles that point to storms flying accross with a block .

So not sure if patterns gets to where it has too , but prob better than where we were .

i will say the Op 12Z Euro in the long range (240) looks real good...

to me, the -nao block seems too far west...its impeding the cold air from getting down here...maybe im crazy (and wrong)

to me, the -nao block seems too far west...its impeding the cold air from getting down here...maybe im crazy (and wrong)

The Pacific pattern hasn't been favorable for snow or cold here so far this month. The ensembles

maintain too strong of a ridge south of the Aleutians overpowering the Atlantic.

Cold and snowy December composite since 1995

To be fair, with ensembles, signals are often muted a bit. They smooth out the extremes. When taking that into account, the signals are clearly there for a PNA spike along with the NAO block. Perhaps the Aleutian ridge would bridge with them, too. It's still a bit far out in time but I still like the signals. Could the trough orientation be a bit too far east? Sure. But I feel like once you take into account that extremes are muted on ensembles, that problem becomes significantly less.

Archived