• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Heading into December

Alpha5

Brutal snowmelt last night.  39° at 3pm and 44° at 5am and quite windy.  Lost all "natural" snow and the plow piles that I thought were safe took a beating.  Might lose them also at this rate, especially with heavy rain coming.

It's amazing you had less than 40" of snow last winter and might not get more than that this season. That's after several epic seasons in that area with 100"+ like 07-08. 11-12 and 12-13 have been two of the worst back-to-back winters.

And I'd say snowmobile season is basically done for most areas...none of the snow events coming look like high QPF, just a few powdery clippers. That's not going to put much of a base down, and then you're getting into mid-late February when sun angle starts to become a detriment to holding snowpack. Not really seeing it this year. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing you had less than 40" of snow last winter and might not get more than that this season. That's after several epic seasons in that area with 100"+ like 07-08. 11-12 and 12-13 have been two of the worst back-to-back winters.

And I'd say snowmobile season is basically done for most areas...none of the snow events coming look like high QPF, just a few powdery clippers. That's not going to put much of a base down, and then you're getting into mid-late February when sun angle starts to become a detriment to holding snowpack. Not really seeing it this year. 

Give us 4 days....then talk!! :)  30-50 inches over the next 5 days for the Tug Hill area...and everywhere near by that area should get things going again in a hurry...and then next weeks clippers and subsequent bouts of LES....I think it will be a great February around these parts....and we'll get another EC storm pretty soon I'd presume.

Yea, I would have thought <40" was not possible before last year.  Some of those ~100" years were bad for riding but we always seemed to get snow, even if it melted.  I still have hopes for the tug (especially after reading LEK's post) but it would be nice to ride somewhere else.

NAM Hi-Res looks great but WRF models dont go out far enough yet (at least the ARW and NMM).

Edit to add: Just looked at the 4km BTV WRF and it had us right in the bullseye!

Don't you think that shear might be a limiting factor? I'm talking about the 60hr NAM panels. Let me know if I'm misreading things.

Snow is completely gone here... crazy how fast it went. Even more crazy it's 61° last thursday morning it was-14 for the low that's a freakin 75° difference that just blows my mind. Gonna have to start over for the 3rd time for the 2012/2013 snowmobile season WTF. Other than LES snow not looking like any major storms in site. I'm already looking forward to spring and the golf and racing season.

Even if we do get lots of snow everyday for the next week...it is going to be very hard to freeze up the mud/waterholes that we finally got frozen in last weeks negative numbers!  Around here most of of our trails are covered in running water, even areas where it is normally standing water have swift creeks flowing over them...must be the drainage pipes are plugged with ice or other debris!!!  and we all know nothing eats up snow like open water!!!!  So sad as we had an overnight trip on the sleds from the house planned for next week to the Adirondacks!!!

Keep an eye on the differences between the NMM and ARW-WRF models for LES later Friday night through early Saturday morning.  Quite an impressive band on the ARW just south of Buffalo...probably from West Seneca to Orchard Park area...while the NMM band is very weak.

Unfortunately, it seems like there is a problem with the MM5 at Stony Brook right now....hasn't been posted for the last several days.

Keep an eye on the differences between the NMM and ARW-WRF models for LES later Friday night through early Saturday morning.  Quite an impressive band on the ARW just south of Buffalo...probably from West Seneca to Orchard Park area...while the NMM band is very weak.

Unfortunately, it seems like there is a problem with the MM5 at Stony Brook right now....hasn't been posted for the last several days.

like I said to BuffaloWeather earlier the 4km BTV WRF (both the 06z and 12z runs) looks very similar to the ARW. Spitting out anywhere between 1.25 and 1.75" of QPF is surely overdone though.

Seems to be fine now:  24 hour precip starting at 00z tonight:

pcp24.36.0000.gif

And then the next 24 hours after that:

pcp24.60.0000.gif

NWS BUF

.SHORT TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT/...

MOST OF THE PERIOD WILL CONTINUE TO BE DOMINATED BY LAKE EFFECT

SNOWS. WESTERLY FLOW LAKE SNOWS AS WE START THE PERIOD WILL LIFT

NORTHWARD DURING THE COURSE OF FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY AS WINDS

BACK TO BETWEEN 240 AND 260 IN RESPONSE TO AN APPROACHING UPPER

WAVE. LAKE PARAMETERS STILL REMAINING QUITE FAVORABLE FOR THE

CONTINUATION A FAIRLY INTENSE LAKE BANDS TO REMAIN INTACT AS THEY

LIFTS NORTHWARD OFF BOTH LAKES. DEEP OVER-LAKE INSTABILITY REMAINS

WITH LAKE INDUCE CAPES AROUND 500 J/KG INVERSION HEIGHTS AVERAGING

AROUND 8K FEET WHICH IS NOT IDEAL...BUT WITH THE BUFKIT PROFILES

SHOWING THE MAXIMUM OMEGA BURIED WELL WITHIN THE FAVORED DENDRITIC

GROWTH ZONE COULD EASILY SEE THE POTENTIAL FOR SEVERAL INCHES OR

MORE OF SNOW WORKING INTO THE BUFFALO METRO AREA...ESPECIALLY THE

SOUTHTOWNS AND THE WATERTOWN AREA DURING THIS TIME FRAME. THERE

HAS BEEN ENOUGH MODEL CONTINUITY TO SUGGEST THE POTENTIAL FOR

SIGNIFICANT SNOWS IN THESE AREAS...THEREFORE WILL ISSUE A LAKE

EFFECT SNOW WATCH TO COVER THIS POTENTIAL.

850 mb winds around 50 kts based on the SPC mesoanalysis are leading to some speed shear in the Lake Ontario band. This is giving the band a cellular, disorganized look on radar. It looks like the height gradient should slowly weaken in the next few hours and allow the band to intensify and develop a more organized central core.

thanks must have heard my complaint lol.

Band seems to weak on the MM5 Friday night and Saturday for BUF.

I agree...but then again I'm not so sure the model is going to pick up on the fact that I'm sure a lot of the L. Erie ice is broken up....that may really nicely aid to one last good event off Erie before the sad faces pop up! ;)

I agree...but then again I'm not so sure the model is going to pick up on the fact that I'm sure a lot of the L. Erie ice is broken up....that may really nicely aid to one last good event off Erie before the sad faces pop up! ;)

I think the models have ice parameters built in.  I mean the ice is probably only reducing evaporation by 10%, maybe even less.

Archived