northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 2012 Pattern Analysis

HailMan06

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

970s just off the NJ coast...a little farther east or a better air mass and this is the biggest run since 12/26/10 hands down.

this is very reminiscent of Dec 1992. No cold air on this side of the world...stalled out low....one difference, thankfully, is the lacking strong hP in canada....

this is very reminiscent of Dec 1992. No cold air on this side of the world...stalled out low....one difference, thankfully, is the lacking strong hP in canada....

Was just thinking this. And I remember the flooding we had in Monmouth County was only surpassed recently by Sandy (of course). I also remember it snowed even to the coast on the backend...

Huge storm. Will be fun to track even though cold air is an obvious issue.

On the positive side, the EURO has very stubborn strong confluence in a great spot. Almost a banana type high in the later frames. That would ultimately affect the outcome if it is a real feature. We are going to need the blocking.

The retrograding block into the Davis Straits region has been a notorious precursor of major cyclogenesis events on the East Coast throughout history (a ticking time bomb so to speak). The question in my mind is not whether we get the storm but what are the finer details -- that is, what we actually care about at the surface. Models are still having a difficult time in terms of energy handling / spacing of the three short waves embedded in the flow. Would not be surprised to see that second wave lose/gain energy or seemingly disappear altogether on future runs. The final wave in the parade is usually the one that does the dirty work. My guess right now is the 130-144hr light snow the ECMWF depicts is probably BS. We'll likely see the first wave attempt to cut into the Lakes but transfer south of Long Island. First storm has its sfc high pressure too far north for the PHL-NYC area to get any accumulating snows as depicted. Then we'll have to monitor the cold push behind the first wave, and the presence of mid level ridging across sern Canada.

I find it amazing that this 18th-20th threat was detected by data fairly far in advance, and if this occurs, we've got to give ourselves a pat on the back for those of us who saw this potential period from early in December. The game has just begun folks.

BTW, the pattern immediately following the 20th storm should be turning significantly colder w/ finally some below normal high temps on a consistent basis for the Eastern US. Definite improvements occurring in the NPAC by D 7-10.

Very interesting analogs. I checked out Dec 1996...a storm cut into the lower Great Lakes on the 5th, then a new low developed and scooted just south of Long Island by the 6th. On the 7th and 8th, a somewhat more significant low developed along the mid-Atlantic coast and then cut into eastern New England.

You can nitpick details, but the overall indications of models right now have a similar outcome.

12z ECWMF ensembles don't like the idea of a huge wrapped up system. Actually more of a SWFE/Miller B hybrid, but cold enough for much of the region. Also much more progressive with the system.

http://raleighwx.ame...mbTSLPUS168.gif

Remember that this is an ensemble mean, so everything gets smoothed out. I'm sure some members have a more amplified storm.

The long range guidance and ensemble mean height anomalies posted above, which take us into late December and January, are beginning to match up with the QBO analogs which showed the big time pattern change in January and February. We're also starting to see the guidance pick up on the return of the Aleutian ridge in the Pacific.

post-6-0-05214300-1355352576_thumb.png

I guess his point was that the analog keeps coming up..would be much colder the second half of the month if those analogs came to fruition.

I think we'll see colder weather coming behind the low next week, but it looks like any double digit

daily negative departures relative to the means should end up over the Southeast.

I think we are going to need one of these pieces of energy to be out of the Rockies so better data gets absorbed into the models and they know which feature to key on .

I wana see if the 1st system can drag the trof east .

You can run a strorm to the benchmark in AUG and it obviously doesnt snow .

We really are missing an important ingerdient ,COLD air and until the models can solve that for me . Im headed to Killington . :ski:

I am impressed that the models see a big coastal low 10 days out and if it

holds will be a good job by them

Very interesting analogs. I checked out Dec 1996...a storm cut into the lower Great Lakes on the 5th, then a new low developed and scooted just south of Long Island by the 6th. On the 7th and 8th, a somewhat more significant low developed along the mid-Atlantic coast and then cut into eastern New England.

You can nitpick details, but the overall indications of models right now have a similar outcome.

Its important to note that Central Park recorded a trace of snow in December 1996.

I think we'll see colder weather coming behind the low next week, but it looks like any double digit

daily negative departures relative to the means should end up over the Southeast.

For the most part, if we're talking consistent double digit departures here...we're talking a storm track that brings snow to Raleigh.

For the most part, if we're talking consistent double digit departures here...we're talking a storm track that brings snow to Raleigh.

Yeah I mean I think it's impressive to get a string of 3-4 days of double digit negatives, within a pattern of generally -5 to -10s on a daily basis. For January, consistent highs in the 28-32F range is pretty cold for our area. Rarely do we see < 20F highs for more than 2-3 consecutive days.

Archived