Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2012 Pattern Analysis

HailMan06

Hi All:

Its getting close to December so I felt that I should post my first monthly thread.

The pattern we are going into seems to be with us until at least December 20th. We may have an occasional snow shower and cold period. With a pacific airmass overspreading the CONUS any polar airmass will rapidly modify, preventing any arctic outbreaks from occurring. Additionally, the lack of a temperature gradient and a northerly polar jet will tend to lead to a lack of strominess and precipitation, leading to a continuation of the dry pattern we are in.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All:

Its getting close to December so I felt that I should post my first monthly thread.

The pattern we are going into seems to be with us until at least December 20th. We may have an occasional snow shower and cold period. With a pacific airmass overspreading the CONUS any polar airmass will rapidly modify, preventing any arctic outbreaks from occurring. Additionally, the lack of a temperature gradient and a northerly polar jet will tend to lead to a lack of strominess and precipitation, leading to a continuation of the dry pattern we are in.

So instead of posting in the thread I started before yours:

You start your own instead and put a reply in mine with a link to your thread? Mature. Weenies crack me up. Enjoy kid!

http://www.americanw...nd-discussions/

You start your own instead and put a reply in mine with a link to your thread? Mature. Weenies crack me up. Enjoy kid!

is there something i'm missing here?

he started his thread a few days ago.

you started your thread today.

december off to a controversial start!

Hi All:

Hopefully the pacific dominated pattern may be breaking down prior to the date you referenced....overnight euro and 6z gfs show some signs of hope

?????

I'm sorry if I offended you but I did start my thread before you, two days before you in fact. Read the time stamp before posting stuff like this because I take name calling as a personal attack.

Can`t sleep ..... IMO , If there is a system that comes out the SE next week , it should go up West ofthe mountians.

Any cold that gets into the east in the next 15 days will be of the - in and out variety , as the main trough axis seems to get pulled back just as it gets

to the coast .

This pattern is driven by the EPO and as long as it is its POS phase it argues for SE ridging . My real fear is once the EPO

goes NEG the cold that gets released gets dumped into the West first and " thats another week or 2 long pattern " and now

that takes you into the 3 rd and 4 th week of Dec , and by that time its likely a lock for an above normal DEC temp wise .

Patterns EVOLVE , they dont change on a dime , so be careful forecasting a drastic change to winter because a models

3 and 4 week 500 MB Ensembles show it . Typical GFS error is to dump a trough into the east hr 288 and beyond on almost every operation run .

So when the pattern does change " this is not last year " I just dont think its preceeded by a snowstorm ALA the Euro and I dont think it starts Day 10 .

Check out the 12z ECMWF 500 mb Height anomalies. Not a bad look to this particular frame at all. Ridging in the pacific and a west based -NAO ridge, all this with cold air dumping into almost the entire CONUS.

This would be around the date that many meteorologists have suggested a pattern change to occur.

12zeuro500mbHeightAnomalyNA240.gif

Am I the only one that is hesitant and somewhat traumatized by last winters continues talk of pattern changes?

I used to be very bullish in 9/10 10/11 but last winter crushed that unreasonable attitude.

I am all about a West based -NAO lets hope it plays out.

Am I the only one that is hesitant and somewhat traumatized by last winters continues talk of pattern changes?

I used to be very bullish in 9/10 10/11 but last winter crushed that unreasonable attitude.

It seems like pattern changes only fit into two categories of either delayed but not denied or completely denied.

2006-2007 and 2005-2006 were the former and last year and 2007-2008 the later.

I think alot of us will feel better when these changes are modeled 5 days out rather than 10+ days. Last year the Op GFS kept showing promise in the 10-15 day range. But at this point, its better than no change in sight...

I think alot of us will feel better when these changes are modeled 5 days out rather than 10+ days. Last year the Op GFS kept showing promise in the 10-15 day range. But at this point, its better than no change in sight...

If the Euro ensembles start showing improvement in the 6-10 day then maybe we will have something

to hang out hat on. It continues to hold onto the +EPO vortex through the next 10 days keeping the

cold locked up in Alaska and nearby Canada.

Archived