• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 2012 Pattern Analysis

HailMan06

Big storm potential but I don't like the fact that there's no cold air in place before it. We need more separation between the weak wave and the stronger s/w or have the first one really amplify as it passes us so it creates a more solid 50/50 low and drains a bit more cold air before the bigger storm starts taking shape.

This is the gfs though and we will probably see dozens of solutions so over analyzing one run is pretty pointless right now.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More likely to be east than west.

A little early to be calling individual model runs (and trends) at this point, there are a lot of potential waves and impulse within the mean flow here that could interfere and push either system (or both) in a different direction.

Euro's a big hit at 174-186,. Awesome solution. You could argue you'd want it a little farther east to avoid some mixing at the coast.

With a track like that and those rates the column will take care of itself. You are not goin to rain w an intensifying low on a NE wind as a system heads near the BM I think it's a case of the models not seeing low level cold air 7 days out. If you lock on that solution BL temps will get colder on the model as we get closer. It's 7 days out and it looks to prog upper 30s. Get me that solution and the dynamics will take care of itself

A little early to be calling individual model runs (and trends) at this point, there are a lot of potential waves and impulse within the mean flow here that could interfere and push either system (or both) in a different direction.

The flow is progressive and there is a decent block. Would be hard for the second wave to go too far west.

. Nah. Take GLC off the table , not gona run anything into that block. 2 choices. It's up or it's out. But ths is coming out off the SE coast Just a few more days too see if the ridge line flat. Over the Rockies. Or over the central US. That will determine if there's enough ridging in front of it. I think there is

This is going to be a deep system. Lotta 970s showing up a week away. So places inland that are all snow will forget how awful the first 20 days of dec were. For me in colts neck I'm sure it's gona be dicey in the beginning but a deep system should eventually turn me over If its one system into the Ohio valley that dies then we prob snow when a secondary started bombing out.

This is going to be a deep system. Lotta 970s showing up a week away. So places inland that are all snow will forget how awful the first 20 days of dec were. For me in colts neck I'm sure it's gona be dicey in the beginning but a deep system should eventually turn me over If its one system into the Ohio valley that dies then we prob snow when a secondary started bombing out.

yup as always it will be a close call for us. Plenty of time to track though.

The 00z ECMWF ENS Mean bears some pretty strong similarities to the 00z Operational in terms of the track for the system. The Minimum SLP with this system of course is higher because this is a smoothed out mean, than it is for the Operational, but this is a pretty low pressure for a smoothed out mean being 7-8 days out.

00zecmwfens850mbTSLPUS192.gif

We're still not in the range where individual OP runs matter any more than for general information and for fun tracking storms.

The GFS appears to combine our main energy energy into wave downstream/out ahead from a warmer regime, allowing an even warmer and amplified solution. Although blocking does reduce the margin of error, with a pacific pattern so active and hostile, there are going to be more ebbs in the flow to iron out than what one would normally see in a very west based NAO pattern.

All of the models are indicating the potential for a big storm system. I think the surface cold air is going to be an issue if the first wave doesn't move east and develop a psuedo- 50/50 like some of the guidance was showing yesterday.

But, even then, we can still see snow away from the coast if a situation like the Canadian verifies where the storm rapidly deepens just off the coast.

f126.gif

Looks to be a little bit of a mess this run. The first wave is weak...so the antecedent airmass is poor to begin with. Then it looks like it has two different pieces of energy...one ejecting northeast through the MS Valley at 114 and the other all the way back in the Rockies.

The models look very confused with the handling of the 2nd wave

Big Snowstorms love to come at the end of cold patterns , not many begin them .

Lotta time to sort out details , Models are not goin to pick up low level cold air if it gets filtered in

untilthe 1 st system is off the field .

I thnk this more wet than white ( see above ) - but its 7 days out .

should hav said right on coast

Archived