• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 2012 General Discussion

Guru Of Reason

We got off to a good start here in Kenosha--good clip of snow from roughly 11:45 until 12:15. All rain after that--nothing measurable--rain though was coming down at a pretty good clip.

Thinking tomorrow into Thursday will be fun from a wind perspective--only expecting a couple inches--unless this thing shifts south a bit more.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got off to a good start here in Kenosha--good clip of snow from roughly 11:45 until 12:15. All rain after that--nothing measurable--rain though was coming down at a pretty good clip.

Thinking tomorrow into Thursday will be fun from a wind perspective--only expecting a couple inches--unless this thing shifts south a bit more.

Milwaukee office showing 3-6" for Kenosha.

Looks like Beaver Dam was the winner today!

0225 PM SNOW 3 W BEAVER DAM 43.46N 88.90W

12/18/2012 M3.3 INCH DODGE WI TRAINED SPOTTER

STORM TOTAL.

I think their cut off on the current map is too sharp. Expecting a more gradual ramp up in totals. Burlington, Waukesha will be over 7" for sure.

I think the last time we had a pattern as active as this was back in 2007-2008.

Hopefully the cold air will play ball too so we can all get in on something.

This is probably a better discussion for the LR thread but isnt it the truth. We have now THREE major winter storms possibly affecting the midwest/Lakes/NE in the next TWO WEEKS (tomorrows storm, the one just after Christmas, and another one possible around new years). Who knows after that but current indications are for a cold January. This is after having ZERO widespread major storms all of last winter in this region (the closest being the Mar 2-3 storm to hit northern MI, but that was a very compact storm).

The active pattern should HOPEFULLY put an end to all the ignorant, idiotic talk by some of there being no winter this year, and focus onto tracking the storms. It would be nice to see 2007-08esque spread the wealth as well. I notice that the NW edge of this current winter storm seems to align with the SE edge of the smaller but heavy snowstorm to hit MN a week or so ago, so thats a step in the right direction...hopefully the next storm tracks further SE. DTW certainly has been sharing in most of the wealth the last 5 years (even doing better than most in last years trainwreck)....but IF by some horrible luck we end up in a 1995-96esque snowhole I will be fuming.

13F this morning... Official reading at the airport was around 5.5 inches...which seems almost right on with my reading. Wind has let up some, but still blowing at a good clip. Full sun, which is the first in a loooooong time. Hopefully get a few sunny days here, cold (single digits tonite) and we'll make some ice for the ice fisherguys.

Looks like the potential for a prolonged period of lake effect snow early next week is increasing.

I've been seeing that! A 12/25/10 replay would be awesome!

At 25° right now, with a wind chill in the lower teens. Car was covered in crusty snow this morning. Doors frozen shut too! Had quite a few small branches knocked out of the trees from the wind overnight.

Looks like the potential for a prolonged period of lake effect snow early next week is increasing.

It has been awhile for us for pure lake effect, except before Groundhog Day while we were waiting for the massive precip shield. Aside from that, it's been 3 years I believe since SE Wisconsin has seen a pure lake effect event. We're due.

Wisconsin-

Is lake effect common in your area? Where is LE most likely to strike along the shore there?

Nam shows 8F here tonite. Not really that cold considering the snow cover. I'm sure Sparta will be at 0F or below.

I wouldn't say this storm was a fail here, but I was expecting 10 to 12 inches... but to be fair, it fell all around me, just not on me. Looking at the GFS, it looks like the snow pack should stick around for awhile.

Wisconsin-

Is lake effect common in your area? Where is LE most likely to strike along the shore there?

Nam shows 8F here tonite. Not really that cold considering the snow cover. I'm sure Sparta will be at 0F or below.

I wouldn't say this storm was a fail here, but I was expecting 10 to 12 inches... but to be fair, it fell all around me, just not on me. Looking at the GFS, it looks like the snow pack should stick around for awhile.

Not very common, but usually once every year or two to varying degrees. It's really a crapshoot as to where it sets up, though the GFS seems to be broadbrushing far SE Wisconsin in this time period (Tuesday into early Wednesday, and from Milwaukee or Ozaukee County southward and a bit inland). Usually it is pretty isolated, like the eastern half of Milwaukee County or a one or two county area slightly inland.

Archived