Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 2012 General Discussion

Guru Of Reason

DLL - What Wiswx wrote above and...

The lake effect usually stays within 15 miles of the lake. ENE winds are good for multiple bands with moderate snow. It's the NNE, NE winds coupled with light off shore winds that set the stage for converging winds and a single large band. 12/25/10 was a text book example of that. Usually in those single band solutions the snow doesn't fall more then 10 miles at most inland. Racine I would say sees the most LES since they stick out into the lake a little more and can catch a little extra from bands hugging the shoreline. Of course the lake effect chances increase as you work down through IL and then IN.

Added: Waukesha and Washington Counties are pretty much the only inland counties that can catch the LES - since Ozaukee and Milwaukee Counties are narrow.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's an awesome satellite shot with the river valley's pronounced like that. And the bluffs. Going to save that image! :D

Cloudy now with 24°. Still brisk winds.

DLL- Yeah the warmer lake would provide better Delta T values for LES.

When conditions are optimal, 30-35dbz on radar is like white out conditions. Couple inches per hour easily.

Well I guess we did have a lake effect event within the last two years:

http://stormchasingf...wnews.php?id=44

Looks like almost exactly two years ago to the date in fact. I must not have remembered this one as well, but it shows the isolated nature of lake effect snow on this side of the shore.

Good thing you don't remember it.. I think that was the event that cut me off from radar gawking during a event. I thought you weren't going to look or post on the board until Saturday night :lol:

The overall synoptic setup is pretty favorable for lake effect but soundings from next week show plenty of dry air from 850-700mb plus delta T's seem to be a bit on the low side. I am going to dig around a little bit and try to find some more lake effect snow events over the past 10 years on this side of the lake.

The overall synoptic setup is pretty favorable for lake effect but soundings from next week show plenty of dry air from 850-700mb plus delta T's seem to be a bit on the low side. I am going to dig around a little bit and try to find some more lake effect snow events over the past 10 years on this side of the lake.

If we could keep the first 7500 feet relatively moist, it would be pretty good. Need to moisten it up a bit at 850mb. (~5000ft)

Nice read > http://www.crh.noaa.gov/Image/lot/severe/SouthernLakeMichiganLES.pdf

As far as lake effect potential on the western side of Lake Michigan, inversion heights seemed pretty low on the GFS forecast soundings when I looked.

LOT montioned this in their morning AFD...

HOWEVER...ANOTHER ISSUE

MAY CROP UP ON MONDAY AND TUESDAY...LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS

NORTHEASTERN ILLINOIS. A PROLONGED PERIOD OF NORTHEASTERLY WINDS ARE

EXPECTED AS SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE DOMINATES ACROSS THE NORTHERN

PLAINS REGION. IT APPEARS THAT THERMODYNAMIC CONDITIONS WILL BE

SOMEWHAT FAVORABLE FOR LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS TO DEVELOP DURING

THE PERIOD. SURFACE LAKE TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO BE ABOUT 16 TO

17 DEGREES WARMER THAN THE 850 MB TEMPERATURES...WHICH IS GOOD.

HOWEVER...IT APPEARS THE COLD AIRMASS WILL BE SOMEWHAT

SHALLOW...WHICH DOES NOT GO WELL FOR INVERSION HEIGHTS. WARMER

TEMPERATURES ALOFT LOOK TO ONLY ALLOW FOR INVERSION HEIGHTS TO 6500

FEET AGL. THIS DOES NOT GET WELL INTO THE DENDRITIC GROWTH

ZONE...WHICH MEANS THIS IS NOT THE BEST SETUP FOR HEAVY LAKE EFFECT

SNOW SHOWERS. WITH THAT BEING SAID...THERE CERTAINLY APPEARS TO BE

A DECENT CHANCE OF SOME SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS NORTHEASTERN ILLINOIS

WITH THE OPTIMAL NORTHEASTERN FETCH. THESE SNOW SHOWERS COULD

CONTINUE INTO MID WEEK AS THE WINDS LOOK TO REMAIN NORTHEASTERLY FOR

AN EXTENDED PERIOD.

As far as lake effect potential on the western side of Lake Michigan, inversion heights seemed pretty low on the GFS forecast soundings when I looked.

Yup. The depth of the cold air is too shallow. Obviously things will change but as of now I cant see anything more than some light snow. Now if we can get the inversion to around 750-700mb, then we are looking a more significant event.

Yup. The depth of the cold air is too shallow. Obviously things will change but as of now I cant see anything more than some light snow. Now if we can get the inversion to around 750-700mb, then we are looking a more significant event.

Well we have something else to keep an eye on!

Hopefully the increased snow cover can build up the cold air dome more.

700mb ≈ 10,000ft

750mb ≈ 8,884ft

800mb ≈ 6,667ft

So if we could get the inversion above 9000 ft that would be great.

That 1/7-8/2010 event put down 8.8" here. Kind of forgot about that event.

---

Down to 20° with clear skies. Snow didn't go anywhere today!

Not a cloud in the sky all day today. Crystal clear, Canadian blue skies. Was very bright out there with all the fresh snow cover. Been so cloudy lately it was a pretty dramatic change. Even with all of the sun the snow hasn't melted at all. Even some area roads are still ice and snow covered.

Should make a run at zero tonight.

The first official day of winter was the wintriest day weve seen here in nearly 10 months, from the blowing, swirling snow to the steel skies. Was just outside and the billowy overcast night sky is very dark in contrast to the light coat of fresh white on the ground, and the wind is howling. Long live winter...and give me LOTS MORE please!

Yeah... can tell the airmass isn't that cold, because everything is there (clear/calm/deep snow) for lows to plummet. I've got 11F here...Sparta showing 0F.

Yeah for mid-late Dec standards this airmass isn't very impressive, but definitely the coldest of the season so far for many of us in the region. IIRC we only dipped below zero a few times last season, which is a far cry from many of the recent seasons.

The world didn't end, just the constant torch.... This was the first day of winter and finially felt and looked like it. Glad to see nome normal temps and they seem to get even colder near the end of the month. Ended up with about 2" in the back yard and lots of drifting considering the amount of snow which fell. Even got a Christmas bonus salting in.

Ready for ther next round!!! :)

Archived