joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Contest: Highest wind gust at DCA, IAD, & BWI

Bob Chill

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to easily agree with you mattie and yes, it really doesn't seem "possible" at all but...if 925mb winds are screaming at 100+mph then it's actually in the realm of "possible".

July 2010 was estimated at 60-65mph in my immediate area. The derecho speaks for itself. Adding 15-20mph on top of that is downright frightening. It all seems so surreal.

Damn. I missed it. I hope the lowest gus winds.

I believe that MN Transplant won it. Out my way, about 5 miles east of Dulles, it was truly the perfect storm -- lots of excitement, with a 30-second power outage and no damage whatever. The peak wind gust at Dulles was 54 mph, compared with 71 mph during the June derecho. Also, the maximum sustained wind speed there was only 39 mph, compared with 59 mph in the derecho.

I believe that MN Transplant won it. Out my way, about 5 miles east of Dulles, it was truly the perfect storm -- lots of excitement, with a 30-second power outage and no damage whatever. The peak wind gust at Dulles was 54 mph, compared with 71 mph during the June derecho. Also, the maximum sustained wind speed there was only 39 mph, compared with 59 mph in the derecho.

Unfortunately, no. My initial forecast would have won (which is in the spreadsheet), but I edited before the deadline. D'oh.

Verification results. Congrats to veteran member leesburg04 for taking top spot, MN Transplant a close second and BTJustice for rounding out the top 3.

I should have made my guesses before the last model suite because it threw me off and had me believing we were going to get pounded. Glad we didn't though. I've dealt with enough tree damage.

I'll host the first accum snow contest. Maybe we get lucky this year and have it happen in Nov. The -NAO seems like a permanent feature the last few months.

Unfortunately, no. My initial forecast would have won (which is in the spreadsheet), but I edited before the deadline. D'oh.

Aha, got sucked in by the hype, huh? But you get points for honesty -- you could have pulled an Anthony Weiner and claimed: SOMEONE HACKED MY ACCOUNT AND EDITED MY PICKS!

Verification results. Congrats to veteran member leesburg04 for taking top spot, MN Transplant a close second and BTJustice for rounding out the top 3.

While I recognize that you stated -- "Closest to the total wins it all" -- as an objective third party it seems to me that BTJustice should have been judged the winner. His predictions were better than leesburg 04's for DCA and IAD, and the same for BWI. Overall, his three individual picks deviated from the actuals by 6, 3, and 1 (total 10), whereas leesburg 04's three individual picks deviated from the actuals by 8, 12, and 1 (total 21). MN Transplant's original picks deviated from the actuals by a total of only 9, but his revised picks deviated from the actuals by 20.

While I recognize that you stated -- "Closest to the total wins it all" -- as an objective third party it seems to me that BTJustice should have been judged the winner. His predictions were better than leesburg 04's for DCA and IAD, and the same for BWI. Overall, his three individual picks deviated from the actuals by 6, 3, and 1 (total 10), whereas leesburg 04's three individual picks deviated from the actuals by 8, 12, and 1 (total 21). MN Transplant's original picks deviated from the actuals by a total of only 9, but his revised picks deviated from the actuals by 20.

I was reading this Rodney, and believe it is an excellent point. Knowing climatology and figuring out the forecast based on this storm's situation would indicate that BT deserves the win, because his overall deviation was the best. Additionally, if the contest winner was to be Leesburg, then we should've just guessed a cumulative number. I'm with you on this one.

Archived