• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Cantore tweets about "Perfect Storm"

I'm sorta confused on the references. I'm assuming it has to do with how it came together. Otherwise this one seems to have a much higher impact potential.

The perfect storm is a great analog for this event if it happens: http://en.wikipedia....1_Perfect_Storm

If pressures end up sub 950 that's going to be unbelievable considering that the "Perfect Storm" only hit 972 mb.

The perfect storm is a great analog for this event if it happens: http://en.wikipedia....1_Perfect_Storm

If pressures end up sub 950 that's going to be unbelievable considering that the "Perfect Storm" only hit 974 mb.

But it stayed considerably offshore so in that sense it seems odd to compare it publicly, at least as far as impact. Most citizens won't realize why that's the comparison.

But it stayed considerably offshore so in that sense it seems odd to compare it publicly, at least as far as impact. Most citizens won't realize why that's the comparison.

It's the only dynamical analog we have so there's gonna be big differences, I think the comparison is worth it. Kinda nuts how rare this sort of thing is, hasn't happened since the year I was born.

I'm totally out of the loop on Sandy, and I'm not sure where to post this, but I just found this tweet from Chad Meyers @ CNN after clicking the #Sandy trending tag.

chad myers@chadmyerscnn

After 26 years in TV weather and 2 years with NOAA, #Sandy may pose the greatest risk to human life that I have seen. Pls keep up.

?

I think we have a bit of sensationalism going on.

Sandy is definitely going prime time with the msm.

Headline on Bloomberg -

Worst Storm in 100 Years Seen for Northeast U.S.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-25/u-s-east-from-washington-to-nyc-at-risk-from-hurricane-sandy.html

Sandy may combine with a second storm coming out of the Midwest to create a system that would rival the New England Hurricane of 1938 in intensity, said Paul Kocin, a National Weather Service meteorologist in College Park, Maryland.

“What we’re seeing in some of our models is a storm at an intensity that we have not seen in this part of the country in the past century,” Kocin said in a telephone interview yesterday. “We’re not trying to hype it, this is what we’re seeing in some of our models. It may come in weaker.”

I think we have a bit of sensationalism going on.

A bit might be an understatement. Remember how the media reacted with Irene? They made it sound like the apocalypse was coming. The media are going to play this event up so big it will sound like the end of the world. However, this isn't related to this thread so it would be best to move to OT.

I'm totally out of the loop on Sandy, and I'm not sure where to post this, but I just found this tweet from Chad Meyers @ CNN after clicking the #Sandy trending tag.

chad myers@chadmyerscnn

After 26 years in TV weather and 2 years with NOAA, #Sandy may pose the greatest risk to human life that I have seen. Pls keep up.

?

That is perhaps the stupidest and most irresponsible statement I think I've ever seen made by a TV meteorologist.

I'm already sick of this storm. Like David just said, it reminds me of Irene-- the amount of hot air preceding it is ridiculous.

Reality check: I look at IR imagery, and I see an unraveling Cat 1 brushing the Bahamas at the end of October. Yeah, I know it's going to get baroclinically enhanced, etc. etc.-- but let's be real: we're not exactly starting with a deep or intense cyclone at this point.

That is perhaps the stupidest and most irresponsible statement I think I've ever seen made by a TV meteorologist.

I'm already sick of this storm. Like David just said, it reminds me of Irene-- the amount of hot air preceding the storm was ridiculous.

I look on IR imagery, and I see an unraveling Cat 1 brushing the Bahamas at the end of October. Yeah, I know it's going to get baroclinically enhanced, etc. etc.-- but let's be real: we;re not exactly starting with a deep or intense cyclone at this point.

The Euro has it deeper than 970 mb near Chrisfield, MD Monday nite.

It certainly will not be a pure tropical system but will be at least a strong

Tropical Storm if not low level Cat I moving toward the Appalachian Mts.

The EURO has been relatively steady for over a day now. The GFS continues

to keep the surface low well over a 100 miles to the east at landfall for the EURO

during the same period. Both models take it NW but the EURO retrogrades sooner

and more south. Nothing new in those comments other than the new EURO is out and

holds fast. The probability of Agnes-like rains into the Susquehanna River valley as

well as power failures lasting a week for tens of millions of people is on the table.

There needn't be a lot of fatalities but voting could be disrupted a week later in some locales

and the economic losses could be $5B to $15B. Could.

The Euro has it deeper than 970 mb near Chrisfield, MD Monday nite.

It certainly will not be a pure tropical system but will be at least a strong

Tropical Storm if not low level Cat I moving toward the Appalachian Mts.

The EURO has been relatively steady for over a day now. The GFS continues

to keep the surface low well over a 100 miles to the east at landfall for the EURO

during the same period. Both models take it NW but the EURO retrogrades sooner

and more south. Nothing new in those comments other than the new EURO is out and

holds fast.

And Chad Myers' tweet remains stupid and irresponsible.

The mainstream-media overreaction to this threat is disgraceful. They get more desperate for ratings every year. They'll just say anything.

With headlines like these, how on God's earth would they describe a true Hazel or 1938 setup? There would be no words, because they've used up every superlative in the dictionary to describe this piece-of-sh*t, end-of-October Cat 1 that might have some baroclinic enhancement.

Ugh. Really disappointed.

Shall we agree to hope that state and federal responses are

out ahead of the impacts?

We can agree that the responses should be proportional to the threat-- so taxpayer money isn't wasted overreacting to something that really hasn't materialized yet.

This is not Katrina and it's not Andrew-- it's possibly a large Cat 1 or nor'easter hitting the Northeast.

As a general public person, the only thing that gets people's attention is the doom and gloom we are hearing from the media. I am more informed than most of the general public so I understand the threat. However, most people only think weather is the snow storm or thunderstorm...

Think about this, if the media stated that a minor hurricane may hit the north east coast next week, do you think that the public would respond?

I have to test my disaster activation plans today. :(

Rick

Guest Imperator

I feel once the inevitable downgrade within the next 6-12 hours to a tropical storm the media hype is going to decline to a point of almost dismissing this storm. "Hurricane" is much more "sexy" to the media than tropical storm, sub tropical, extra tropical etc.

I feel once the inevitable downgrade within the next 6-12 hours to a tropical storm the media hype is going to decline to a point of almost dismissing this storm. "Hurricane" is much more "sexy" to the media than tropical storm, sub tropical, extra tropical etc.

No they won't forget it's coming, almost every news media I've seen is stressing the fact that the system is going to become extra tropical, and to continue taking it seriously.

Archived