Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Sandy/Posttrop Phase Thread For PHL Area

phlwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From HM (not marg) just a couple mins ago in SNE thread..

"The 00z GFS is alarming for my area. I'm riding this out near Trenton. The combination of sting jet prospects of upper level evaporation and steepening lower lapse rates will also make the right quadrant particularly interesting post-landfall despite the enlarging / non-tropical-like wind field. "

Looks like ray's toy could get a workout!

From JB this AM - he is not happy with the lack of official Hurricane Warnings up....."The landfall is very close to Atlantic City this evening. At the last recon, the pressure at 950 mb was 10 mb LOWER than the initialization . What the model is telling us and the cloud shot also with deeper convection wrapping around the center is that the post transition argumentd, is nonsense. This is deepening and coming in as a warm core. I am speaking the truth, nothing more, nothing less. You mean to tell me that doesnt look like a hurricane? ECMWF at 945 mb which is 27.87 is not goot enough. How the heck and a sub 960 mb lower, yet alone what this is, not be warm core after coming off tropical waters.

Though ragged the dry air is now shut off the model idea of deepening till landfall on the northwest track since warm water is in the way is the correct one. It has hit the 950 I said it would and stands a good chance of reaching 940 mb on the way in"

But all relative Tom....a heck of a lot of rain for sure - you can see the bands beginning to swing NW - I expect to lose power here by mid-afternoon. I always do....but we have an automatic generator that should kick in and save the day

Stay safe!

Paul

yep, higher winds, less rains in the philly area. south del and jerz still gonna get hit with the rain.

Our lights just flickered, so this might be it for me for a while, the 12hr GFS forecast vs the 500mb obs had more ridging northeast of us than forecast. Sandy still looks right of track (or 71W), but I would assume all things being equal, that the turn to the left will come harder. The HWRF pressure forecasts (if one goes back to previous runs) is verifying too low valid this morning.

Sandy crossing Gulf Stream now, so last ounce of tropical energy coming. I can't say I am personally highly confident as to how strong the winds will get. The 06z GFS winds got even more frightening. Some super high res model posting that I saw elsewhere suggesting 60-70mph in our local area. Regardless of the wind damage here, the NJ tidal impact with this next high tide cycle is going to be record breaking.

Good luck everyone and be safe.

Our lights just flickered, so this might be it for me for a while, the 12hr GFS forecast vs the 500mb obs had more ridging northeast of us than forecast. Sandy still looks right of track (or 71W), but I would assume all things being equal, that the turn to the left will come harder. The HWRF pressure forecasts (if one goes back to previous runs) is verifying too low valid this morning.

Sandy crossing Gulf Stream now, so last ounce of tropical energy coming. I can't say I am personally highly confident as to how strong the winds will get. The 06z GFS winds got even more frightening. Some super high res model posting that I saw elsewhere suggesting 60-70mph in our local area. Regardless of the wind damage here, the NJ tidal impact with this next high tide cycle is going to be record breaking.

Good luck everyone and be safe.

yea i saw that 6z gfs and it was scary. 117mph winds at 850, with 76-80 at 925. With the forecast bringing this a little further south we will be on the worse side wind wise.

Archived