CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Sandy/Posttrop Phase Thread For PHL Area

phlwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning all...pretty uneventful in Berks County...I am certainly not saying storm cancel or anything like that, but do we expect the high winds to read this far inland? More of an overnight thing? I see the coast is getting hammered. Are we expecting a lesser impact into PA at this point or are we still as planned? Thanks

Have a friend in the back bays in Brick NJ - current N winds blow the water out of the Bays - but water keeps piling up at the ocean. He thinks that because the storm will be south that he storm that he will have a more north wind most of time and is not worried about the bays flooding. But that ocean water has to go somewhere... I told him to move to higher ground, but he won't because of "lessons learned from Irene" - he lives on a lagoon right off of the bay. He is currently reporting no flooding in his area...

We should start seeing an increase in winds throughout the day today. The strongest being later this evening and overnight. NBC10s graphics have been indicating 50 mph + winds as we get closer to noon. I'm in Pottstown, and I fully anticipate we could see gusts up to 60mph.

Good morning all...pretty uneventful in Berks County...I am certainly not saying storm cancel or anything like that, but do we expect the high winds to read this far inland? More of an overnight thing? I see the coast is getting hammered. Are we expecting a lesser impact into PA at this point or are we still as planned? Thanks

Have a friend in the back bays in Brick NJ - current N winds blow the water out of the Bays - but water keeps piling up at the ocean. He thinks that because the storm will be south that he storm that he will have a more north wind most of time and is not worried about the bays flooding. But that ocean water has to go somewhere... I told him to move to higher ground, but he won't because of "lessons learned from Irene" - he lives on a lagoon right off of the bay. He is currently reporting no flooding in his area...

Assuming a south Jersey landfall, when Sandy's winds turn to the south, that water is only going to be driven in one place and its not good.

Strongest winds in SEPA will be between 5pm and 5am. We haven't seen anything yet here.

Our lights just flickered, so this might be it for me for a while, the 12hr GFS forecast vs the 500mb obs had more ridging northeast of us than forecast. Sandy still looks right of track (or 71W), but I would assume all things being equal, that the turn to the left will come harder. The HWRF pressure forecasts (if one goes back to previous runs) is verifying too low valid this morning.

Sandy crossing Gulf Stream now, so last ounce of tropical energy coming. I can't say I am personally highly confident as to how strong the winds will get. The 06z GFS winds got even more frightening. Some super high res model posting that I saw elsewhere suggesting 60-70mph in our local area. Regardless of the wind damage here, the NJ tidal impact with this next high tide cycle is going to be record breaking.

Per winds, does this include Monmouth?

Good luck everyone and be safe.

Unbelievable on the pressure. The turn happening. Hopefully, everyone has finalized all preparation has been made to protect life and property. The winds will be unreal, but that track and the size is what we've all worried about for years. Now we have Sandy that will be very historic. Like everyone hear on this board, I'll try to keep posting until my power goes out.

Wow, my pressure down to 29.07" !!!

Assuming a south Jersey landfall, when Sandy's winds turn to the south, that water is only going to be driven in one place and its not good.

Thank you - contacted my friend via his FB post - he is coordinating with his neighborhood for a plan to evacuate if necessary - still think he needs to get out now, but feeling better...

JB has been posting since yesterday - why no Hurricane Warning/Watch?? When was it last not a hurricane? Am i missing something here??

The NWS said that they didn't want to confuse people because they thought that Sandy would become extratropical... which it hasn't. They opted for non-tropical wind warnings. It's still a hurricane.

Archived