CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Sandy/Posttrop Phase Thread For PHL Area

phlwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a question I want to leave today to go back home to philly to watch the storm, I'm coming from pittsburgh so I have a 5 hour drive home when do you think that absolue latest time I can leave today so I have a relatively easy ride home?

I've got a question I want to leave today to go back home to philly to watch the storm, I'm coming from pittsburgh so I have a 5 hour drive home when do you think that absolue latest time I can leave today so I have a relatively easy ride home?

I'd leave now. No fun driving in the rainy dark.

My own personal plea, on FB:

"OK, serious post: Coastal flooding is ALREADY beginning at the Jersey Shore. Wind gusts are ALREADY approaching tropical storm force. Everyone must prepare NOW. If you are ordered to evacuate, GO! Don't hesitate. If you are not ordered to evacuate but are in an area that floods either due to heavy rain or coastal flooding, be prepared to get out at a moments notice, and consider voluntarily evacuating. Everyone else... make sure you have enough supplies to last through extended power outages of a week or two: Gasoline, non-perishables, water, cash. I hope that covered everything.

THIS IS THE REAL DEAL."

Define "bad". Windy? Its breezy already, but the real wind won't start til tomorrow.

Really just rain I was going to leave here at like 2 I just don't want to get on the turnpike and hit torrential rain for the last few hours of my trip.

winds bumped up again in nws forecasts. here is my pt and click forecast

Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 46. Strong and damaging winds, with a north wind 50 to 60 mph, with gusts as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between 2 and 3 inches possible.

Question (and I hope someone actually answers it). Why is it, when I look on every model map, there is a southward dip in both qpf and wind speeds over northeastern PA that lowers the "totals"? In the 950mb winds for example, the wind field is pretty symmetrical, except for NEPA where the speeds are lower. Same with qpf. There is a lower value in NEPA down toward perhaps ABE with the numbers.

Does the higher terrain of the Catskills and Poconos cause this?

Question (and I hope someone actually answers it). Why is it, when I look on every model map, there is a southward dip in both qpf and wind speeds over northeastern PA that lowers the "totals"? In the 950mb winds for example, the wind field is pretty symmetrical, except for NEPA where the speeds are lower. Same with qpf. There is a lower value in NEPA down toward perhaps ABE with the numbers.

Does the higher terrain of the Catskills and Poconos cause this?

Some of the higher terrain of the Poconos are going to be pretty close in altitude to those winds. I'm assuming the pcpn configuration has more to do with the f-gen forcing southwest of the storm (everything is skewed in the opposite direction because of the west motion).

Weren't TS winds experienced some 500 miles from the center? I thought I read that somewhere. Extremely ridiculous even if it is anywhere near that figure.

I'm still hoping the surface temps cool enough out here for us to see snow, but I'm not holding my breath. This thing would have to deepen considerably once it becomes a cold-core system.

I hate to keep coming back to the inversion issue re: high wind potential....do the mets here see this as mitigating the high wind threat or would the inversion be so strong as to completely prevent high winds til the center of sandy passes to our west? I see it coming up a bit in the NYC subforum as well...just shaking my head at the idea of massive pressure changes over a short period of time without some correspondingly high winds.

Archived