• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upcoming Indian Summer Discussion

winterwarlock

With long range models showing a bigtime warmth possible next week starting with a quick warm up on Sunday after a possible frost/freeze late Friday night and Saturday morning, looks like we could be enjoying some Indian Summer next week. Discuss.

We could use one. I miss summer already.

With long range models showing a bigtime warmth possible next week starting with a quick warm up on Sunday after a possible frost/freeze late Friday night and Saturday morning, looks like we could be enjoying some Indian Summer next week. Discuss.

Can you post the models that are showing this?

Thanks.

The 00z GEFS have a weak transient ridge at 500 mb that will give us a couple 5-10 Degree above normal days on Sunday and Monday, and should be gone by either Tuesday or Wednesday. Not a very impressive outlook at 500 mb for those wanting some serious warmth. A trough moves in right after this ridge, and a -NAO/-EPO looks to develop after that. This is a pretty strong signal for a -NAO/-EPO to form, considering that this is 10 days out, and we have 24-36 dm height anomalies associated with the positive anomalies in Greenland and into Alaska.

After this brief mild spell, it does not look like a very warm pattern by any means on the 00z GEFS.

Hour 144 showing the trough moving in after the brief mild spell:

f144.gif

The -NAO/-EPO in full swing at hour 228.

f228.gif

I don't think we can really use that definition anymore. So many areas don't get to the freezing mark until well into November or even December now. I think if the cities drop below 40 and the outlying areas get frost or near freezing and then we have temps 10 above normal for at least 2 days that would qualify. Right now average highs are in the mid and upper 60s so we'd have to hit at least 76-78, preferably 80. Then again alot of people consider 90 a heat wave in July.

Indian summer warmth doesn't happen unless we've seen freezing temperatures in the morning, which is possible for some areas Saturday morning although I'm betting most of the tristate misses out. So the warmth is basically a continuation of the never ending warmth we've experienced for nearly 2 years.

I don't think we can really use that definition anymore. So many areas don't get to the freezing mark until well into November or even December now. I think if the cities drop below 40 and the outlying areas get frost or near freezing and then we have temps 10 above normal for at least 2 days that would qualify. Right now average highs are in the mid and upper 60s so we'd have to hit at least 76-78, preferably 80. Then again alot of people consider 90 a heat wave in July.

Maybe the immediate city, but majority of folks see 32F before November.

The 00z GEFS have a weak transient ridge at 500 mb that will give us a couple 5-10 Degree above normal days on Sunday and Monday, and should be gone by either Tuesday or Wednesday. Not a very impressive outlook at 500 mb for those wanting some serious warmth. A trough moves in right after this ridge, and a -NAO/-EPO looks to develop after that. This is a pretty strong signal for a -NAO/-EPO to form, considering that this is 10 days out, and we have 24-36 dm height anomalies associated with the positive anomalies in Greenland and into Alaska.

After this brief mild spell, it does not look like a very warm pattern by any means on the 00z GEFS.

Hour 144 showing the trough moving in after the brief mild spell:

f144.gif

The -NAO/-EPO in full swing at hour 228.

f228.gif

we're not going to get that cold if the mean trof stays to our west

real Indian Summer is a warm spell after the first freeze with colors at their peak...1974 and 1975 had real indian Summers...In 1974 NYC had three morning in a row with freezing or below temperatures...November 1st was 81 degrees and the return of bugs...1975 had a 32 degree day the end of October and a 78 degree day the first week of November...

Im just hoping and praying we dont get that alaskan "kiss of death" vortex again parked there for entire winter like last year.

Ever since Feb 2011, weve had to deal with that monster.

Maybe we should all move to alaska, Fort Yukon nearly broke the record for coldest US temp last year and Anchorage had their snowiest winter on record.

Meanwhile the rest of us had to deal with an epic torch.

It doesn't look like a cold pattern with the unfavorable trough axis despite the Greenland ridging with a -NAO, -EPO and a -PNA as well, but I'm not quite buying a persistently warm pattern either. There's the Sunday-Monday surge of warmth which is followed by cooler temperatures, and although that weak trough isn't sustained, there doesn't look to be any sustained ridge building into the region behind it. My guess for this time period is at least slightly warmer than average.

Indian summer warmth doesn't happen unless we've seen freezing temperatures in the morning, which is possible for some areas Saturday morning although I'm betting most of the tristate misses out. So the warmth is basically a continuation of the never ending warmth we've experienced for nearly 2 years.

Well most of the area, except the core inner cities, got the freeze. Maybe not so much warming.

Archived