joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium/Long Range Discussion

tombo82685

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is the area still on track for a warmup next weekend thru the holiday?? Looks delayed.

It's not going to be uninterrupted and there isn't going to be a death ridge, but we're going to average out +3-5 through the rest of the month. I've just been trolling about the "torch" stuff. After Mon/Tues, I don't think we'll flirt with 70 again.

Theres some interesting trends today Im noticing for the 9-11 day period. Both the GFS & Euro ensembles showing a strong HP in SE Canada with a small trough across the east. I guess some pro mets can chime in. Im not sure if this type of pettern could produce snow across our region, but even the OP GFS at day 9-10 is showing CAD. Could be interesting for interior sections & especially interior NE. It looks like one of those odd patterns where the AO is so positive it forced high pressure around SE canada. The cold would probably be in the stale variety but if we can get a shortwave to dig it might be able to keep areas cold enough.

post-8091-0-71536400-1352601663_thumb.jp

post-8091-0-61659200-1352601682_thumb.jp

Theres some interesting trends today Im noticing for the 9-11 day period. Both the GFS & Euro ensembles showing a strong HP in SE Canada with a small trough across the east. I guess some pro mets can chime in. Im not sure if this type of pettern could produce snow across our region, but even the OP GFS at day 9-10 is showing CAD. Could be interesting for interior sections & especially interior NE. It looks like one of those odd patterns where the AO is so positive it forced high pressure around SE canada. The cold would probably be in the stale variety but if we can get a shortwave to dig it might be able to keep areas cold enough.

I'll be home, so you can basically write off any chance of snow until at least the 25th.

US National Weather Service Philadelphia/Mount Holly

Here is another look at how this upcoming winter "might" transpire with respect to snow. There was a published paper by Judah Cohen about the relationship of the October Siberian snow coverage and the arctic oscillation/north atlantic oscillation for the upcoming winter. In summary, when the snow coverage in October is above average (as it was this year) in Siberia, the tendency is for colder winters. Another tendency we see locally is for the ensuing winter to also be snowier. Since satellite data has become available in 1967 to measure snow coverage, in 44 years of record, we have found that when Eurasian (we could not isolate Siberia) was above the median half of the ensuing winters were snowier than our current average of 22.4". When it was below average coverage, that percentage of snowier than average winters was only about 18 percent. Seasonal snowfall is not a normal statistical distribution, but a gamma statistical distribution. The snowy winters (like 1995-6, 2009-10) raise the overall average, but the most likely outcome for any given winter is for slightly below average snowfall.

68297_496950367005033_937103743_n.jpg

Bastardi on Twitter just tweeted something about a possible nor easter for the Tuesday/Wednesday time frame next week.

Of course he did.

The pattern is there for some overrunning stuff. The models (especially the GFS based ones) are showing some warm conveyor wraparound stuff with a low advancing up the coast right now, but I don't buy it at this time. The H5 pattern that Highzenburg posted above is not conducive for a coastal storm.

Of course he did.

The pattern is there for some overrunning stuff. The models (especially the GFS based ones) are showing some warm conveyor wraparound stuff with a low advancing up the coast right now, but I don't buy it at this time. The H5 pattern that Highzenburg posted above is not conducive for a coastal storm.

that pattern either screams cutter to me, with the trof on the west coast coming in and the building hgts in the central plains. The high would scoot right out to sea with the limited blocking...or if its a weaker wave, it would just traverse the southern teir and go right ots off the carolinas with the sprawling high in se canada.

To me, the pattern til the thanksgiving weekend just looks normal temp wise to me. All the indices for blocking, ao,nao,pna, hover around nuetral. The mjo is in the COD, so the forcing isn't that great to change anything. Looks very zonal flow, with some warm ups and some cool downs. The last week of november first week of dec is where things may change. The nao,ao, epo are all "projected" to go negative. The mjo, as of now looks like its forecasted to emerge in phases 8-2, which is a colder pattern in the east.

that pattern either screams cutter to me, with the trof on the west coast coming in and the building hgts in the central plains. The high would scoot right out to sea with the limited blocking...or if its a weaker wave, it would just traverse the southern teir and go right ots off the carolinas with the sprawling high in se canada.

I think the latter is a reasonable solution ("scooter" out to sea) unless the high is overdone...then I could see a weak wave trying to sneak north a bit.

I put "scooter" in quotes as I don't think the storm (if one develops) moves quickly. the 500 high kinda traps it in the western atlantic since there's no kicker.

not digging this set up at all:

yhu5evem.jpg

with the GOA low, which i would assume is a downstream effect of the Aleutian Ridging, its keeping the pac jet blasting into our area:

which is duly noted in the PNA chart from the CPC

ape7esys.jpg

Without any ridging towards Greenland, the flow never really buckles over the conus. Sure, we have a cutoff low modeled in the medium range, but thats due the ridging over Central, Western Canada.

Whether or not this is a sign of things to come i'm not sure. The MJO isnt going to be any help whatsoever.

uqy3yjaq.jpg

This makes me think that Aleutian Ridge has some staying power, as well as the GOA low. And as long as the NAO and AO are positive-neutral, expect a zonal flow across the Eastern CONUS.

Looking ahead, There is still some hope. The GFS ensembles try to start to develop a cross polar flow with the Aleutian Ridge heading north into the Arctic, as well as some type (east or west) based -NAO building. Tough to say if it's a pseudo N.ATL ridge, or a true Greenland block.

(300hr on the GEFS)

uperynej.jpg

AT this time, I know the outlook from a majority of the people in the wx community were thinking thanksgiving for a pattern change. However, i think more or less, the models are going away from that, and making it more of a rogue storm threat. If we are to see a shift in the current pattern, I'm thinking its more towards the beginning of DEC timeframe. The good news is the NH and NA snowpack are looking great, due to the current pattern.

Archived