• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium/Long Range Discussion

tombo82685

The Nogaps was pretty much in tandem with the Euro on Sandy, is it back to normal? I see the "gap" between the Euro (and UKMET) and the NOAM models has not narrowed today. Its almost a geographical Sandy repeat with respect to the distance differences.

Total model anthropomorphism here, but I'm figuring that since this is a pure mid-latitude setup, the NOGAPS is going to take its normal seat near the back of the classroom. What concerns me is that what it's progging is what it usually does with coastal storms in the medium range.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be any freshwater flooding there (though some of the better hydro guys can feel free to correct me). This isn't all that deep (~995mb), so I doubt there would be much of a surge, either, though obviously any surge is bad right now.

The Euro solution timing of strongest winds close to the higher of the two astronomical tides of the day would be problematical. "As is" it would bring advisory level winds to the coast.

I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be any freshwater flooding there (though some of the better hydro guys can feel free to correct me). This isn't all that deep (~995mb), so I doubt there would be much of a surge, either, though obviously any surge is bad right now.

Yeah, you're probably talking a couple feet at the worst, but I'm not the expert. Still, with defenses lowered, the impact might be greater than it otherwise would.

I think the biggest issue we'll have to combat is the hysteria/hype. I think Tony mentioned this seems like a pretty garden-variety nor'easter, and it'll be a challenge to focus people on that fact so soon after Sandy.

Total model anthropomorphism here, but I'm figuring that since this is a pure mid-latitude setup, the NOGAPS is going to take its normal seat near the back of the classroom. What concerns me is that what it's progging is what it usually does with coastal storms in the medium range.

Yeah and the GFS ensembles are not too much help today in offering different camps.

Still have issues with the internet, therefore my office cannot post the briefing package to our homepage. A briefing package regarding next weeks nor'easter has been issued and is located at this link,

http://dema.delaware.gov/documents/NWS_Weather_Briefing.pdf

Thank you for posting. I have been forwarding these along to local Emergency Management folks in the southern/western limits of the Upton forecast area to supplement the information they are receiving directly from that office.

Still have issues with the internet, therefore my office cannot post the briefing package to our homepage. A briefing package regarding next weeks nor'easter has been issued and is located at this link,

http://dema.delaware.gov/documents/NWS_Weather_Briefing.pdf

Nice. Anyone following the previous briefings should notice the difference in tone and pay attention but not panic.

I think Tony mentioned this seems like a pretty garden-variety nor'easter, and it'll be a challenge to focus people on that fact so soon after Sandy.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen that term used, but in light of Sandy's strength, I suppose it would seem that way. Anyway, one has to wonder how much impact even a garden variety nor'easter would have on those communities who've lost their protection (dunes, sloped beaches, sea walls, etc).

I think this is the first time I've ever seen that term used, but in light of Sandy's strength, I suppose it would seem that way. Anyway, one has to wonder how much impact even a garden variety nor'easter would have on those communities who've lost their protection (dunes, sloped beaches, sea walls, etc).

I would imagine it would be somewhat like simply pouring a glass of water across your kitchen countertop. Not good for those folks for sure. Also, I was thinking about a video I saw on Fox 29 or one of those morning shows where the reporter was talking about how in some of the areas the clean up crews had just bulldozed the sand to either side of the roads (kind of similar to what you would do with snow, except as the reporter pointed out, "sand don't melt"). Can't imagine what would happen once water gets into these, now man-made channels, and where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

If the present Euro solution comes to fruition, it will cause set backs. The Euro has trended deeper and slower since I planted the garden. Even under normal circumstances the present solution could cause moderate tidal flooding.

If the present Euro solution comes to fruition, it will cause set backs. The Euro has trended deeper and slower since I planted the garden. Even under normal circumstances the present solution could cause moderate tidal flooding.

The last two Euro runs certainly aim to make the "garden variety" discussion moot. Slow moving and sub 990 is a heck of a vegetable.

The ensembles are east of the op, but not by too much. The 06Z GEFS mean is also east of the op. There's still hope for a miss.

http://dema.delaware...er_Briefing.pdf

Mike, thanks for posting. I don't know if these briefings are somehwat new to the NWS offices, but I like them a lot. Very succinct about the valuable takeaways. I hope this remains a feature for future events. I like the detailed discos, but most people would find them too challenging to read and understand at times.

Again thanks you very much Mt Holly Mets!!! I have gotten positive feedback from friends on FB from these updates...some of whom are still without power/internet and are using their phones as their primary info resource.

Question for quantifying the potential impact of this weeks storm? Someone asked me if this Noreaster is comparable to an "aftershock" after a major earthquake in terms of impact of this storm as related to Sandy? A lot of hype/fear mixed with concern and a genuine desire to begin taking common sense preparedness action amongst people in these areas thanks again and thanks for future info.

Again thanks you very much Mt Holly Mets!!! I have gotten positive feedback from friends on FB from these updates...some of whom are still without power/internet and are using their phones as their primary info resource.

Question for quantifying the potential impact of this weeks storm? Someone asked me if this Noreaster is comparable to an "aftershock" after a major earthquake in terms of impact of this storm as related to Sandy? A lot of hype/fear mixed with concern and a genuine desire to begin taking common sense preparedness action amongst people in these areas thanks again and thanks for future info.

I agree with Ray. Its a very good analogy, an aftershock.

EC has sub-988 off the Delmarva. Too warm for anything but rain except far NW (Pocs and NW NJ) but definitely a coastal flood threat.

the euro off wunderground snow maps shows snow from lns to abe points north and west. Not sure how accurate those maps are. But looking at my 2m temps on the euro its in the 30s from the del river west. 850s are just north and west of the city and slowly creep west and north through the storm. Thicknesses are 540-546 so sounds like their might be a warm layer in their.

Per JB this AM

"I remember like yesterday the Nov 11-12 1968 storm that exploded north over ACY with hurricane winds and 2 feet of snow on its western side. While that is the extreme case, what is reasonable is to believe that a major noreaster is on the way and with coastal sites stripped bare of protection,a 2-4 foot push of water would be a major problem. In addition the lack of heat and electricity into areas where a howling gale, temps in the upper 30s to 40s and rain and then perhaps wet snow occurs, means that there is true danger to people caught in this without proper protection. It would be a major storm anyway, but one that most people would just say, "yah" we had a bad noreaster, but now it could be one that would pile on an already bad situation. In addition this willl deliver a snowstorm on its western side, and the snow may get all the way to the coast before its done"

Per JB this AM

"I remember like yesterday the Nov 11-12 1968 storm that exploded north over ACY with hurricane winds and 2 feet of snow on its western side. While that is the extreme case, what is reasonable is to believe that a major noreaster is on the way and with coastal sites stripped bare of protection,a 2-4 foot push of water would be a major problem. In addition the lack of heat and electricity into areas where a howling gale, temps in the upper 30s to 40s and rain and then perhaps wet snow occurs, means that there is true danger to people caught in this without proper protection. It would be a major storm anyway, but one that most people would just say, "yah" we had a bad noreaster, but now it could be one that would pile on an already bad situation. In addition this willl deliver a snowstorm on its western side, and the snow may get all the way to the coast before its done"

TTN had 0.5" of snow in that one. ABE had 6.4". West Chester had 1.5".

Archived