• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Medium/Long Range Discussion

tombo82685

Pretty confident about Halloween week averaging cooler than normal around us. A couple of players as you have stated are coming into place.

First full week of November EC's MJO outlook is better for sustained cold. GFS doesn't look as promising rolling it forward and we look like we are entering a down cycle to the torquing for now.

yea the week of halloween looks pretty chilly which corresponds with the mjo phase. Question is where does it head after phase 2? COD or phase 3 would certainly argue which is supported by the mtn torque of warmer temps.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAEFS has turned us cooler than normal. Nuff said.

post-623-0-56171600-1350770470_thumb.png

Yeah they've been dead on w/ the warmth over the past 12-18 months. Looks like a virtual lock we see a pretty nice cold outbreak the last few days of Oct into early Nov w/ the MJO forcing into phase 2 and extreme high latitude blocking. Will be interesting to see what happens once into November.

Yeah they've been dead on w/ the warmth over the past 12-18 months. Looks like a virtual lock we see a pretty nice cold outbreak the last few days of Oct into early Nov w/ the MJO forcing into phase 2 and extreme high latitude blocking. Will be interesting to see what happens once into November.

They were pretty good the previous previous winter with the cold too.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no signs of the dreaded Alaskan PV of doom showing up. Always a good sign. Looks like the NAO in the western region goes neutral to slightly pos for a bit though.

Not to enthused for the upcoming threat. Ridging looks solid, but the trough stays fairly progressive.

nope...I think this was written after the 12z GFS, but before the Euro...

http://usnews.nbcnew...e-as-sandy?lite

The headline made me chuckle a little "Nor'easter possible along East Coast next week, but not as severe as Sandy"....yeah no kidding but it won't take much in the hardest hit areas to hinder recovery efforts. I guess we will see what happens.

It looks like their could be a big dump of cold air in about a week or so for the US. Pretty strong mtn torque event occurring right now. Wild card is if the mjo can swing out of the COD into phase 8, that would teleconnect to a colder east coast. Though i think phase 6/7 entrance makes sense, then it goes into phase 8. Which would correlate to a dump into north central plains/rockies region then comes east.

on the upcoming potential noreaster, i dont like how flat the ridge out west is. Just doesnt argue for a huge amplifying trof that develops a major storm and sends it up the east coast. I think a storm develops but i dont see it coming up the whole coast, maybe a southern slider out or coming up to delmarva. Especially, with a kicker, the storm dropping south into the pac nw argues for the ridge to progressively move east.

It looks like their could be a big dump of cold air in about a week or so for the US. Pretty strong mtn torque event occurring right now. Wild card is if the mjo can swing out of the COD into phase 8, that would teleconnect to a colder east coast. Though i think phase 6/7 entrance makes sense, then it goes into phase 8. Which would correlate to a dump into north central plains/rockies region then comes east.

The weird thing is that the 6-10 and 8-12 day analogs are above normal. Hope the cold pans out.

Archived