• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium/Long Range Discussion

tombo82685

I'd be a great sales person if I went into the NE forum and told them to check out the great disco going on in here! (We have some good disco, just not a lot).

New England is definitely the land of weather weenies, and it shows more than just in the conversation on the NE forum. Just for fun, I counted the CWOP stations in Massachusetts... 156. New Jersey only has 114. Considering also the population difference, and the ratio of CWOP stations to residents is about double in Massachusetts as compared to New Jersey.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be a great sales person if I went into the NE forum and told them to check out the great disco going on in here! (We have some good disco, just not a lot).

Keeping things on topic, starting to get a robust signal for the -NAO we've been banking (wishing) for showing up the GEFS.

etereraj.jpg

It's a while out, but slowly been showing up more on more on the long range.

the -nao looks nice, but thats not a big coastal storm pattern. The goa low is a killer right there no ridging over the west which you need. Its pretty much a zonal flow, but probably some cold to boot. That pattern looks more like west to east bowling balls.

the -nao looks nice, but thats not a big coastal storm pattern. The goa low is a killer right there no ridging over the west which you need. Its pretty much a zonal flow, but probably some cold to boot. That pattern looks more like west to east bowling balls.

ehh, i was more or less pointing out the signal for a developing -NAO. We'll see how the Pacific looks once/if we get the NAO set up.

edit* still not liking how the GOA low sits. perhaps if we can get it to retrograde west a bit we'd be in better shape. But, as we've seen the last few winters, a good -NAO can offset a less than stellar pacific.

Speaking of which, Brett Anderson of Accuwx had this to say about the weeklies. Should make Adam very happy.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/signs-of-a-cold-start-to-december-in-the-east/1619732

"The new weekly ECMWF model just came in and it shows very cold air over the western half of Canada shifting south and east and expanding into eastern Canada (not Atlantic Canada) and the eastern U.S. by the second week of December as the North Atlantic Oscillation shifts back into a negative phase. A second indicator, the MJO, also suggests a cold pattern into eastern North America starting around the 5th."

Good article to read.

Euro weeklies have -EPO/+PNA/-NAO for Week 3. Those GEFS MJO forecasts are pretty much garbage, fwiw.

It sort of looks like we’re not going to have any real potential until at least mid-December. For some reason, I never really think about winter getting serious(other than cold) in this area until after Christmas. When we do get a major snowstorm in December, it subjectively feels like that is a great indicator for the rest of the winter. I’m thinking of 1960-61 (showing my age), 2009-10 and 2010-11. We had a great storm on Christmas Eve in 1966, but I can’t remember how the winter turned out.

My thoughts into December.

*Mild through Black Friday -- could hit 60 on a day or two for a high -- Turkey Day and Black Friday might be the most likely candidates.

*Cool shot next Saturday through Monday. 40's for highs (yawn).

*Transition storm timing 28-29th -- rainy.

*Cold into December. Maybe a clipper on 3rd?

My thoughts into December.

*Mild through Black Friday -- could hit 60 on a day or two for a high -- Turkey Day and Black Friday might be the most likely candidates.

*Cool shot next Saturday through Monday. 40's for highs (yawn).

*Transition storm timing 28-29th -- rainy.

*Cold into December. Maybe a clipper on 3rd?

The pattern after the transition is going to be conducive to meridional moving storms, not clippers.

Here's a composite of H5 patterns for years in the last -PDO decadal phase(and the new one) that featured a -PNA, -AO, and -NAO overall for DJF. The resultant years that fit were: 1958-59, 1961-62, 1967-68, and 2008-09, all neutral ENSO winter seasons as well. Those four winters were quite cold, but again, going along with the dry theme, rather hit and miss on the snowfall events. Not saying that'll happen this year. However, the pattern depicted on D 10+ guidance looks fairly similar to these 4 years regarding the Aleutian ridge/-EPO connection across the top to west based -NAO. Underneath you've got a belt of below normal heights from the PAC NW east to the NE US. These are the type of patterns that can yield bitter cold from coast to coast given the -PNA/-NAO and AK ridging. However, without the Western US ridging, you also tend to lack bigger snowfalls on the east coast. Food for thought.

DJF H5 composite of years w/ -PNA/-AO/-NAO/-EPO:

2zj99tx.jpg

Breaking them down by year.

1958-59

21o4llj.jpg

1961-62

bgp9b6.jpg

1967-68

5khfmp.jpg

2008-09

2ibdztk.jpg

Archived