Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane of 1938: 74 Years Ago Today

Quincy

C. Storm Surge

The Great New England Hurricane of 1938 produced the greatest storm tides this century in southern New England. The storm tide reached 19.01 feet (MLLW) at the State Street Station Dock on the upper part of Narragansett Bay during the 1938 Hurricane, associated with a 13.7 foot storm surge. Hurricane Carol brought a slightly higher storm surge, 14.4 feet over the upper portions of Narragansett Bay, but produced a slightly lower storm tide of 17.51 feet (MLLW), due to its arrival shortly after high tide.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C. Storm Surge

The Great New England Hurricane of 1938 produced the greatest storm tides this century in southern New England. The storm tide reached 19.01 feet (MLLW) at the State Street Station Dock on the upper part of Narragansett Bay during the 1938 Hurricane, associated with a 13.7 foot storm surge. Hurricane Carol brought a slightly higher storm surge, 14.4 feet over the upper portions of Narragansett Bay, but produced a slightly lower storm tide of 17.51 feet (MLLW), due to its arrival shortly after high tide.

Ginxy I've seen a few places that the estimated surge around New London was nearly 20 feet which is remarkable.

Ginxy I've seen a few places that the estimated surge around New London was nearly 20 feet which is remarkable.

When I worked at Harris Graphics/Cottrells on the Pawcatuck River in Ct there was a mark on this out building that marked the high water level and it said 16 feet 6 inches above the river. When they tore that out building down I remember thinking, there goes a lot of history.Of course some of that was fresh water flood water but that far inland was an unreal surge up river.

When I worked at Harris Graphics/Cottrells on the Pawcatuck River in Ct there was a mark on this out building that marked the high water level and it said 16 feet 6 inches above the river. When they tore that out building down I remember thinking, there goes a lot of history.Of course some of that was fresh water flood water but that far inland was an unreal surge up river.

The surge on the Thames up to Norwich too.

CT River flooding up through Essex/Hamburg Cove was also devastating and that was nearly all surge.

yea I know, Many many years ago I saw an old video from a home in Weekapaug on the ocean on a very high spot where they stayed the entire storm, wish I knew where that video was. On the you tube clips you get to see pieces of the video. The house was fine and is still here,

The pictures from towns like Guilford and Madison are hard to believe. The winds in the eyewall in the NE quad must have been ferocious.

I went back looking through some old hourly obs, but data was sparse then. Anyways...here are the best obs I could find.

BOS (Logan):

9/22 00z...S 50mph sustained...992.9mb

ACK:

9/22 00z: S 38mph sustained...1001.1mb

BTV (intl):

9/22 13z: SSE 33mph sustained

BTV (old site):

9/22 6z: 30mph sustained...992.9mb

HFD:

9/21 20z: ENE 39mph sustained...974.6mb

9/21 21z: no ob except for 959.0mb

9/21 22z: SW 47mph sustained...961.7mb

PVD:

9/21 20z: ESE 40mph sustained...989.2mb

9/21 21z: ESE 81mph sustained...982.1mb

9/21 22z: ESE 101mph sustained... 984.4mb

9/21 23z: SSW 60mph sustained...993.9mb

9/22 00z: S 40mph sustained...995.3mb

CON:

9/21 21z: SE 45mph sustained...988.1mb

Mitchel Field, NY:

9/21 19z: NE 52mph sustained...967.8mb

HFD and PVD had the most thorough (and impressive) hourly data sets for those days that I could find.

I went back looking through some old hourly obs, but data was sparse then. Anyways...here are the best obs I could find.

BOS (Logan):

9/22 00z...S 50mph sustained...992.9mb

ACK:

9/22 00z: S 38mph sustained...1001.1mb

BTV (intl):

9/22 13z: SSE 33mph sustained

BTV (old site):

9/22 6z: 30mph sustained...992.9mb

HFD:

9/21 20z: ENE 39mph sustained...974.6mb

9/21 21z: no ob except for 959.0mb

9/21 22z: SW 47mph sustained...961.7mb

PVD:

9/21 20z: ESE 40mph sustained...989.2mb

9/21 21z: ESE 81mph sustained...982.1mb

9/21 22z: ESE 101mph sustained... 984.4mb

9/21 23z: SSW 60mph sustained...993.9mb

9/22 00z: S 40mph sustained...995.3mb

CON:

9/21 21z: SE 45mph sustained...988.1mb

Mitchel Field, NY:

9/21 19z: NE 52mph sustained...967.8mb

HFD and PVD had the most thorough (and impressive) hourly data sets for those days that I could find.

did they use 2 cup Anemometers then?

"Isaac's Storm" (Erik Larson), is a docudrama novel about the Great Galveston Disaster of 1900. Spoken in 1st person it wonderfully describes the cat 4 hurricane also catching people without warning. Isaac Monroe Cline had an epiphany about what was about to happen, but only mere hours before landfall - i.e., too late. He rode his horse screaming in vein, up and down the causeways along the shores, pleading with people to flee inland - few to none heeded his warning. It was partially his fault - he was none committal to any bad weather the day(s) before, but then realized within hours of landfall - oops.

One passage in the book describes kids frolicking in the warm splash over from waves incurring along the bases of seawalls - this was like 2 or 3 hours before that same area was under a 20 foot mixture of storm surge and flotsam, while winds made voices inaudible.

I saw a TV special about this hurricane where it was stated that the Weather Bureau refused to take responsibility for the deaths and massive destruction caused in part by the lack of hurricane warnings preceeding the storm, by stating that New Englander's where not "hurricane savy" and would not have believed in a warning for such an intense storm anyway.

I saw a TV special about this hurricane where it was stated that the Weather Bureau refused to take responsibility for the deaths and massive destruction caused in part by the lack of hurricane warnings preceeding the storm, by stating that New Englander's where not "hurricane savy" and would not have believed in a warning for such an intense storm anyway.

Probably true

Archived