Thunderstorms

High: 76 °F

TUESDAY

NIGHT

ntsra100.png

Severe

Thunderstorms

Low: 60 °F

There is a 100% chance you will have severe weather. The severe weather model must have gotten a substantial upgrade for there to be such confidence in that forecast.

Look at that dry slot nosing out of Alabama! Unreal. :axe:

FFC thinks it will fill in...

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED AVIATION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

808 PM EDT MON SEP 17 2012

.SHORT TERM /TONIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT/...

MORE WIDESPREAD PRECIPITATION HAS BEEN SLOW TO MATERIALIZE ACROSS

THE FORECAST AREA TODAY WITH SCATTERED...MAINLY DIURNAL...CONVECTION

CURRENTLY. HEAVIER...MORE WIDESPREAD PRECIPITATION WILL SPREAD NORTH

AND EAST OUT OF THE NORTHERN GULF OF MEXICO OVERNIGHT AS SURFACE LOW

PRESSURE STRENGTHENS ALONG AN APPROACHING COLD FRONT. STRONG

SOUTHWESTERLY UPPER FLOW TONIGHT AHEAD OF THE SHORT WAVE LIFTING OUT

OF EAST TEXAS AIDS STORM DEVELOPMENT. INSTABILITY REMAINS MARGINAL

OVERNIGHT BUT SHEAR CONTINUES TO BE SOMEWHAT WORRISOME. GFS SHOWING

40-45KT 850 WINDS STREAMING NORTHEAST ACROSS THE STATE TONIGHT. BEST

SHEAR COINCIDES WITH THE LOWEST INSTABILITY AND THE DEEPEST COOL

POOL AT THE SURFACE SO CHANCES FOR SEVERE WEATHER BEING REALIZED AT

THE SURFACE REMAIN SLIGHT CHANCE. 12Z MODEL RUNS ARE NOT AS

AGGRESSIVE WITH THE SECONDARY SURFACE LOW DEVELOPMENT ALONG THE COLD

FRONT LATE TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY SO RAIN CHANCES SHOULD DROP OFF

QUICKLY LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING.

I have to say, I really don't get the Tornado watch.....looks like we'll be lucky to get some showers tonight.

I am hoping this is a situation where I discover why I am not a MET, but we have been so "unlucky" in the qpf department as of late.

We have had some good showers in the mighty big town of Dacula, enough to rain ball games out, but nothing like Tennessee has gotten. They have been in the money up there.

There is a 100% chance you will have severe weather. The severe weather model must have gotten a substantial upgrade for there to be such confidence in that forecast.

lol That's how the NWS puts it out. Obviously to us it means 100% chance of rain but Facebook is currently full of posts about guaranteed severe weather here tomorrow. Some parents are talking about keeping their kids home from school.

This seems to be more of a heavy rain event for some areas with the possibility of a few brief spinups. Not sure if the phase has occured yet, or soon.. but should see increase in cell development as soon as things get going with that. Issuing the tornado watch may have been a bit pre-mature, but it's always great to let the public know before they get to sleep for the night since a lot of the action will happen after bed time for a lot of people in GA/SC/NC.

lol That's how the NWS puts it out. Obviously to us it means 100% chance of rain but Facebook is currently full of posts about guaranteed severe weather here tomorrow. Some parents are talking about keeping their kids home from school.

Haha! I guess it's sort of a catch 22 when it comes to that particular graphic coinciding with a 100% chance of rain/storms. I've seen it as high as 80% before but not 100%.

They should probably just use T-Storms instead of Severe Storms in the graphic and then say the severe stuff in the text forecasts below. But that brings up the whole argument about playing to the lowest common denominator. Anyway, WE know what it really means and that's good enough for me.

HAHA! Nothing changes in this part of the country with these lows... The dry slot is set to move through, convection near the Gulf of Mexico robbed us of our moisture and we'll be lucky to pick up 0.5" out of this! haha

In all seriousness though, I was never expecting that much rain for areas south of Atlanta. It was always going to be where the warm front set up shop was going to get the most rain.

I was surprised SPC issued a tornado watch for much of Georgia. None of the values, besides shear, jumped out at me and the lifting mechanism was still well to the west... Oh well, I informed my viewers/friends on facebook of what I was thinking and told them to be more weather aware tomorrow morning! Yeah... Tomorrow morning looks to be a more interesting, although that's not hard to do after the dud that was this tor watch, for us around sunrise as the second line comes through. It could spin up a tornado but the chances, locally, are much less than what I'm expecting along the Mid-Atlantic. Of course, that threat hinges on getting just a bit more sunshine and instability to get things going which did happen some today. Even then, I anticipate this to be more of a wind event, if anything, with a brief, spin-up tornado possible.

Remember this storm track and what happened, because it could occur again this winter!

Anyone with thoughts about NC's chances tomorrow AM-lunchtime? NC basically has the best chance out of the SE for a tornado to spin up, but the values I'm seeing so far aren't too convincing, although it is September so I should count my blessings. RAP looks to have more instability overall, if only it can be extrapolated past 18hrs...I'm bad at this. Anyone?

Haha! I guess it's sort of a catch 22 when it comes to that particular graphic coinciding with a 100% chance of rain/storms. I've seen it as high as 80% before but not 100%.

They should probably just use T-Storms instead of Severe Storms in the graphic and then say the severe stuff in the text forecasts below. But that brings up the whole argument about playing to the lowest common denominator. Anyway, WE know what it really means and that's good enough for me.

Interestingly the text forecast is rather benign in comparison.

Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some storms could be severe, with damaging winds. High near 76

HAHA! Nothing changes in this part of the country with these lows... The dry slot is set to move through, convection near the Gulf of Mexico robbed us of our moisture and we'll be lucky to pick up 0.5" out of this! haha

You got that right, unbelievable, chalk up one more sorry excuse for severe weather this year. Seems like SPC should institute wording during some of their outlooks that may read something like.......".....but given that the system is nearing the interior southeast, especially Georgia, nothing likely is to come of this."

You got that right, unbelievable, chalk up one more sorry excuse for severe weather this year. Seems like SPC should institute wording during some of their outlooks that may read something like.......".....but given that the system is nearing the interior southeast, especially Georgia, nothing likely is to come of this."

Let's not have any snowstorm2011 posts in here.

Archived