joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September banter/boredom thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was the best of days, it was the worst of days yesterday. Just after dawn, the northern Presidentials were basking in sunlight. Over Mount Washington, however, the weather was much different. Fog and drizzle were accompanied by winds gusting to over 50 mph. Unfortunately, the winds were southerly and I was walking directly into it. Drizzle at 50mph is a lot like staring into a shower faucet.

But before that misery it was nice on the northern peaks. There's a shot from atop Mt Clay looking towards the maelstrom on MWN - the summit tower can be seen barely poking out of the clouds.

post-254-0-72176000-1348396524_thumb.jpg

As I drew nearer, I could start to feel the drizzle. Looking behind me I could see a "drizzle-bow".

post-254-0-74838500-1348396551_thumb.jpg

Conditions for me rapidly deteriorated after that point - was getting completely soaked so I had to stash the camera. I forged ahead to the MWN summit building to have a snack and get a respite from the wind and drizzle. My backpack and sweat towel left puddles in the chairs. lol. After about 90 minutes the fog started to lift, so I went back to the Great Gulf headwall and snapped some pics.

post-254-0-36113500-1348396602_thumb.jpg

After I went back around to Washington's south side, the winds decreased substantially and it turned into an LL five-sun BSE day. This is a shot from the Lakes of the Clouds looking towards Mt Washington.

post-254-0-84042900-1348396694_thumb.jpg

I continued south to Mt Eisenhower, where I made my descent to my car. What a fantastic day! My next goal is to spend a day from sunrise to sunset above treeline. The early forecast for next Saturday is promising, hopefully it holds.

Many more pics can be seen at

Archived