amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
September banter/boredom thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is that thread that I can't click on on the New England listing?

Also Kev, do you live up near that cell tower that you can see from the Big Y, or elsewhere? That looks like the highest spot up that way

Yes I'm near that tower. that's one hilltop over on Bald Hill which is a little under 1100 feet and has a great view to the east

Some signs near October 2...give or take, there could be a good storm on the east coast. We are far out in la la land obviously, but the pattern possibly shuffles to allow some energy coming out of Canada to interact with a low developing off the East Coast. Some models offer this in some shape or form. Thought it looked "interesting" anyways.

Snow

thanks....poor mixing is something i don't fully understand but is one thing that came to mind.

wonder if the "rock pile" sees accumulating snow on monday afternoon with the cold pool overhead.....talking like 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so

Generally speaking, higher sun angle = more insolation = more sfc heating. The rising thermals/parcels can climb to higher heights allowing for the low level fully-mixed height to rise. In the winter the insolation is lower and snow pack limits sfc heating so this mixing is shallow. So the higher your mixing height the warmer your 2m temps will be as you mix down air dry adiabtically with a warmer potential (theta) temp. Other things go into vertical mixing, but this is the rule for most fair weather days. In the spring and early summer we can often mix up to 800-850mb whereas in winter it can be closer to 900mb.

Generally speaking, higher sun angle = more insolation = more sfc heating. The rising thermals/parcels can climb to higher heights allowing for the low level fully-mixed height to rise. In the winter the insolation is lower and snow pack limits sfc heating so this mixing is shallow. So the higher your mixing height the warmer your 2m temps will be as you mix down air dry adiabtically with a warmer potential (theta) temp. Other things go into vertical mixing, but this is the rule for most fair weather days. In the spring and early summer we can often mix up to 800-850mb whereas in winter it can be closer to 900mb.

Except where you are, you mix to 985mb.

Except where you are, you mix to 985mb.

lol...then you have SLK which can't even mix out sometimes.

Sidenote...I always figured Waterville Valley would get some ridic radiational cooling given their surrounding topography...Bartlett too. I've never been able to find any wx station data near the base though. Someone needs to setup a Davis in town.

lol...then you have SLK which can't even mix out sometimes.

Sidenote...I always figured Waterville Valley would get some ridic radiational cooling given their surrounding topography...Bartlett too. I've never been able to find any wx station data near the base though. Someone needs to setup a Davis in town.

I stayed in Bartlett one night back in Jan '94. It was -30F. Couldn't start the car until it warmed up to 0F...lol.

I was surprised we didnt get warmer today. I thought the coast would hit upper 70s at least. think.gif

Aside from the chance of rain, I think the more interesting story is the very Cool nights coming up...

This is from latest NAM. Has 30s getting into areas of CT Sunday night.

Location ....... Monday Lows... Tuesday Lows

WINDSOR LOCKS ..... 42° ........... 43°

BRIDGEPORT ........... 51° ........... 53°

DANBURY ............... 39° ............. 41°

GROTON ................ 44° ............. 47°

HARTFORD ............. 45° ............ 47°

NEW HAVEN ........... 45° ............. 49°

WILLIMANTIC ......... 39° ............. 41°

MERIDEN ............... 41° ............. 44°

OXFORD ................ 40° ........... 45°

Archived