• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
LWX NWS Open house

Avdave

We should go kidnap Katie and bring her along!

Nah....that sounds more like a thing they do in Florida. Not here ;-)
Due to our location, open houses have proven to be quite an issue logistically. However, we do conduct office tours for small groups by request.

http://www.erh.noaa....OUR/tourreq.php

Logistics are harder at the tiny tiny little Wakefield Municipal Airport versus Dulles "freaking" International Airport. That sounds weird. Not that I don't believe you, just sounds weird. (I've been to a few offices, so I know it isn't always about the size [giggiddy]).

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave,

For those of us going who haven't taken the Skywarn Basics class, it's being offered on Sunday at 2pm. Anyone interested in taking the class while we're there?

This course is a prerequisite for all other courses. Basics I is a good general overview of severe weather for the general public. Upon completion of the course, you will be registered in the program by the NWS. You will receive a spotter code from the NWS within 6 weeks.

Training in Basics I includes:

The basic organization of the National Weather Service

• The role and importance f the Skywarn spotter
  • NWS Products and the Watch/Warning/Advisory system
  • Thunderstorms
  • Thunderstorm threats:
  • Lightning
  • Flooding
  • Hail
  • Tornadoes
  • Downbursts
  • How to report vital inf t the NWS
  • The role of amateur short-wave (HAM) radio in the Spotter Program

I gotta bail. My dad is having a heart procedure that was supposed to be last Fri but he had a respiratory infection so they put it off till the beginning of next week... so I'm going to FL on Sat. CWG will be there tho, so say hello!

I gotta bail. My dad is having a heart procedure that was supposed to be last Fri but he had a respiratory infection so they put it off till the beginning of next week... so I'm going to FL on Sat. CWG will be there tho, so say hello!

Hope it goes well :hug:

Damn it, that sucks, was hoping to see you out there. Hope all goes well with your dad though.

Is the whole crew outside of you and Matt going to be there?

Nah....that sounds more like a thing they do in Florida. Not here ;-)

Logistics are harder at the tiny tiny little Wakefield Municipal Airport versus Dulles "freaking" International Airport. That sounds weird. Not that I don't believe you, just sounds weird. (I've been to a few offices, so I know it isn't always about the size [giggiddy]).

Unfortunately, our parking lot can only fit about 10-15 people at a time. Since there is very little room for parking on grass, and with nothing but 460 to park on...that leaves very few options. We've looked into parking at the airport (about 1/4 mi. east of us) but haven't gotten too far with that. The smaller SKYWARN sessions we have at the office and the private office tours by reservation have worked well thus far for us.

Unfortunately, our parking lot can only fit about 10-15 people at a time. Since there is very little room for parking on grass, and with nothing but 460 to park on...that leaves very few options. We've looked into parking at the airport (about 1/4 mi. east of us) but haven't gotten too far with that. The smaller SKYWARN sessions we have at the office and the private office tours by reservation have worked well thus far for us.

That sucks. Eventually I wanted to visit before moving out of the region, to get lots of stock video in and around Wakefield. I am going to be collecting as many NWS offices as possible (for for actual business, but also because I just want to be silly and collect them all). :weenie:

That sucks. Eventually I wanted to visit before moving out of the region, to get lots of stock video in and around Wakefield. I am going to be collecting as many NWS offices as possible (for for actual business, but also because I just want to be silly and collect them all). :weenie:

Hey, let me know if you head up this way. I'll do my best to help you out. No guarantees on whether there will be snow on the ground if you come up during the winter...we're in the "tropics" section of SNE! :whistle:

--Turtle

Hey, let me know if you head up this way. I'll do my best to help you out. No guarantees on whether there will be snow on the ground if you come up during the winter...we're in the "tropics" section of SNE! :whistle:

--Turtle

Absolutely will take you up on that if I can fit in a trip. I really want to hit up Mt. Washington this winter. I have to see what my options are there yet. I doubt the Jeep will be enough. Should handle that tropical area find though. ;-)

I can't make it on Sunday but will be there tomorrow. Anyone else planning on stopping by? I've also signed up for the Skywarn basics class, which is something I've wanted to take for a while.

Should be fun

Too bad you can't make it Sunday, with the exception of Aviationdave there will be some cool attendees. Hope you enjoy the class, it's pretty interesting.

Too bad you can't make it Sunday, with the exception of Aviationdave there will be some cool attendees. Hope you enjoy the class, it's pretty interesting.

Yeah, timing didn't work on Sunday for me as I've got a family birthday thing to go to. Woulda been nice to put some faces to some forum names...next time! Hope everyone has fun

You can bite me Biotch :wub:

I will be there Sunday to keep Andy, Dave and Crump in line. I have a feeling it will be a full time job.

The last one you mentioned, he is indeed a trouble maker, he alone is a FT job :P

I will be there Sunday to keep Andy, Dave and Crump in line. I have a feeling it will be a full time job.

Bring ketchup, that will keep Crump in line

Remind Andy how terrible he is whenever he attempts to troll someone in person

Bring a book with pictures of planes to keep Dave quiet should he get too loud (or decides to send a picture message with noise in the middle of a presentation/talk)

Have fun :)

Bring ketchup, that will keep Crump in line

Remind Andy how terrible he is whenever he attempts to troll someone in person

Bring a book with pictures of planes to keep Dave quiet should he get too loud (or decides to send a picture message with noise in the middle of a presentation/talk)

Have fun :)

:lol: you so crazy girl :P

I was really looking forward to this open house at the NWS. Unfortunately I have the flu and so does my daughter. I had this day all planned out and now I am sick. This stinks!!!!!

Ian,

I am very sorry to here about your grandfather passing. I might not know you like others do, but I know how you feel. Hang in there and God bless!!!

Archived