joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Michael

wxmx

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interaction between lows (Fujiwhara interaction) is more a function of distance and size, and less so of intensity. Distance is big, so no interaction really, and if there was any, Leslie's size would cancel any intensity difference and make Michael it's b**ch.

correct... its really more a function of the circulation over a specific radius of the storm rather than the maximum vorticity. I am working on some real time circulation plots that show this more eloquently than words alone.

correct... its really more a function of the circulation over a specific radius of the storm rather than the maximum vorticity. I am working on some real time circulation plots that show this more eloquently than words alone.

In the meanwhile, Holland and Ritchie (1993) offers a pretty thorough guide to matters of vortex interaction. Echoing Phil, circulation tends to be the primary factor, although if the smaller storm has a much greater cyclonic vorticity, there will be major distortions to the larger vortex. For reference, Figure 7 from the aforementioned paper:

j8jp1i.png

Lol. ERCs at 30N

Well when the storms further S can't even develop an eyewall, I guess you gotta start somewhere :)

Both the GFS and ECMWF are now projecting Michael to become larger in the next 24-48 hours which seems to be in line with the current microwave presentation looking for a larger core to reorganize. We'll see if the increased shear the NHC is expecting materializes. The latest GFS track for Michael looks rather fishy given how slow it is recurving Leslie.

Omg, I've never seen you so dismissive. You are just way over it.

It's actually scientifically interesting. You don't often get eyewall replacement cycles so far north in the Atlantic. By the time most hurricanes hit 30N, they're ready to recurve and undergo ET. Here, conditions were so favorable, we got an ERC. It's just goes a symptom of how far anomalously north the polar jet is displaced right now across the entire NH.

GFS_06_opNH_H500DP_0006.png

It's actually scientifically interesting. You don't often get eyewall replacement cycles so far north in the Atlantic. By the time most hurricanes hit 30N, they're ready to recurve and undergo ET. Here, conditions were so favorable, we got an ERC. It's just goes a symptom of how far anomalously north the polar jet is displaced right now across the entire NH.

Not only that, but it looks like it will be a "soft" ERC...that is, that the cycle went so smoothly that there might be a second round of intensification after the ERC completes. That's a rarity even for deep tropics systems.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mimic-tc/2012_13L/webManager/basicGifDisplay48.html

Do ERC's tend to go smoother in microcane that in larger systems? To my untrained mind, it would seem that rebuilding a smaller eyewall would be less disruptive that if the eye is of a great size but on the flip side is whether a small system is more susceptible to being greatly weakened by a change because of its overall small size. Just curious.

You know.... looking at the GFS' runs the past few days, I have to say that it is a bit concerning... despite the size difference.. with how it depicts the interaction between Michael and Leslie due to the inaccuracy of portraying Michael's intensity. Combine this with EWRC that will increase Michael's size, I can't help but wonder if we are trending towards a solution that will result in a more Fujiwhara-like interaction versus Leslie shearing/absorbing Michael.

You know.... looking at the GFS' runs the past few days, I have to say that it is a bit concerning... despite the size difference.. with how it depicts the interaction between Michael and Leslie due to the inaccuracy of portraying Michael's intensity. Combine this with EWRC that will increase Michael's size, I can't help but wonder if we are trending towards a solution that will result in a more Fujiwhara-like interaction versus Leslie shearing/absorbing Michael.

Why are you concerned? If one fish eats another in the loserzone of the North Atlantic, does it matter?

Hey, ask them how Igor was there.

In all seriousness, I would personally love to chase a major storm headed for the Bay of Fundy area (yes, I know further west).... but just to witness the storm surge.

I'll concede the wind data from land stations were impressive-- and in most cases the highest winds happened within an hour or two of the lowest pressure, suggesting a vaguely tropical structure.

Not only that, but it looks like it will be a "soft" ERC...that is, that the cycle went so smoothly that there might be a second round of intensification after the ERC completes. That's a rarity even for deep tropics systems.

http://tropic.ssec.w...fDisplay48.html

Not if it pulls a Leslie and upwells cold waters underneath.

Of some minor interest, the interaction with Leslie really messes with the SHIPS.

09/08 06z SHIPS

ftp://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/atcf/stext/12090806AL1312_ships.txt

From 72-96 hours, every parameter drops from except for 2, the first is persistence which changes from contributing -1 to 0, and GFS Vortex Tendency, which changes it's contribution from -1 to +26, overwhelming every other parameters weakening and thus showing a net gain in intensity from this period. A look at the 00z GFS shows between this time, Michael interacts heavily with Leslie and begins to get absorbed by Leslie's significantly larger circulation.

Of some minor interest, the interaction with Leslie really messes with the SHIPS.

09/08 06z SHIPS

ftp://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/atcf/stext/12090806AL1312_ships.txt

From 72-96 hours, every parameter drops from except for 2, the first is persistence which changes from contributing -1 to 0, and GFS Vortex Tendency, which changes it's contribution from -1 to +26, overwhelming every other parameters weakening and thus showing a net gain in intensity from this period. A look at the 00z GFS shows between this time, Michael interacts heavily with Leslie and begins to get absorbed by Leslie's significantly larger circulation.

I don't recall an Iris-Karen type interaction in the Atlantic since Iris and Karen. Will be interesting to see.

Only in the tropics... 11 pm disco says Michael will be absorbed by front in 96 hrs or so... 100 mph cane to absorption by front :lol:

THE CYCLONE IS THEN FORECAST TO

BECOME ABSORBED BY A FRONT BY DAY 4...ALTHOUGH IT IS STILL UNCLEAR

IF THE CULPRIT WILL BE THE WARM FRONT TO THE EAST OF LESLIE...AS

SHOWN BY THE GFS...OR THE COLD FRONT TRAILING LESLIE...AS SHOWN BY

THE ECMWF.

This storm strikes me as being at least somewhat annular in nature, tight inner core and not much else. Don't let the somewhat blah color of the convection fool you, this is one heckuva violent storm.

Yeah it does, it's just smaller than a typical annular but the tropical storm force radius isn't much larger than the hurricane force radius which makes it somewhat annular.

Archived