THE DEPRESSION CURRENTLY LIES BENEATH A TROUGH AXIS...WHERE THE

UPPER-LEVEL WINDS APPEAR RELATIVELY LIGHT. GLOBAL MODELS SHOW THE

TROUGH AND THE CYCLONE MOVING IN TANDEM...WHICH KEEPS THE

DEPRESSION IN A MARGINALLY FAVORABLE UPPER-LEVEL WIND PATTERN FOR A

DAY OR SO. THEREFORE...SOME SLIGHT STRENGTHENING IS SHOWN IN THE

SHORT TERM. BY LATE WEDNESDAY...THE TROUGH IS EXPECTED TO LIFT OUT

AND WEAKEN. THIS WILL CAUSE AN INCREASE IN NORTHWESTERLY

SHEAR...AND WILL LIKELY RESULT IN WEAKENING. THE SYSTEM IS

EXPECTED TO DEGENERATE TO A REMNANT LOW IN A FEW DAYS.

THE DEPRESSION IS FORECAST TO MOVE SLOWLY WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AROUND

THE SOUTHWESTERN PORTION OF A RIDGE OVER THE EASTERN ATLANTIC

DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS. AFTER THAT TIME...THE CYCLONE IS

EXPECTED TO TURN NORTHWARD AS THE WESTERN PORTION OF THE RIDGE

ERODES.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 03/2100Z 25.6N 42.2W 30 KT 35 MPH

12H 04/0600Z 25.8N 42.9W 35 KT 40 MPH

24H 04/1800Z 26.4N 43.7W 35 KT 40 MPH

36H 05/0600Z 27.3N 44.3W 35 KT 40 MPH

48H 05/1800Z 28.0N 44.5W 30 KT 35 MPH

72H 06/1800Z 28.5N 44.5W 25 KT 30 MPH...POST-TROP/REMNT LOW

96H 07/1800Z 29.5N 44.5W 20 KT 25 MPH...POST-TROP/REMNT LOW

120H 08/1800Z 30.5N 44.5W 20 KT 25 MPH...POST-TROP/REMNT LOW

$$

FORECASTER BROWN/CANGIALOSI

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me, or has NHC's threshold for numbering TD's decreased in recent years?

Well, 12 out of 13 have become tropical storms (TD 13 would become 13/13 if it becomes Michael...and that by itself should probably be a record), so they aren't just trigger happy

Well, 12 out of 13 have become tropical storms (TD 13 would become 13/13 if it becomes Michael...and that by itself should probably be a record), so they aren't just trigger happy

Yeah.

The problem doesn't lie with classification, but just the general fact that the systems have been lacking quality this season.

As I am not particularly knowledgeable about their accuracy of this tool as it's not something I see referenced very often, I would like to ask what kind of accuracy the microwave wind detection has. In this particular case, this SSMIS scan, taken as it, it would show TD13 being very close to Tropical Storm strength, with a decent region of >30kt and some spots which look to be 32/33kt.

post-2153-0-61551500-1346716072_thumb.jp

For what it is worth, the SHIPS is becoming more enthusiastic about this with this each run.

12z - peak of 32kt at 36 hours, falling to 22kt by 120 hours

18z - peak of 38kt at 36 hours, falling to 29kt at 72 hours and 20kt by 120 hours

00z - peak of 40kt at 96 hours, still 36kt at 120 hours, LGE mod peak of 49kt at 120 hours

06z - peak of 45kt at 108 hours, LGE mod peak of 54kt at 120 hours

It has also dropped the expected shear considerably

The circulation of hamsandwichstorm™ has actually looked really good since first light Sunday, maybe even earlier. As mentioned earlier in the thread, all it needed was persisent central convection. IIRC similar, snarky derogatory remarks were made by...ahem...the same person about what would go on to become Category 2 Kirk, so I wouldn't rule out some decent intensification. LOL

This Bittycanetm needs some sort of cute children's book written about it..."The Littlest Cyclone" or something.

One day the littlest cyclone was taking a stroll through the North Atlantic. The littlest cyclone was very lonely since it was in the middle of the open ocean with no other weather systems to play with, and it was also grumpy since dry air and shear were constantly battering it. Then the littlest cyclone saw a trough approaching and got excited, finally a friend! The littlest cyclone chugged towards the trough and asked "Will you be my friend?" The littlest cyclone got sheared to smithereens and it's remnants were scattered across thousands of square kilometers. Don't talk to strangers. The end.

One day the littlest cyclone was taking a stroll through the North Atlantic. The littlest cyclone was very lonely since it was in the middle of the open ocean with no other weather systems to play with, and it was also grumpy since dry air and shear were constantly battering it. Then the littlest cyclone saw a trough approaching and got excited, finally a friend! The littlest cyclone chugged towards the trough and asked "Will you be my friend?" The littlest cyclone got sheared to smithereens and it's remnants were scattered across thousands of square kilometers. Don't talk to strangers. The end.

I think you need some sort of "heavy" for the book that hates Bittycanetm at first, but then learns a valuable lesson to appreciate ALL tropical cyclones. I suggest HurricaneJosh.

All of them this season. Or at least, he credibly could have.

Yeah. It's interesting how the season hasn't been suppressed numbers-wise-- like in 1982/1983-- but it has been in terms of quality.

Yeah, it's just fun to say too. This season has struggled tho, intensity wise.

Yeah.

One thing I'll say, though: both Ernie and Isaac were two of the most awesome Cat 1s I've tracked or witnessed.

Archived