• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Tropical Storm Isaac, Part 1: Moving Through The Eastern Caribbean Sea

Looking this morning, I do have a bigger concern that throws some caution in the wind in the short term. There is way too much cyclonic activity in the Atlantic basin going on ahead of our disturbance. Invest 94L is competing against another wave that is organizing in the ITCZ around 11N 47W. There wave is in a better thermodynamic environment, embedded in higher TPW and warmer waters. What this feature is doing currently is its keeping Invest 94L further north, and may be partially responsible for its further north than expected track so far. The further north track is will will hurt Invest 94L in the short term, as it ingests dry air from the SAL to its north. the system ahead of it also might rob it of important southerly inflow if it starts feeding into this new disturbance rather than Invest 94L.

Overall the Atlantic basin is in a great state atmospheric wise for development. However, the models seem to be projecting that there will be too many areas of low-level vorticity that will be competing against one another. The problem with this is that stratiform convection produced by these disturbances enhances anticyclonic outflow, which enhances upper level troughs and lows on their periphery as upper level ridging is enhanced. You need a certain distance appart in order for tropical disturbances to peacefully coexist, and it seems the Atlantic is a bit too crowded at the moment

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who?

That man has the sweetest up-armored Chevy Suburban painted in OU crimson anyone has ever seen. And he is working on his met doctorate, so he could join the forum as a red tagger. But he wouldn't. I suspect he wouldn't like questioning. Storm2K has a policy, no questioning or criticizing red tags, that might be more his speed.

I liked the episode where the outer bulletproof glass window wouldn't roll up on the armored Suburban, and he got cut by flying glass half an inch from his eye. So close to awesome. Smug and commercial, but until his show was cancelled, a good source of post-hurricane season and pre-tornado season weather p0rn.

Anyway, back to being glass half full optimistic, since maybe the GFS is trending Euro, the Euro day 10 of a well defined but undeveloped wave heading for the Yucatan, with strong ridging to its North apparently suggesting continued WNW motion, not a prediction by any means, but this would seem the time of year a wave could develop quickly on its way towards Tampico.

Other than Josh, not as much fun for the board as an SNE hit, but still a worthwhile result. Vis satellite staring, speaking of competition, I'm not sure the area of convection closer to 10ºN doesn't have it own hint of cyclonic turning, competition in the mean term, but if the Southern blob can maybe pull the NHC tagged center further South, it might be a good thing. And the envelope of disturbed weather could suggest a large system.

That man has the sweetest up-armored Chevy Suburban painted in OU crimson anyone has ever seen. And he is working on his met doctorate, so he could join the forum as a red tagger. But he wouldn't. I suspect he wouldn't like questioning. Storm2K has a policy, no questioning or criticizing red tags, that might be more his speed.

I liked the episode where the outer bulletproof glass window wouldn't roll up on the armored Suburban, and he got cut by flying glass half an inch from his eye. So close to awesome. Smug and commercial, but until his show was cancelled, a good source of post-hurricane season and pre-tornado season weather p0rn.

That's awesome and everything, but I seriously have never heard of him.

Anyway, not to sound gulfcanish, it is keeping my natural born optimism in check that dynamic guidance, including GFDL and HWRF, and the reliable globals aren't mondo gung-ho on this. But we still have the less reliable statistical models.

And one 6Z GFS perturbation suggests something well below 984 mb for SNE, so I can't be glass half full optimistic on a NYC/SNE hit, but I can be glass 5/64th.

post-138-0-28076000-1345385860_thumb.gif

There is so much wrong with this post that I don't even know where to begin. Perhaps you haven't been in Texas very long. One only needs to go back to 2008 to know that Gustav and Ike suggest otherwise.

You do realize that both of those cyclones never regained their prior intensity after crossing cuba dont you? Not the best examples to try and make a point. Gustav only had a very brief crossing of Cuba but it so disrupted the inner core it couldnt recover under ideal conditions. And Ike had about 4 double wind maximums throughout its entire life after the core was disrupted over cuba.

You do realize that both of those cyclones never regained their prior intensity after crossing cuba dont you? Not the best examples to try and make a point. Gustav only had a very brief crossing of Cuba but it so disrupted the inner core it couldnt recover under ideal conditions. And Ike had about 4 double wind maximums throughout its entire life after the core was disrupted over cuba.

You do realize that Ike came at Cuba from the northeast, right?

So your comment about it best that these storms go north of the Caribbean is not 100% valid.

You do realize that Ike came at Cuba from the northeast, right?

So your comment about it best that these storms go north of the Caribbean is not 100% valid.

wind_10m_f300.png

00z FIM shows the track that would be ideal. And yes I know where Ike came from. It is best for this to track N of the caribbean because given how far north it is and that the models break the ridge down it would most certainly interact with those islands.

Shall we not discuss the anomaly from hell that is Ike, and lol @ FIM model. As for 94L, the main target area remains the southeastern United States if 94L can develop, it's quite comical because every single GFS ensemble member is more amplified than the OP, and as a result, farther NE in terms of track.

I suggest you brush up on some tropical history before you categorically dismiss any storm crossing Hispaniola or Cuba... ;)

1900_Galveston_hurricane_track.png

Not 100% sure about this yet, but I may have to take a break from this system for a while. Phil has some very valid concerns about other areas of vort disrupting 94L and altering its track to some degree. The GFS was showing this a few days ago, but not to this extent. If this continues to get bumped up north, we could be waiting a few more days for development due to TUTT intraction and dry air entrainment, although the 20 knot heading won't help either. Still way too many variables that need to settle before we know what may actually happen with this.

FWIW

atlsfc72_latestBW.gif

It's a P4

Popo's Party Pad Perturbator

You realize Popo was born in Mexico, legally became a US citizen in the 1980s, and after years working a union job, is finally enjoying retirement.

And we had nowhere to go on Summer weekends in 2009. And the fun we have fishing in the surf. Like the time Tio Mario caught a 35 pound redfish. I catch mostly croaker and hardhead.

Besides, Josh got no closer than Texas City, whereas he can get within a couple of miles of the Florida coast w/ almost no chance of drowning and still experience near max winds.

ETA: This storm has had 1938 written all over it anyway, and Metfan has assured me he will drive to the Hamptons if that occurs. And I like Metfan.

Up to 70% might be TD 10 by tonight or tomorrow morning.

1. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS CONTINUE IN ASSOCIATION WITH A TROPICAL

WAVE LOCATED ABOUT 950 MILES WEST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS.

SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATES THAT THE CIRCULATION OF THIS SYSTEM HAS

BECOME A LITTLE BETTER DEFINED TODAY...AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS

APPEAR CONDUCIVE FOR A TROPICAL DEPRESSION TO FORM DURING THE NEXT

DAY OR SO. THIS SYSTEM HAS A HIGH CHANCE...70 PERCENT...OF BECOMING

A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES WESTWARD AT

20 TO 25 MPH.

Circulation seems to be tightening up despite some dry air interaction. Could also argue theres a bit of a WSW movement.

Vorticity disruption may not be hampering this too much at the moment. Maybe its just the models not handling this process well.

GFS EnKF control has a much more organized system than the OP GFS FWIW

2012AL94_AMSUSR89_201208191432.GIF

Archived