• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS HAVE BECOME MORE CONCENTRATED IN

ASSOCIATION WITH A TROPICAL WAVE LOCATED A COUPLE OF HUNDRED MILES

SOUTHWEST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS. SLOW DEVELOPMENT OF THIS WAVE

IS POSSIBLE DURING THE NEXT FEW DAYS AS IT MOVES TOWARD THE WEST AT

15 TO 20 MPH. THIS SYSTEM HAS A MEDIUM CHANCE...30 PERCENT...OF

BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

20120818.0319.noaa19.x.color_89_150.94LINVEST.20kts-1009mb-111N-255W.100pc.jpg

Well Euro has it an open wave at 144 hours before its moving so damn fast. Approaching Hispaniola in 6 days is unreasonable.

Not necessarily. Both Ernesto and Hermine moved very fast through the Atlantic MDR thanks to a very strong mid-level ridge. For Example, Helene moved from 30W to 70W in around 6 days. If Invest 94L does not develop, a fast moving tropical wave is certainly capable of attaining that forward motion.

With that said, I agree that the ECMWF seems unlikely, as we are in both a favorable MJO state with a CCKW currently over the disturbance. These equatorial wave features support the robust development highlighted by the GFS.

213ex3r.gif

Not necessarily. Both Ernesto and Hermine moved very fast through the Atlantic MDR thanks to a very strong mid-level ridge. For Example, Hermine moved from 30W to 70W in around 6 days. If Invest 94L does not develop, a fast moving tropical wave is certainly capable of attaining that forward motion.

With that said, I agree that the ECMWF seems unlikely, as we are in both a favorable MJO state with a CCKW currently over the disturbance. These equatorial wave features support the robust development highlighted by the GFS.

What year ernesto are you talking about? This yrs was POS and it moved quickly, but nothing near what the Euro is showing for 94L. And what yr Hermine are you talking about? And I mention forward speed as a limiting factor from Stacy Stewart at the NHC discussing the limiting impact it can have when the speed is as extreme as what ECMWF is showing.

What year ernesto are you talking about? This yrs was POS and it moved quickly, but nothing near what the Euro is showing for 94L. And what yr Hermine are you talking about? And I mention forward speed as a limiting factor from Stacy Stewart at the NHC discussing the limiting impact it can have when the speed is as extreme as what ECMWF is showing.

Probably meant Helene.

Yea I meant Helene... Ernesto was only slightly slower. Typically TC that move with very rapid pace are lacking convection and not vertically stacked with their mid-level circulation center, if there is one. That is what the ECMWF is depicting as the system progresses westward across the Atlantic and into the Eastern Caribbean. Again, I think this is an unlikely solution given the current atmospheric pattern over the tropical Atlantic basin.

I posted yesterday's 0Z and 12Z GFS ensemble 500 mb means at 300 hours and 288 hours, and there was a trend Westward, and the trend is even more pronounced to the SW on last night's 0Z GFS 500 mb ensemble means at 276 hours. dProg/dT suggests a possible ECUSA threat. This far out ensembles and trends may be more informative than individual op runs, even though the 6Z op GFS is interesting.

ETA: Euro solution more potentially interesting locally, an undeveloped but defined wave entering the Gulf, but 94L looks pretty healthy on the SSD Central Atlantic satellite loops (should get a floater soon, I'd think).

Maybe Euro forecast involves the dry air to the N and W on CIMSS TPW Mimic loop although light shear, and Easterly at that, would seem to protect it somewhat.

post-138-0-57917100-1345300010_thumb.gif

GFS brings this out of the Bahamas, grazing Florida, then has a landfall in NC.

Scrapes all of the eastern states thereafter.

What to take away? This run was weaker and further west. Might be something to keep an eye on if it continues.

We have a certain European friend who doesn't even develop this.

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS

1. NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS.

2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY.....NEGATIVE.

3. REMARKS: ADDITIONAL DAY OUTLOOK--PSBL LOW LEVEL

INVEST NEAR 14N AND 50W ON 21/1800Z.

Up to 50% already.

A TROPICAL WAVE LOCATED ABOUT 300 MILES WEST OF THE CAPE VERDE

ISLANDS CONTINUES TO PRODUCE DISORGANIZED SHOWER AND THUNDERSTORM

ACTIVITY. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS APPEAR CONDUCIVE FOR GRADUAL

DEVELOPMENT DURING THE NEXT FEW DAYS...AND THIS SYSTEM HAS A MEDIUM

CHANCE...50 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE

NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES WESTWARD AT ABOUT 20 MPH.

I think this will eventually make a sharp turn to the NW, but the question is when it will do so. It could keep on trending west and become a concern for the Gulf Coast, or it could stop trending west and become a concern for the East Coast. Certainly, I think the United States needs to watch this one, as this one could be a formidable Tropcal Cyclone by the time it nears the United States.

I think this will eventually make a sharp turn to the NW, but the question is when it will do so. It could keep on trending west and become a concern for the Gulf Coast, or it could stop trending west and become a concern for the East Coast. Certainly, I think the United States needs to watch this one, as this one could be a formidable Tropcal Cyclone by the time it nears the United States.

Why?

Archived