• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
New England Severe weather thread number ...I think XI ?

OSUmetstud

Awesome!

I know these are not unheard of, but I wonder how many we average / year off New England...

We've had at least 2 waterspout events this season:

- 8/15/12: Quonset Point, RI

- 7/24/12: 3 total off of Plymouth, MA

Any I'm forgetting? I thought maybe we had another one earlier in Narragansett Bay but not sure.

I'm also impressed how early the Quonset Point waterspout formed, around 8AM, way off the best diurnal dynamics.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CTZ003-MAZ008>011-152245-

EASTERN HAMPDEN MA-EASTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-TOLLAND CT-WESTERN HAMPDEN

MA-WESTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-

539 PM EDT WED AUG 15 2012

AT 537 PM EDT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

STRONG THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING WIND GUSTS TO 40 MPH AND

PENNY SIZED HAIL 2 MILES NORTHEAST OF MONTGOMERY...OR ABOUT 9 MILES

SOUTHWEST OF NORTHAMPTON...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 15 MPH.

Seems reasonable, but not so sure about the penny size hail.

Strongest part of the storm is about to go over BAF so the metar should confirm shortly.

Awesome!

I know these are not unheard of, but I wonder how many we average / year off New England...

We've had at least 2 waterspout events this season:

Any I'm forgetting? I thought maybe we had another one earlier in Narragansett Bay but not sure.

I'm also impressed how early the Quonset Point waterspout formed, around 8AM, way off the best diurnal dynamics.

Great airmass for them to form though. These really juicy, tropical type airmass with lots of low level CAPE are perfect for stretching the low level vorticity into the horizontal.

Great airmass for them to form though. These really juicy, tropical type airmass with lots of low level CAPE are perfect for stretching the low level vorticity into the horizontal.

I see. Good explanation, and reminds me... I forgot the tropical airmass and low level vorticity 8/10/12...

Add the likely KBID waterspout (though not sure that was confirmed):

We've had at least 3 waterspout events this season:

- 8/10/12: off Block Island, RI (not yet confirmed)

BTW I found my dream home today in CT (at least one that's not on the water) up on Johnnycake Mountain in Burlington near the farm. Incredible view and close to civilization.

I bet I know which one. Jeeze the trouble we used to get ourselves in up there in high school... That road that cuts across the farm never had houses on it and it took the cops two years to figure out we hung out up there, ans by then we went to college. You can see bdl from that house over the metacomet range or whatever that's called. The top of that road near the radio tower is about 1150', maybe a tad higher. They get slammed in ice storms...crushed.

Archived