HANCOCK COUNTY IN NORTHWEST OHIO

LUCAS COUNTY IN NORTHWEST OHIO

WOOD COUNTY IN NORTHWEST OHIO

* UNTIL 1030 PM EDT

* AT 914 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE

HAIL...AND DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 75 MPH. THESE STORMS

WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 14 MILES WEST OF SYLVANIA

TO 11 MILES NORTHWEST OF CUSTAR TO 27 MILES SOUTHWEST OF RAWSON...

AND MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

SYLVANIA...

CUSTAR...

WATERVILLE...

TOLEDO...

BOWLING GREEN...

FINDLAY...

WHITEHOUSE...

WESTON...

HOLLAND...

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weather isn't an exact science. It wasn't during the days of Sonny Eliot, it's not now.

Weather will ultimately do what it wants to do. That doesn't mean weatherman should be chastised when the average joes don't receive the weather they think they should receive.

Considering that from a large scale perspective, there was good moisture advection (dewpoints increasingly from the upper 60s to lower 70s) along with hot temps today (temps around 90*F) and a relatively deep trough progressing into the airmass (heights centered below 564dm), it was a safer bet than not to expect widespread showers/thunderstorms, along with the chance of severe weather. It's very difficult to account for features such as Mesoscale Convective Systems and what impact they'll have on the large scale setup.

In any event, there's always next time. I'm happy with the t'storm I received this evening.

EDIT: Interesting, hm8's and dmc76's posts bashing DTX were deleted.

lolol

mine was doused in heavy sarcasm, thought it was obvious. I deleted it myself when I saw his was deleted.

Obviously DTX did nothing wrong.

DTX reallly didn't bite much on the severe threat. Basically they said IF there are storms, a few MIGHT reach severe limits. All I want is rain and cooler temps anyway.

Edit to add... the night's not over yet either. There are some small cells building on the back edge. Who knows. It'll do what it wants, hopefully that means it wants to rain.

lolol

mine was doused in heavy sarcasm, thought it was obvious. I deleted it myself when I saw his was deleted.

Obviously DTX did nothing wrong.

Mine was supposed to be a joke but I knew guys like Mr Perfect (Stebo) has NO sense of humor I deleted mine as well.

I'm personally rooting for more heavy showers to develop on the backside of the MCS, similar to what's happening around Ionia right now. I don't mind getting missed by the MCS, but right now, all of Northern Oakland County is on track for 0.1" of rain at most. And considering that this was supposed to be a night of heavy precipitation, that certainly would increase drought concerns here.

As hard as it was raining here I can't help but think a majority of the heavy rain we received just ran off and didn't soak in at all. Not the kind of rain thats needed as the soil is extremely dry, hard.

The rain, however, was some of the most intense I've seen in a while. Had nearly 3" in 50min here at my place, unreal rate. The wind really huffed and puffed a couple times to the point I thought I was going to lose some pine trees. And before the heavy rain and wind hit the sky turned a beautiful light green hue, was quite beautiful.

As hard as it was raining here I can't help but think a majority of the heavy rain we received just ran off and didn't soak in at all. Not the kind of rain thats needed as the soil is extremely dry, hard.

The rain, however, was some of the most intense I've seen in a while. Had nearly 3" in 50min here at my place, unreal rate. The wind really huffed and puffed a couple times to the point I thought I was going to lose some pine trees. And before the heavy rain and wind hit the sky turned a beautiful light green hue, was quite beautiful.

Yep its like dumping a cup of water on a wooden table. Sure over time some of that water will soak into the table but most of it will run off it. It's just like when Las Vegas gets heavy rains, the ground out there is so hard it has no where to go except run off and cause flash flooding.

I wonder if any of the LAF crew got woke up by their storms now, pretty good non-severe line segment rolling through their area as we speak.

Getting a nice downpour and a bit of wind with the cluster moving through Indiana. At least we didn't get totally screwed out of all the rain.. :lol:

I wonder if any of the LAF crew got woke up by their storms now, pretty good non-severe line segment rolling through their area as we speak.

Yep. Pretty awesome lightning and thunder show. Rainfall was tropical. :)

The bucket at LAF has crapped the bed (not working), but the two CoCoRaHS observers on my side of town reported 1.54" and 1.71" in the past 24 hours.

Yep. Pretty awesome lightning and thunder show. Rainfall was tropical. :)

The bucket at LAF has crapped the bed (not working), but the two CoCoRaHS observers on my side of town reported 1.54" and 1.71" in the past 24 hours.

Yeah when I saw that line segment roll your way I knew some of you would be woken up.

Not sure if this one will be officially confirmed

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

1108 PM EDT SAT AUG 04 2012

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0620 PM TORNADO ROLLING PRAIRIE 41.67N 86.61W

08/04/2012 LA PORTE IN EMERGENCY MNGR

PRELIMINARY DAMAGE SURVEY BY EMERGENCY MANAGER INDICATES DAMAGE TO A RESIDENCE SOUTHEAST OF ROLLING PRARIE CONSISTENT WITH A TORNADIC ROTATION. WINDS DESTROYED THE CARPORT GARAGE AND ROOF SEPARATED SLIGHTLY FROM THE FRAME OF THE HOME. A NEARBY BARN WAS ALSO DESTROYED.

According to IWX, they did not send a team out. They are calling it a QLCS tornado, but have not made a determination on EF0 or EF1. They are deciding by photos the EM sent in, but it will officially be a tornado.

Yeah, I know that surveys for these sort of small events are being strongly discouraged right now due to the budget crunch.

Yeah, I know that surveys for these sort of small events are being strongly discouraged right now due to the budget crunch.

That's a shame too. There are many advantages, including public relations. Oh well, I won't belabor the point. I know that there have been threads with hundreds of posts concerning this.

I read something about a concentrated area of damage in Remington on the local met's blog. I don't even know if LOT is aware of it.

Archived