12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
August 2012 Observations and Discussions

NEG NAO

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pattern since August 13th has certainly transitioned cooler both in terms of temps and lower dew points. My last 90F readings was August 5th, so 3 for the month and 21 for the summer right now.

Low temps IMBY have seen a cooler change as well. Since the 13th:

13th: 62.7

14th: 63.4

15th: 67.1

16th: 63.3

17th: 61.0

18th: 63.1

19th: 56.0

20th: 61.6

Compare that to the first 12 days of August lows:

1st: 67.1

2nd: 66.8

3rd: 72.7

4th: 70.7

5th: 72.4

6th: 68.3

7th: 62.1

8th: 68.1

9th: 68.8

10th: 70.4

11th: 72. 4

12th: 67.0

About a solid 8-10 degrees cooler at night compared to early August, but these recent lows are more on par for this time of year, so nothing impressive.

My temp departures for this summer through today are -1.6 June, +1.4 July, and +1.0 August, so my JJA departure is approximately +0.3. Will probably finish just a touch above normal. I've recorded 880 cooling degree days for the warm season so far.

Heights should rise as we end August. Some persistent onshore flow may keep heat away for a time, but I still think we see a surge of warmth at some point during the final week of August. Overall looks above normal between 8/25 and 8/31.

test8.gif

The fact that this august is turning out to be similar to last August just depresses me.. It doesn't bode well for the winter.. Also.. It would be nice to have a NORMAL fall...

Actually, if I remember correctly, early/mid octobter was super hot.. I went pumpkin picking one afternoon and it was ridiculously hot!

The fact that this august is turning out to be similar to last August just depresses me.. It doesn't bode well for the winter.. Also.. It would be nice to have a NORMAL fall...

Actually, if I remember correctly, early/mid octobter was super hot.. I went pumpkin picking one afternoon and it was ridiculously hot!

last August featured alot of rain. Not seeing that this year at all.

yes-Columbus Day weekend had close to 90 degree weather followed by snow 2 weeks later...

last August featured alot of rain. Not seeing that this year at all.

yes-Columbus Day weekend had close to 90 degree weather followed by snow 2 weeks later...

From 8/14 - 8/31 last year August was quite wet between slow moving tstorms 8/14, Irene and remnants of Lee.. The last of the 90s was aug 10th last year.

In October some areas reached the upper 80s on the 9th.NYC :84EWR: 88

its been a beautiful week and it will only get better with more sun and blue skies until further notice. How refreshing is it to not have to worry about rain/storm chances. Needed dry stretch of no rain and sun for sure.

I think today will be the first day of mainly sunny skies. Sun - Tue we had periods of clouds, Sunday most the day. Still looks like we are moving back into a warmer than normal pattern that should see potential heat within the 8/25 - 8/31 period and beyond into Sep. I think we will have a chance to tack on 2 or 3 more 90 degree days prior to Sep in the warmer areas with 1 or 2 widespread throughout the region. The big caveat is Isaac of course.

I think today will be the first day of mainly sunny skies. Sun - Tue we had periods of clouds, Sunday most the day. Still looks like we are moving back into a warmer than normal pattern that should see potential heat within the 8/25 - 8/31 period and beyond into Sep. I think we will have a chance to tack on 2 or 3 more 90 degree days prior to Sep in the warmer areas with 1 or 2 widespread throughout the region. The big caveat is Isaac of course.

Generally agree - a warmer than normal pattern looks to resume by later this week into September. As far as heat, 850mb temps are fcsted to be fairly steady in the +14 to +15c range through early/mid next week, which supports high temps in the 85-90F range on average. I can definitely see EWR tacking on maybe a few more 90F days in the next 2 weeks, though I think for the majority of the region, it'll be borderline, with most days in the middle or upper 80s.

Archived