Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July 22-27 Severe Potential

hm8

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am somewhat impressed by the setup for severe weather the next two days. The SPC SREF significant tornado ingredients highlights the northern WI and MI area, as well as part of Ontario and NY State in the next two days.

radar images showing the squall line in Northern Indiana and Dayton OH this morning:

post-1182-0-78470800-1343153097_thumb.pn

post-1182-0-60602100-1343153098_thumb.pn

Anyone else like the Sheboygan to Appleton to Wausau, WI area along the northward retreating WF tomorrow afternoon near the 21z timeframe? I see capping issues, however if something can go along the WF it could be nice with 35 kt swly flow at 850 mb overlapping the convergence zone over the boundary.

Hows it looking for Toronto?

I like most of Southern Ontario, OH,MI,PA, W NY, between 21z and 06z tomorrow evening into the overnight hours, there will be a cap in place, but it will likely break in areas mentioned above due to the dynamics and lifts with this upcoming system, i think there could be a decent tornado threat, and i wouldn't be surprised if we have 10% or 15% tornado (maybe hatched) i think in Ontario/Northern OH could have a threat of a strong tornado or two during the night time hours, and they could have a moderate out due to the time of night, tomorrow nights situation could be an overnight tornado event

post-8044-0-65633500-1343170125_thumb.gi

Starke county Indiana got blasted. 80 mph winds destroyed one hanger and damaged a couple more at the Starke coun ty airport in Knox. 8 airplanes were either damaged or destroyed.Huge trees are down at the county courthouse. I don't have a link but WSBTand WNDU have pictures of the damage. This was the 8 am Eastern time storm.

I was on my way to knox from Plymouth and pulled off of U.S.30 at the Marshall/Starke county line to watch the storm. I always have my anemometor and I only recorded 30 mph winds. The rain was falling so hard it was a white out. The trees a couple miles west of me were bending really close to the ground. I wish I had had my camera.

June 6th, 2010 anyone? Reminds me a lot of that little overnight event we had with the EF2 and EF4

Yes this reminds me of it, where tornadoes occurred in the Upper Ohio Valley and Lower Lakes, tomorrow night could be very active for OH/MI/PA/W NY/Ontario, i am having a gut feeling tomorrow could be a moderate risk for these areas

I like most of Southern Ontario, OH,MI,PA, W NY, between 21z and 06z tomorrow evening into the overnight hours, there will be a cap in place, but it will likely break in areas mentioned above due to the dynamics and lifts with this upcoming system, i think there could be a decent tornado threat, and i wouldn't be surprised if we have 10% or 15% tornado (maybe hatched) i think in Ontario/Northern OH could have a threat of a strong tornado or two during the night time hours, and they could have a moderate out due to the time of night, tomorrow nights situation could be an overnight tornado event

Thanks! I am starting to get very excited for this potential as it has been a very lackluster summer for severe wx around these parts so hopefully this produces!

Also how is the hail threat looking like with these storms?

Starke county Indiana got blasted. 80 mph winds destroyed one hanger and damaged a couple more at the Starke coun ty airport in Knox. 8 airplanes were either damaged or destroyed.Huge trees are down at the county courthouse. I don't have a link but WSBTand WNDU have pictures of the damage. This was the 8 am Eastern time storm.

I was on my way to knox from Plymouth and pulled off of U.S.30 at the Marshall/Starke county line to watch the storm. I always have my anemometor and I only recorded 30 mph winds. The rain was falling so hard it was a white out. The trees a couple miles west of me were bending really close to the ground. I wish I had had my camera.

From Twitter, the county's tower also got hit:

post-830-0-57648000-1343173044_thumb.jpg

Hey you all! For the second time in my life, I'm in Ann Arbor, MI. When can I expect these storms to impact the city or somewhere nearby? Will they still be individual supercells or have congealed into a line already as they move E/SE?

It seems like DTX is playing the "we'll decide when it happens" card this time, so it's still anyone's guess. Thus far, all the various models and forecasts seem to agree on is "yup, there'll be some storms in SEMI Wed night, and some may go severe" and that's about as far as they're going.

Thanks! I am starting to get very excited for this potential as it has been a very lackluster summer for severe wx around these parts so hopefully this produces!

Also how is the hail threat looking like with these storms?

The GTA looks good for tornadoes definitely. When you have a 20 in the STI category you've got a good shot. However the Significant Tornado Parameters paint a better picture IMO and with that at a 2 and 12 on the SCP for NW Ohio it looks pretty ominous. I'd say Southern MI, Northwest to North Central Ohio and all of lower Ontario have a good threat for severe weather tomorrow. Obviously the more north you go the less instability, but there will be more rotation aloft to offset that. Will be interesting to see if the CAPE can stay around 2000 j/kg during the overnight hours, especially with a robust South wind. I will say I'm actually quite concerned for tomorrow, especially after seeing a setup like this come to fruition once before. However the low pressure was closer to Lower MI/Northern Ohio in 2010 compared to now

18z NAM looks pretty ominous around here tomorrow evening.

I'm keeping my optimism at bay of course, given how fickle these types of convective setups can be.

Thinking this might be more of a N Michigan event or north of 69 tomorrow night. It's Thursday that might get interesting if the overnight MCS lays down a few OFBs that the coming front interacts with thus spawning some interesting stuff.

Thinking this might be more of a N Michigan event or north of 69 tomorrow night. It's Thursday that might get interesting if the overnight MCS lays down a few OFBs that the coming front interacts with thus spawning some interesting stuff.

If it played out like that, it would be a miss for SEMI, all the stuff Thursday will end up South of here.

Keep in mind though that the instability/moisture gradient however will be well to even our SW until tomorrow evening.

Usually in these types of setups, the storms always follow the instability/moisture gradients. So there's nothing stopping them from diving SE into our area.

I'd be happy with .75 of slow rainfall overnight and maybe a decent storm or two to watch. I used to love watching the severe stuff, but after a whie, I realy don't care to deal with the storm sewers backing up into my basement again via my sump pump. I've got to dig up that stupid gravity drain line and plug it off. The drain commission around here is quite literally useless and do not care in the least if your home floods anytime there's a quick inch of rainfall. Our entire block has problems with this and you can't even get someone from the DC office to return a phone call about it

I don't know if this will be useful for tomorrow or not, but the three models that did the best for today over MN were the UKMET, ECMWF, and Gem Global, closely followed by the Nam, as far as short term High resolutions models I don't know, I left for work at Noon and got home at 10pm Central time. If anyone wants to see accumulated Precip for the UKMET go to the link below. The Ukie was really good 24-36 hours out. Hope you all get some rain.

http://meteocentre.com/models/models.php?mod=ukmet&map=na&run=00〈=en

Archived